No announcement yet.

Lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a race boat. Not a piece of furniture.

I agree with Mr Franck.
    Don't worry too much about making it real pretty. Get it done, make it nice. Then go out and have some fun with it.
    As for my paint recommendations: Barnes & Noble. I bought a book titled "How to paint your car." Then I studied carefully. I went with a one step Urethane auto paint. It looks good and holding up fine so far. I went to my local auto paint store and explained to the expert what I was doing. He set me up with everything I needed, paint, hardener, thinner, strainers, stir sticks, mixing cups, etc, etc...
    I spent a week prepping the boat and one night painting it, done.

Comment

Easypoxy

Jack - I may be wrong but Joe is probably speaking of Easypoxy paint made by Pettit marine paint. I use it also as it is durable,easy to apply and sells for $35 a quart as opposed to high dollar base coat clear coat automotive paint. It does take a few days to totally cure but it makes for easy repaires as it is sold at most marine supply stores.This finish pictured was done by foam paint roller in about 1/2 hour. Not for show but go.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=45
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tomtall; 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM.
      Tom L.

Comment

somebody once told me a good rule of thumb for a race boat. if it looks good from 6 feet after a six pack its fine. LOL
        too bad i don't drink beer, mine looks terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post
          Jack - I may be wrong but Joe is probably speaking of Easypoxy paint made by Pettit marine paint. I use it also as it is durable,easy to apply and sells for $35 a quart as opposed to high dollar base coat clear coat automotive paint. It does take a few days to totally cure but it makes for easy repaires as it is sold at most marine supply stores.This finish pictured was done by foam paint roller in about 1/2 hour. Not for show but go.

Sorry Jack. Tomtall is correct, Easypoxy is the correct name of the paint that I use. If the boat is prepped correctly the paint job will come out very nice.
          Joe Silvestri
          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
          JH/JR

Comment

Well, there is another reason as to why you take time to make your boat pretty. Therapy . After coming home from a day of client and employee moronitous, it is a great way for me to relax. It's also another way for me to show my daughter a little pride in ownership, cause she has to polish the boat while I set up the motor before the races. We like em pretty. To each their own.
            Bill Schwab
            Miss KTDoodle #62C
            -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I am sure with this information I can achieve a good finish. I will probably put more time into it than I should just because that is the way I am and it is good therapy. As far as some of my other questions I guess I will figure them out on my own. Trial and error and throw money at it.

My motto is you can't take it with you. I learned this after being dead for 20 minutes. We are having fun now and doing things we only dreamed of. Not sure how my wife is going to take to me getting back into boat racing though. She may only let me build them.
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Hull

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post

What kind of hull is that?

Comment

I have one more question. What do people prefer to use to cover over nail and screw heads, and small seam areas.

Thanks.
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Covering nails, seams etc.

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                    I have one more question. What do people prefer to use to cover over nail and screw heads, and small seam areas.

Thanks.
                    I use a mix of epoxy and cabisil (powdered silica) for a strong durable cover. The color is a milky white when dry but somewhat transparend depending on the amount of silica. If finish will be clear exposing the wood grain I use a lower amount of the silica to keep the epoxy as clear a desired when set while still retaining the ability to stay in place on non vertical surfaces till it sets. Can also be used for seams. If color desired can use powdered wood fibers and some use colored powder in the epoxy.
                    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by jsilvestri View Post
                      Sorry Jack. Tomtall is correct, Easypoxy is the correct name of the paint that I use. If the boat is prepped correctly the paint job will come out very nice.
                      2 coats of Easypoxy with the proper sanding in-between looks likes a gel coat finish, awesome!
                      And it lays on great with a brush.

Comment

Working...
                      X