No announcement yet.

Deep V fiber glass CSR hull test clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess a little background on this project is in order. Why a CSR? I am originally
    from Akron Ohio and raced CSR in OH, MI, PA, IN, and WS in the 70's and 80's, and
    raced Top'O about 10 times. I quit racing after graduating college and moving to
    NW Florida mainly due to no races nearby and no money for it. During my racing
    years for a while I raced DSR, but CSR was always the class I liked best!

I've always been into designing boats from a very early age, and did race a few
    of my own with some success. But having limited funds as a teenager limited the
    level a props and motors needed to be competitive. My fiberglass career started in the
    late 80's when I went into the boat manufacturing business. I designed a 16'
    saltwater fishing boat, built the plug and molds in my parents garage, and proceeded
    to start marketing. Today Cape Horn Boats is a major player in the offshore fishing
    boat market with our main business being in the 24'-36' boat. During the years
    I designed about 20 different models that all went into production.

During the 90's and into the 2000's I built RC raceboats under the Microburst and
    Speedmaster name. The Deep-v 's set numerous records and have won many
    national championships. Believe it or not, I learned more about hull design with
    these boats than any of the full-size I had done. After selling the RC companies
    and getting out of the racing I began to think a lot of the stock outboard stuff.

Last year I bought a turn-key CSR to get my feet wet again. First impression
    was the speed difference between the new boats and the old 30-H CSR's that
    were only running in the 58mph range. In no time I began thinking of doing my
    own design, but doing something a little different. I drew plans for the new v bottom
    last december and began working on the plug during christmas break with the help
    of a few guys that worked for me. The design is not very fancy at first glance
    but it has a lot of things incorporated into it that I felt would be needed to race
    on the course, with turning ability being a top priority ( most important in RC stuff).
    Speed so far with the 2 boats running is better than the flat bottoms that the 2
    motors/props came off of. I believe the best of the best are running in the mid
    60's ( GL, can you confirm this?) so we have a ways to go. But what it will do in
    an actual race with 8 or 9 boats is the only test for any hull!

One thing I can say is that this boat has very little similarities with what is being
    raced today as far as handling is concerned. It turns different, it appears to
    be blow-over proof, carries speed through rough water, less driver effort, and you
    don't have to move the CG back to the danger zone to get it to hang. We are going
    to continue to work on this thing to get the most out of it. As far as selling them
    in the future, it is a possibility. Any CSR guys in the area of Pensacola are welcome to
    come and drive this boat! The boat will be raced at the winternats. Chris Fabbro
    Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Chris, thanks for the information and I think its great that you are trying something new. You should come back home next summer July 10-12 for TRORA's race in Akron, OH on Springfield Lake.
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

Joe- I'd love to come back and race there!
        Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Chris, we have four CSR's in the club and I'm hoping to have 6 by next summer. TRORA would love to have you come up and race. Check out TRORA.com for the pre-race and post-race article from the race this year. By the way, testing on Friday with racing on Saturday & Sunday. I'd love to take your CSR for a ride. You can take mine out too if you wanted.
          Joe Silvestri
          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
          JH/JR

Comment

V...

Mr. Fabbro... 65mph will put you in the meat of the pack in CSR right now. The biggest difference at the Nationals this summer between 1st and 8th or 9th place wasn't top end, it was corner speed. There's a handful of guys that can run to the first pin with the leaders, but fall off once the wheel is cracked. Seems like you know more about this then I do, so I'm sure you'll have it working just fine. Good luck with it and I'm looking foward taking that offered ride! Greg Lyons
            Future J dad!

Comment

Originally posted by BOATNIK View Post
              it appears to be blow-over proof
              I love it!

Which unlimited said that?

Not to deter you at all, keep on keeping on!
              http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Any updates? For soem reason the other day this boat popped into my mind (thinking it would be an awesome lake toy because water conditions and boat traffic would be less of a concern, yet still have a small fast ride.

Anyway, was curious if there was any headway? is it competitive? Has it actually been raced?
                Silas Jordan
                Windham, Maine
                CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Tom Nuccio has one and was going to race Topo Michigan , but had to back out due to a work injury last week. The boats have been raced and are very competitive. They are not hitting the 64/65 mph speeds the top guys are running, but are hitting 60 in heat racing.

Comment

Thats great. (not his injury of course..)

I would love to have one.. Like I mentioned it looks like it sould make a great lake toy, even maybe with just a y80 and a small prop.
                    Silas Jordan
                    Windham, Maine
                    CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                    Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Working...
                    X