• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Formula500 View Post
    i have heared a container for the boat to Florida cost 1000 Euro
    I´t is too much...
    I would like to come to florida ...
    Yvonne,

Even though your boat is not legal you should still come to Florida for the Worlds in 08
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
      Yvonne,

You would not be able to race your Formula 500 boat in the 1100cc class, as it is for hydroplanes only (no tunnels) per APBA rules. THe cost of shipping goes down (per boat) if you can share containers.

Florida is usually beautiful in October!

DW
      David;

I have been out of the sport for awhile but if you are racing for the worlds would this not be sanctioned by the UIM with APBA support. Hence she would be able to race her outfit.
      Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Not Really

Originally posted by Dew1us View Post
        David;

I have been out of the sport for awhile but if you are racing for the worlds would this not be sanctioned by the UIM with APBA support. Hence she would be able to race her outfit.
        Well, UIM does not have a 1100cc class or a 500cc runabout class. Since these are distinct APBA classes, UIM allows for "World Championship" race under APBA rules. APBA PRO rules limited the length of sponsons to a percentage of the overall boat length. Thus, the rub for Yvonne using her Formula 500 rig to compete in this class. She could, of course, secure an APBA compliant hydro and compete (like some of us in the USA are doing for the "O" classes). She could also drop her 500cc engine on a runabout and have the ride of her life!!

Or she could come and spectate, enjoy the sun and regail us with stories about her nifty flip.
        David Weaver

Comment

Sponson Lengths

If the UIM Worlds are under the APBA sponson length rule, how was it the Europeans were able to race their boats in the previous World's in 1993 in Lakeland?

Did it change from then to now?

Chris J.

Comment

Apba? Worlds?

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
            Well, UIM does not have a 1100cc class or a 500cc runabout class. Since these are distinct APBA classes, UIM allows for "World Championship" race under APBA rules. APBA PRO rules limited the length of sponsons to a percentage of the overall boat length. Thus, the rub for Yvonne using her Formula 500 rig to compete in this class. She could, of course, secure an APBA compliant hydro and compete (like some of us in the USA are doing for the "O" classes). She could also drop her 500cc engine on a runabout and have the ride of her life!!

Or she could come and spectate, enjoy the sun and regail us with stories about her nifty flip.
            I guess what you are saying it is not a true World Championship. It would just be another APBA/USTS event in these two classes which are both very fast and exciting to watch. Being so what title would be given to the winner? I suspect that there will be no European entries in these two classes. In the past when the US held a World Class event, the USTS filled in with some of the more popular US classes. This made for a great weekend of racing. At one time the PRO catagory advertised their hydroplanes as "World Class". I guess this is all changed. This is just my oponion, nothing ment by it... Bob

Comment

500-1100

500 and 1100 will both be UIM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. It is no different than the OPC and INBOARDS have WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. The only difference is that 500 and 1100 are not UIM CLASSES as David said, but since APBA is thE sole sanctioning body for UIM they only need a UIM SANCTION to conduct a world championship in a non UIM founded class. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Small View Post
                500 and 1100 will both be UIM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. It is no different than the OPC and INBOARDS have WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. The only difference is that 500 and 1100 are not UIM CLASSES as David said, but since APBA is thE sole sanctioning body for UIM they only need a UIM SANCTION to conduct a world championship in a non UIM founded class. Hope this helps.
                Tim,

Im confused, so where does Yvonne's boat fit in if she decides to make the trip.
                HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                  Tim,

Im confused, so where does Yvonne's boat fit in if she decides to make the trip.
                  On the beach....
                  David Weaver

Comment

F500's are tunnel hulls not hydroplanes.
                    Mark
                    G-11
                    125H
                    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                      Wow! strong hull, and a very tough lady Yvonne's boat is a DAC correct ? Paul will you be coming to the Worlds in 2008.
                      Dan

to answer your question - the hull is a Lucini, built in Italy. It's a composite hull and is petty much the same as the hull they use in Formula 1000 races - tunnel boats with stock Selva engines on the back. The only real mods they make for the boats that are used in F500 compared to F1000 is to lower the transom height, bolt on a different mid-section and modify the rear cowling.

As you said, they are pretty strong hulls.

A couple more photos of Lucini hulls for you.....#34 Danielle Roda from a few years back and #77 Bernard Marszalek (more recent). Sadly Bernard is no longer with us
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Corin_Huke View Post
                        Dan

to answer your question - the hull is a Lucini, built in Italy. It's a composite hull and is petty much the same as the hull they use in Formula 1000 races - tunnel boats with stock Selva engines on the back. The only real mods they make for the boats that are used in F500 compared to F1000 is to lower the transom height, bolt on a different mid-section and modify the rear cowling.

As you said, they are pretty strong hulls.

A couple more photos of Lucini hulls for you.....#34 Danielle Roda from a few years back and #77 Bernard Marszalek (more recent). Sadly Bernard is no longer with us
                        Thanks Corin, its good to hear from you.
                        HTML Code:

Comment

To answer Chris's question, in 93 the worlds were for 500 Hydro. Since this is a UIM class it was run under UIM rules. Same thing with the worlds that were run in the ocean, I mean Cypruss Gardens, it was for 700 Hydro. Since UIM does not have a 1100 class I guess we have to run under APBA rules. It is sad that we are going to have a "World Championship" but the Europeans are not allowed to participate with their boats. You would think that there would be some way to under APBA rules for motor displacement and use UIM rules for everything else. I had heard that there was possibly going to be 3 or 4 European drivers to come over for 1100. I would love to compete against them and see where we stack up against them. Hopefully something can be worked out.

Comment

Point Counter Point

Originally posted by Doug Hall View Post
                            To answer Chris's question, in 93 the worlds were for 500 Hydro. Since this is a UIM class it was run under UIM rules. Same thing with the worlds that were run in the ocean, I mean Cypruss Gardens, it was for 700 Hydro. Since UIM does not have a 1100 class I guess we have to run under APBA rules. It is sad that we are going to have a "World Championship" but the Europeans are not allowed to participate with their boats. You would think that there would be some way to under APBA rules for motor displacement and use UIM rules for everything else. I had heard that there was possibly going to be 3 or 4 European drivers to come over for 1100. I would love to compete against them and see where we stack up against them. Hopefully something can be worked out.
                            Doug,

Your explanation about the previous events is correct. I appreciate your comments regarding the 1100cc competition. THe Europeans can purchase, build or borrow an APBA compliant 1100cc, much as I have to do in order to have a UIM compliant 250. I hope some Europeans will consider finding a conforming APBA capsule hydroplane.

BTW - Your comment about Cypress Gardens is too generous. That was an ocean with a hurricaine passing through it!!

Happy Holidays!!

DW
                            David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hall View Post
                              Doug and Chris, The reason the 93 race included all as well as the 700 race 97 was because the UIM rules allowed all types of boats IE: laydown , propriders capsules, tunnels. These classes were 0500 0700. since that time UIM has a restrained cockpit rule like our capsule rule so Lay downs propriders are no longer legal in 500 & 700. UIM has no 1100 class any more but they recognize our APBA class or Classes. The rule APBA has about sponson length is why European boats are not legal. This rule can be changed but it requires membership approval. I said at the time capsules were mandated that the European Hydrocats were a natural, but no one aggreed so we are were we are because of short sightedness. The Hydrocats maynot be good here on our wide turns as our Hydro's are not good on 1 pin turns like they run in Europe. For the race in 2008 in USA 0125, 0175,&0250 are UIM classes. They are not 250H 175H& 125H. 500 runabout and 1100H are US classes and go by the APBA US rule that the UIM accepts and recognizes. To answer Bob's question about world championship statis. The UIM reconizes Our classes and rules and accepts a World Championship in these classes. Remember that when the UIM had The O classes that Motors were from the displacement of class to next higher class IE: OA 176cc to 250cc, OB 251cc to 350cc Oc 351 to 500cc OD 501 to 700cc, OE 751 to 850cc OF 851 to 1100cc. This is why Konig made 6 and 8 cylinder motors to be legal in OF. Our big Konigs are really E motors. Also it is possible to have World Championships in all of our runabout classes and be UIM recognized.
                              Hope this sorts out the confussion. If you want to change the sponson rule get put on the balot and attend the meeting and lobby you butt off for this or remain quiet and complain about the way things are.

Comment

Class rules in UIM are now 125, 175, 250 & 350 - hydro only
                                500 & 700 - capsule (tunnel) boats only

There is no comparitive European 1100cc outfits, but it would be interesting to compare the 700cc tunnels against the 1100cc hydro's. Of course giving away 400cc the European boats would have no chance, especially on the big sweeping turns......or would they? Even if these craft are not compliant with the APBA rules it would ne nice to see a "demonstration". Perhaps the teams (Demmler) can be pursuaded to find space in their containers when shippiing...

The remaining classes run under APBA can be deemed World titles if enough foreign Nationals take part in the event.........for example, the same way the SST45 / SST120 Worlds are held in Kankakee (?)
                                Team 27
                                F:250 Hydroplane Racing

Comment

Working...
                                X