What to do, what to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do, what to do.

It is my opinion so don't hammer me on this, that there are far more races and racers involved in Outboard racing than in Inboard racing. I have always been on the inboard side of racing (well back in the day anyway) and as a matter of course when trying to get back in naturally decided to go get an inboard hydro. Then I got smacked in the face with the reality of modern inboards and the giant mountain of money needed to run one. When I saw my first outboard race I was shocked at how cool it was. The people all seemed so friendly and inviting, I gave it a look and decided to take a chance. As most of you know I fell flat on my face BUT I had fun in the process of acquiring a boat, motor etc. The problem is I still want to race but I need to SIT in the boat. This leaves me with two choices (I think anyway) of going Vintage inboard and running it maybe 2-3 times a season. I could get a tunnel capsule boat and travel WAY long distance to race it.....neither of which interests me. So I put this question to you, is there anything out there for me or should I just sell my safety gear give up? I ask this because you never know, there ight be something out there that I don't know about.....maybe canoe racing...

What's the physical limitation that requires you to sit?
    11P Joe Sees III

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      I had surgery to remove part of my stomach due to cancer. This left me with two problems. First I can't really do all the bending and twisting and I don't have the stamina. I had even thought of maybe only doing one race day per event.

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      What about those 12 ft or so deep V hulls with 40 hp outboards, they are sit down and look like fun.
      Stamina is very important.
      Sorry to hear about your health issue with big C but great you have the desire, best to you.

laydown in 300SSH?

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have the a problem putting pressure on my stomach area......I had thought about it but my stomach issues would probably make this a no go.

• Mike29J
      Mike29J commented
      Editing a comment
      Never seen a lay down 300. Interesting...

Click image for larger version  Name:	72487439_10214688533597444_824693601266040832_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	474197 Click image for larger version  Name:	71830376_10214688534397464_4166847635581304832_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	474198 Dave, get a hold of the folks at Southern Maryland vintage boat club and try to put together a 70 or 75hp little Critchfield or Allison and call it day. Many of the guys are 65 and older and have a ball. There is no stress, no pressure and I believe they have at least two or three races in Southern Maryland every season. Concerning your health issues, I would forget about an Inboard hydroplane or outboard tunnel. Find a nice little V bottom, customize the seat to make you comfortable and go have fun.

Southern Maryland Boat Club - Home http://bit.ly/2ZcF0ud
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HRTV; 12-21-2019, 07:24 PM.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

David if you have the money, and the need for speed on the water I would suggest a rocket ship like the 350 cch hydro or 700 cc R in the USTS

Your adrenaine kicks up , they go so fast you don't even have time to feel anything except to turn left
      Last edited by Rodney 34; 12-21-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

The thought had occurred to me to just say the hell with it and go get a kart.......May be the sun has set for me on boat racing......but thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

• HRTV
          HRTV commented
          Editing a comment
          Morning Dave,

With all due respect, Karting will not be any cheaper or any less of a beating on your body. Merry Christmas man, I wish you the best.

Not worried about the cost and the last time a ran a kart my hips and rib cage were black and blue so I hear that.....

Comment

You might try a 500 or 700 capsule hydro in the USTS. You sit down, not a lot of stamina needed and you can go fast. The safest ride in boat racing.

Comment

That is why I want a sit in boat. Not a fan of capsules though, and I live in NJ so to find racing I'd have to travel pretty far......I was hoping maybe there was something out there that I just didn't know about. I have to come to terms with my reality and that means time to let it go.......

Comment

Text me 863-808-2043

Comment

Just try sitting in a kneeler there is only one way to find out if it’s a bad idea and that is trying. modify the steering to bring it back to the driver and Give it a go

Comment

Dave,

I know that you want the rush of getting to drive, but another option has become pretty popular in the IOA. Some of our "more experienced" guys have now become what they call the "owners club" and still own and maintain equipment, and have younger guys drive for them. They still get to be involved in the races, enjoy the friendships with the rest of us, mess with equipment, but not have all the sore muscles at the end of the day.

This can also can be a great way to get new people involved by counting on the guidance and experience of the owner to help get them going far sooner than a new guy trying to figure it all out.

From your posts you seem to really love boatracing and have great energy for it. Maybe this could be an alternate way to stay involved....

Steve

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                    Dave Cofone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is just not my thing. The reason I'm selling and giving away my stuff is so someone else gets a chance to get started. DVORA helped me with a good amount of free stuff so I am doing the same. If I can't drive there is no reason to be there, I hate to watch from the sidelines, it's depressing.

Dave,

This will be my 40th year in racing. I raced for the first 37. But 8 years ago I got bladder cancer and after racing off and on for the next five years, I decided to put a young man in my boat as I couldn't race at nationals. Best decision I ever made. That young man has shown me and the world what could be done with my equipment. Do I miss racing? Yes, every day. But being a member of the "Owners Club" has proved way more satisfying than I ever expected. All I can say is don't knock it till you try it.

Jeff
                  5-P

Comment

I have been a member of the ‘Owners Club’ since about 2010. It works for me
                    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Owners club for nearly 20 years now. It has been even more fun than driving. I will watch a few races on occasion but Owners are not spectators.

Comment

Working...
                      X