Press realese just sent out from APBA HQ - sobering numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reed28n View Post
    I have boats, motors and props all over the country to help fellow racers succeed....
    Point of clarification: you do not have any of the above in Allentown, N.J.

Signed,

I couldn't resist.

Comment

• KPRO minimum weights

[QUOTE=ram95;170445]
      Originally posted by bill van steenwyk View Post
      Alex:
      The only place I would part company with your opinions as stated are regards the weight rule in K-PRO, and your comments regards the safety committee. There are some safety issues that are too important to be left to a political body,

Well said Bill. My point on the "weight" was simply that adults are shoving kids into a paper-bag boat - Like, they're really ready for that at 11.

Alex
      This is getting off the theme of this thread, but because it was brought up on this thread, I have to comment:
      The lack of minimum weights has not been an issue in KPRO! We raced KPRO at the Nationals, the Hartford USTS race and the World Championships in Florida. We really don't need to be saved from ourselves! We don't need to fix what isn't broken.....
      Peter

Comment

• APBA Board of Directors: 11/7/2010
        Follow up Open letter to APBA Board

Another season has just concluded and the continued decline in membership (-12%) and loss of sanctioned events continues under the current leadership.
        In my business world the loss of 12% of customers and decline of income from the product the business sells would be a guaranteed departure of the top management. I don’t know how long the Board thinks this can continue or if there is any hope of turning the ship around before it runs aground.
        I ask just a few questions:
        (1) The President has spent thousands of $$ on a driving school program the past couple years, purchasing boats and equipment and incurring overhead cost that could have better been spent supporting struggling races with reduced cost so the races would generate some income rather than $0.00 for APBA.

QUESTION:
        How many new drivers have come from this effort?

(2) The deal cut to purchase tunnel boats from a west coast supplier is now in trouble. There are orders unfilled and questions about product quality issues.

QUESTION:
        Who was responsible for reviewing the viability and long term ability of the boat company to ensure this investment of APBA funds were a good business venture? (Who’s budget is paying for this?)

(3) The 30% decline in membership last year added to the 12% this year adds up to 42% of APBA customer decline in 2 years. This, combined with the loss of sanction revenues for the past 2 years must have the APBA income balance sheet bleeding of red ink! (How long has it been since the financial records of APBA have been audited?)

QUESTION:

This week you have the chance to look in the mirror and ask yourself the question that many members of APBA are asking, “HOW MUCH LONGER CAN THE PERSON IN COMMAND CONTINUE and is NOW the time for a change?”

Below for your easy reference and for the new board members information is my letter of concern from last year. I hope this week is the time for action! Not more half- baked ideas that cost APBA $$ and have little to no return on investment.

Respectfully submitted,
        Howard Shaw
        APBA member #1487
        Region 10
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        APBA Board of Directors: 3/26/2010

Open letter to APBA Board

As a long time member and paid customer of the APBA organization I feel compelled to write you this letter of concern.
        I have been a member since 1963 of APBA paying my dues each year as they escalated from $34.00 a year to today’s rate’s of over $190.00. I have been a race chairmen, commodore, region activity chairman, served on APBA category commission, an approved Referee in all divisions and volunteer for many duties to support boat racing when called upon.
        All this comes, as you know with no monetary reward. In fact the 100’s of us that perform these same duties across the country actually pay APBA to have the pleasure to perform these volunteer duties.
        APBA gets it income from members, “paying customers” every year as membership’s dues and also from our efforts finding race sites and putting on races that generate sanction income for the ABPA business model.
        As a customer of APBA I ask you to please remind President Weber that in any business the customer is king if the business is to survive. Customer satisfaction is paramount for any business that hopes to grow and prosper.
        President Weber has shown over the past years that under his leadership that customer satisfaction simply does not exist and the recent decline in business income bears out that fact. The 30% decline in membership, 20% decline in sanctions, along with President Weber’s personal agendas on reversals of agreements, and inability to see the big picture, have lead to lay offs in the office as your customers become disenchanted and go elsewhere to spend their time and monies.
        I have been advised that President Weber, when questioned, about the insurance agreement that he did not realize his wife worked for that company awarded the contract. Are you kidding me? Does President Weber think we are all idiots, or is it just more of the issues at hand in the management of the A.P.B.A business.
        Boat racing will exist with or without A.P.B.A., there are other options out there in spite of what some would lead you to believe.
        I’m sure that if you ask President Weber he would have you believe that the economy has caused this down turn and you can’t lay this at his feet.
        I keep coming back to a statement that President Weber made at the Detroit national meeting that “he hoped he was not going to be the last APBA president”. Was this premonition on his part or did he know what many members are now finding out that President Weber has no customer satisfaction skills or presence and his management style is simply “my way or the highway” dictatorship.
        The future of APBA is truly in your hands as APBA board of directors. Due to the fact that the paying customers (members) no longer vote in the APBA president, you as the board now control that selection process and we the customers are out of the process.
        I conclude this with the hope that you as the Board will take the needed steps to improve the customer satisfaction efforts of the APBA and let your paying customers, once again have a voice that is heard as well as the chance to provide a racing series or venue as a part of APBA without needless interference by a third party because he/she disagrees with the process they have designed to run the series/events. If you choose to do nothing and disregard this letter that’s fine, again, it is your choice to change the coarse APBA is on or let it run down the current track of extinction due to lack of customer service, high cost, diminishing sanctions and declining customer base.
        There are some good people at your disposal who understand customer satisfaction and opening the door to all groups or racing series that will bring new members and fans to APBA. It simply will take a President willing to open his/her eyes and listen to all customers that wish to pay for the privilege of being part of the APBA family and support the growth of boat racing for everyone.

Respectfully Howard Shaw
        Region

Comment

• Matt, I did not mean to make you think your posts were "angry". I was trying to let everyone know that our sport is not just in the US, and give other racers a chance to see what goes on in other countries. Had I not had the opportunity to meet (chat) with other racers from other places, I would not have known how big our sport really is. It is really fun to look at the pics from other places. It is like my friend, Roderick Kumbong, he is from Malaysia, and some of the racing stuff they do is just fabulous. The country seems to be very poor, the houses look like shacks, but, when they race, all they do is smile and cook! We need to get out of the politics and get back to just racing and having fun. Sorry if I offended you.
          Wendy McCourtie Smith

Comment

• I have your clarification

Originally posted by 14J View Post
            Point of clarification: you do not have any of the above in Allentown, N.J.

Signed,

I couldn't resist.
            I lend stuff to people who race......

Comment

Working...
            X