Some Creative Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbass View Post
    I want to start a discussion focused on using today’s off-the-shelf equipment for racing, probably OPC racing. There has been some discussion under the posting titles “where do you draw the line”, and I want to re-open that discussion focused on new members, new classes and new thinking.

It is clear, at least to me, that boat racing (classic stock, mod, pro, and OPC) is on a steep decline. Life does not revolve around boat racing, but it is a great hobby and pass time for the rusty mechanic, old an feeble to discuss (me), and the young looking for a place to stay out of drugs and other devious activities. It is not cheep, but neither is a new car, and many a youth buy some very expensive cars. However, what we have at hand is a clientele with little or no opportunity to buy new equipment that can be run on the lake for an hour of fun or at a racecourse for some real competition. The alternative is a jet ski and they are not cheep either.

So, I wish to propose some alternatives for discussion and hope other alternatives are posted. I understand that it is difficult if not impossible to start a new class and have enough competitors to fill the class for several years. There are alternatives to the problem.
    • For example, the 45SST class – allow stock off-the-shelf 70HP engines to run with the 45s. Maybe score them separately and evaluate each year. This concept could be used in any existing class.
    • Start a class of off-the-shelf engines banded by HP, boat, and propeller type. I think this has already been done elsewhere. Evaluate results and fine tune.
    • Start a class of 4-cycle only, maybe in the 30HP range. There are lots of 4-cycle alternatives on the market. Run them with whatever class available maybe sport C.
    • Consider allowing after market parts such as lower units, and electronics. Tohatsu America is working on some aftermarket modifications to their EPA approved 50HP fuel injected engine so it can perform above the magical stock RPM range. Allow nose cones and after market gear ratios. Manufacturers are more likely to support racing if minor aftermarket modifications are required to make a race product.

Anyone with a reasonable boat should to be able to compete at some level. Once the competition begins, many will find their way into the sport. Do others have some positive ideas?
    Neil Bass

Todays youth's want everything to be turn key (very difficult for us) Dirt bikes,Quads, jet ski,video games and so on are pretty much one stop shopping. That said after purchase when racing comes to mind motor head type people who want to compete seek out racing. This is exactly what one of my 4 son's has done with a Quad ,yamaha banchi he does not want to race boats because he say's he can not do it enough and wishes to be able to aquire his equiptment easily. Overcome this type of problem and growth will increase.
    I believe this is what in the 50's made stock outboard so large in numbers and is now the main reason why the numbers for all boat racing is in a steady decline.
    I know for a fact that Pro equipment is very hard to aquire even with well intended dealers that is why for growth to come local major engine and boat manufactured equipment is necessary for real growth.

Pat Wright

Top Hydro
    because in the end there can only be one

Comment

Originally posted by MN1 View Post
      It seems that the marine dealers were also a (blade in the prop) at promoting and sponsoring races in their local community.
      When these dealers receives info on racing from their motor manufacturer, they start to develop insight to our sport. They want to get involved in racing or sponsor a race boat.
      Or they may just want to hold a race on the local river. All this helps produce more races, which helps produce more racers, which produces more interest in boating.

So when a motor manufacturer stops supporting boat racing, one blade is removed from the prop, which removes one more blade (the dealer), which removes way more than one blade (the racers).
      It One Big Cycle!!!

Mark
      Mark this is one of the most accurate and concise statements ever written about OPC racing and very eloquently put. I am certain it will be quoted and repeated many times over the coming years. I hope everyone can remember that it was you who said it and Hydroracer.net where it was posted.

Comment

competition

Who ever Champions this Idea please set up any new class so many engine
        Manufactures can in time compete against each other. Do not I repeat do not make the mistakes of the past and limit manufactures. As I have said inthe past Mercury was the best thing to happen to stock outboard when the made engines on the 50's and the worst thing for stock outboard when they stopped. There are plenty of outboard Manufatures in the world today and we need them to compete against each other. This is a long drawn out process will take several years.

Pat

Comment

what the heck

Come on guy's 1119 views and 31 replies, we need input as they say save for a rainy day well guess what it's raining.... This is not a english class
          just put your thoughts out there most of us wrench turners can't spell
          or use gramma correctly (especialy me when I'm being graded I have one of the girls take over) so lets hear some ideas thats what Neil asked.

Pat

Comment

Nothing to do with the youth!!!

Race, sorry to say issuse has nothing to do with kids, it all lies in the hands of the ones that allow choices.
            Hey maybe parents should be in charge, scary huh???
            We just don't have watr tracks like Lowes, think about it.
            RichardKCMo
            Originally posted by raceright View Post
            Todays youth's want everything to be turn key (very difficult for us) Dirt bikes,Quads, jet ski,video games and so on are pretty much one stop shopping. That said after purchase when racing comes to mind motor head type people who want to compete seek out racing. This is exactly what one of my 4 son's has done with a Quad ,yamaha banchi he does not want to race boats because he say's he can not do it enough and wishes to be able to aquire his equiptment easily. Overcome this type of problem and growth will increase.
            I believe this is what in the 50's made stock outboard so large in numbers and is now the main reason why the numbers for all boat racing is in a steady decline.
            I know for a fact that Pro equipment is very hard to aquire even with well intended dealers that is why for growth to come local major engine and boat manufactured equipment is necessary for real growth.

Pat Wright

Top Hydro
            because in the end there can only be one
            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard K.C. Mo. View Post
              Race, sorry to say issuse has nothing to do with kids, it all lies in the hands of the ones that allow choices.
              Hey maybe parents should be in charge, scary huh???
              We just don't have watr tracks like Lowes, think about it.
              RichardKCMo
              My son's are not kids thats J your talkin about mine are young like 24,,28,,34,,36 and to me thats youth's. 16 to 40 that age group is the one that
              buy's the powerfull Quads,dirt bikes, jet skies and so on. Oh do not comment to much about the J class the third rail of boat racing(by the way had two son's race J years ago) I understand it's importance just feel we need more.

Pat

Comment

Guess Dads have gotten older!!!

Pat, i don't know you from beans,i'm only a spectator and have been to many races as such, don't mean to dictate to anyone, just know what i see, anyways , btw mine run from 36 ,to 48 yrs and my wife has 6.
                At any rate don't get carryed away , 'cause tommorrow's a new day.
                RichardKCMo QUOTE=raceright;92236]My son's are not kids thats J your talkin about mine are young like 24,,28,,34,,36 and to me thats youth's. 16 to 40 that age group is the one that
                buy's the powerfull Quads,dirt bikes, jet skies and so on. Oh do not comment to much about the J class the third rail of boat racing(by the way had two son's race J years ago) I understand it's importance just feel we need more.

Pat[/QUOTE]
                RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Hey guy?? RichardKCMo.

What do, we think, we should know who we're talking to and where they live, just an Idea.

RichardKCMo
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                  X