Chargin Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with info on jim hooker

LOST IN THE MOVE TO ALASKA LOOKING FOR ANYONE WITH PICTURES OF MY FATHER JIM HOOKER AND ANY OF THE BOAT HE BIULT SET UP OR RACED HERE IS A LIST OF THE ONES I KNOW OF:
    1967-1969
    JONES STARFIRES
    BLACK MAJIC SS-100 Jones
    UFO SS-200 Jones
    SUPER SONIC SS-100 Jones
    SS-300 OR K-300 CLYDE PRUITTS STARFIRE
    SK-680
    JAVELINS 1969-1976
    E-24 WATCHEE Dave Baugh
    E-23 GOLD DUST Al Lapointe
    E-25 CHARGIN CHARLIE Al lapointe
    E-34 WATCHEE 2 Dave Baugh
    E-400 DOUG LEAGH
    E-68 CIRCLE JURK OR THE CIRCLE JURK STARFIRE 2 Kelly Stocklin

Comment

• Monday update

Todays morning was spent tearing another v-drive down to get the shield adapter off to post pics on PB in the hopes of finding another one like it to fit. The original v-drive from this boat was sold with that part, so I need help finding a 4" driveline shield adapter that bolts to the top input shaft.

Forgot to take it off the old one Now, that's somewhere in Calif.

So for the day I thought I would mock up the flywheel, motor plate, and alt pulley for fit! Lost one hour grinding the starter nose hole in the block plate larger, they discovered the bolt pattern on the plate was OFF! The block dowels didnt even line up!

Did find another SFI rated flexplate to run.

What will fight me next? June seems too close for everything to fall into place at this rate!

I can ignore trying to finish its original trailer since I now have the tandem licensed and ready.

Finish Paint on its sides, may not happen.

Comment

• Hey wife, post pictures of the motor sitting in place! or resume your rocking!

Comment

• Charging Charlie

Engine sitting in Charlie.
          Attached Files

Comment

• What's in a number?

Well this was just sent to me:
            So, how confusing is this, maybe I'll leave the primer visible until I learn the whole story.
            The whole weekend spent fabricating better hardware, aluminum dust leaves a peculiar taste in ones mouth! Dont know if Banks is possible, safety is a priority, not a race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
              Well this was just sent to me:
              So, how confusing is this, maybe I'll leave the primer visible until I learn the whole story.
              The whole weekend spent fabricating better hardware, aluminum dust leaves a peculiar taste in ones mouth! Dont know if Banks is possible, safety is a priority, not a race.
              Boyd, this posting does not make sense to me, please explain.

Comment

• Sorry

the red x is back.......voodoo upon us. the picture showed a color shot of E25, charley. Transferred it from my email but failed. The wife promised current progress shots so I quit, she can take over. Shooting for testing in a few weeks and possibly going West to Black Lake IF Ione goes well July 3.

Comment

• Cc e-25

Did I send you this before?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dave, nice!

OH MY, is that an Evil Knievel suit? Wonder where I could get one of those?? Number questions prevail! Was #25 your Dads or who?

Nice picture!! Spent another 4 hours finishing up the motor mounts, now it has 4 engine rails, one on top, one on the bottom and the sbc slides perfectly parallel to the stringers!!! Whopps, who forgot the lock bolt? Whoosh

Comment

• More Pics of Charlie and the braces/motor mounts Boyd has made.

Comment

• Charging Charlie update pictures

More pics of where we r in the putting together of Charlie. Boyd is working hard at making motor mounts and braces.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Good shots, show a Janitor fooling around with Charley

Thanks sugar plum. Yes, big block header braces will work IF you want them to, and are quite necessary since the 1 1/2 tubing is very thin. Flowmaster 2 in 1 collectors solved the rusted out former collectors.
                          Hey Kevin, you dig my angle finder checking out the 2 angles of the vintage flame arrestor?? Thought so! Wiring & gauge is temporary!
                          That front mount was not the original for the boat so I had to add material for two reasons: I want to slide the motor forward or back to balance the boat with the power reduction required for SE. I dont think it will carry the nose with less punch and my prop gearing. Secondly, that dropped stringer on the drivers side needed additional strength so the bottom rail was added and those angle additions are bolted to that bottom rail as well as the original 3X2 inverted top rail. Below this, was all the torn damaged stringer wrapping, now filled with new glass. I dont want the stringers to twist at all but stay solid for 4 more decades!
                          Most fast racers of today rely on full length engine rails to stiffen narrow stringers and keep bottoms straight for more speed. Lance Faulkner, SS70 Kilo record holder could extract a few miles per hour from this concept alone. It's a labor of Love for the first all glass Javelin (modified Jones).

Thanks all of you for your encouragement and Bills Welding for his help since I cant weld worth beans! Oh, two cordless drills have now expired! Craftsman tolls arent what they used to be!

Comment

• Charging Charlie update pictures

That is all I got to say about all this, hun!

Love these emotionicons! HEHEHEHEHEHE!

Comment

• 40 more holes drilled today for the sliding motor. Boat guts recleaned of shavings again for the 20th time and motor removed for its new oil pan and pickup tube for the Tans Am Champ oil pan. Hey, we could make sharp right hand turns! Lets do a Reverse Skate, all right turns!

Oh, you will never believe who I just sold stuff to so we can buy another prop! Hint, he ran 317 mph on water!!!!

Parts spam had a right hand 2 blade for $125 and when it arrived, it was rusty as pictured, that's OK. Then upon further inspection were the Initials, D & J !!!!!!!!! Wow, it was a D J prop (Duayne Mudd) the same design as our last racing Lavey SS83! So off to Harold Kindsvater it went for its polish and repair. Harold sure makes a difference in our boats performance, everyone should use him in my opinion! $95 will tune, balance it like new! It takes 4 days total!!!!

Comment

• Let's not keepmit a secret anymore.

I must confess it was I in myjet propelled snow mobile that did over 300 on water. Keep the fan mail coming I appreciate all the attention. Jimmy D.

Comment

Working...
                                X