NBRA Ethanol Challenge Series 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice pictures in deed

If you are allowing ethanol and "+" readings ... you are open to the possibility of other additives that the Digitron can not distinguish. That is why there is no fuel of the day for Divs or Nats.

If there was a required fuel supplier, it would have to suit the most highly modified motors allowed rather than the least modified. The cost would probably be an issue for racers that can bring their own non-ethanol fuel from near home.

Comment

• Mark,

First, I have known Dudley Malone since the 70's - He or Matt would be the last people I would ever suspect cheating. Never heard anyone thinking Ricky was doing anything wrong as he kicked butt in C-stock. Every year is always somebody's year - this year just may be Matt's

Second, look at what boat he is running - you take what I had and add it to what they had - bingo - might just be right combo to go fast.

In all the years I have raced , I have been up front several years and in the back several years . All part of racing - If you or anyone else think there is something fishy about Matt's winnings , then there is a process within NBRA to find out -- but - when you do , let me know I will bet you $100 that they are not fishy in anyway.

You wait - your year will come - then you find out that when you run up front, everyone thinks the only way you could be there is by being "fishy"
      My big year was 1972 in B-1 hydro - no one noticed me till then - that year , our engine was protested and checked three times - guess what , no fish smell found.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art K View Post
        Next season their will be no exceptions, every body will be required to use a ethanol based fuel. Art Kampen NBRA Tech Committee member
        Why? What's wrong with allowing just plane ole gas and oil? I understand the prize money aspect of it, but if someone doesn't mind not being eligible for the ethanol prize money, what does it hurt to allow them to run straight gas and oil?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

• Fuel

It seems like the two people who are doing the *****ing about fuel are people that will not attend a NBRA race to begin with. Also choose to not to attend any NBRA meetings where rules are formed. If you think the APBA format is so great why are you fooling around with us. NBRA is not going to be a clone of APBA. We have decided on a direction to take us forward. I bet you neither one is a member of NBRA.
          I would advise anyone that feels like someone is cheating on fuel to protest the fuel at the next race. Do not call someone a cheater based on a smell ck thats just wrong.

Comment

It seems like the two people who are doing the *****ing about fuel are people that will not attend a NBRA race to begin with. Also choose to not to attend any NBRA meetings where rules are formed. If you think the APBA format is so great why are you fooling around with us. NBRA is not going to be a clone of APBA. We have decided on a direction to take us forward. I bet you neither one is a member of NBRA.
            I would advise anyone that feels like someone is cheating on fuel to protest the fuel at the next race. Do not call someone a cheater based on a smell ck thats just wrong.
            Well said ART again!! One day when there is no other choice why not be ready now.. They will get it worked out to where it can be used in airplanes to..Why wait till the last minute.
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Ahh jeez Art!
              Do you think I'm serious?
              "Give him a pee in a cup test, an IQ test?"
              "Smething smells fishy, I ought to know because I'm behind him all the time?"

Matt is a buddy! He is the the president of my club!

I am goofing on the whole idea of the guys we race with having a stash of Nitropropane and putting it in their fuel just to beat someone as slow as I am...

Jeez.

Comment

• Sorry!

Misconstrued your message!

Comment

• A fuel is a fuel is a fuel

Mike said:

Well said ART again!! One day when there is no other choice why not be ready now.. They will get it worked out to where it can be used in airplanes to..Why wait till the last minute.

There are "barnstormers" with piston-driven prop planes already flying the circuit with ethanol. No it's not for general use, because it takes a certain amount of educating before it's accepted. There have been jets already flying on a very similar fuel as biodiesel -- made from soybeans, and the military certainly has its eye on that proposition.

The Model-T was originally conceived with the idea of burning peanut oil... folks ethanol is a fuel with characteristics of its own. It's not evil nor sinister, it's just ethanol, a fuel which burns rapidly in the presence of oxygen.

There was absolutely no problem when folks wanted to burn methanol (which you can't even drink) and castor oil (which smells funny to some folks too)... I think one of the sanctioning bodies even has classes for such boats, and there's no wailing and gnashing of teeth over that! ??? Wonder why ethanol's use causes so much stink??

Dan
                  O-66

Comment

• Dan,

I don't think it is the problem of just using ethanol fuel - some have induced fear saying that it eats up gaskets, seals , etc. Stories at one time were circulated about high dollars in repairs on cars. Some manufactures won't honor the warr. on some weed eaters and air blowers if ethanol is used. Weather it is true facts or not, this created a group of people against the fuel. Sometimes bad untrue information becomes a belief that the imformation given is true if said enough times .

Comment

• Mark,

I too am sorry if your text was taken wrong - was why I orig. asked you if you were serious or not. Seems you were at one point - anyway sorry to have misjudged your message.

Andy

Comment

• So, those who do not attend are ignorant and unwelcome to give advice or polite criticism ... I thought that WAS the APBA way ...

Comment

• END It Now

NBRA is what NBRA is. If you don't like it, don't race with them. Don't try to change the rules, question a big money sponsor, or any of that. If you want some good clean fun, come race have a good time. Leave the whine arse crap at the other place. We can debate fuels for eons. In fact, if one searches this very website you have months of reading material.

So the challenge is this, instead of challenging the way the fuel is tested, or the fact that it leaves it open to cheating, come and challenge the competitors. But please, check your attitudes at the pit gate.

As Art mentions, NBRA is growing its members. We don't need to have the other organization members coming in and trying to make it like that. So come have fun, accept it for what it is a boat race. I think all the arguments come from folks comparing NBRA to APBA. It isn’t APBA. It never will be. It will stand alone for many many years to come.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Semantics

Originally posted by David_L6 View Post
                            What kind of gas are you buying that would cost that much? Even at $10 / gal. it would take 20 gallons to equal your low number. I don't think many people burn 20 gallons of gas in one weekend.

AV gas! $5 / gal.
                            David,

You run your gas at your $5.00. Just remember, not everyone runs AvGas. Some use a better fuel than that. VP or something. Have you looked at the pricing of this stuff lately ? Running two classes over two days will burn much more than 10 gallons of race fuel the the rigs I race. Not to mention the testing time NBRA gives on Friday's and each race day. Now add on a third class and you are talking some coin for race fuel for the weekend.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                              NBRA is what NBRA is. If you don't like it, don't race with them. Don't try to change the rules, question a big money sponsor, or any of that. If you want some good clean fun, come race have a good time. Leave the whine arse crap at the other place. We can debate fuels for eons. In fact, if one searches this very website you have months of reading material.

So the challenge is this, instead of challenging the way the fuel is tested, or the fact that it leaves it open to cheating, come and challenge the competitors. But please, check your attitudes at the pit gate.

As Art mentions, NBRA is growing its members. We don't need to have the other organization members coming in and trying to make it like that. So come have fun, accept it for what it is a boat race. I think all the arguments come from folks comparing NBRA to APBA. It isn’t APBA. It never will be. It will stand alone for many many years to come.
                              Amen.....
                              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• NBRA races

Hey Dave, when will NBRA be conducting races in the Indiana/Michigan/Ohio arena? I don't have the funds to drive to the current west/western midwest locations that NBRA currently races at. I would gladly "jump ship" if the races were closer. I've raced with alot of those guys at the end of the AOF era, and I agree, they are a lot of fun to compete with.

Originally posted by Dave M View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X