4 more 44's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building 44`s

Having built many 44`s for ourselves. I can tell you it can be very frustating. Built a new one this winter. Had over $ 500.00 dollars of machine work done to the block,added as many new parts as was available. All the tricks I know of. Still has not been raced. the latest problem small hole in the combustion chamber on the exh side of #2. Does not look like it burnt through. No real idea what happened. Back together for this weekend. Hopefully this ends the problems. What I am trying to say even builders that have years of experience do have problems making these engines perform. The 44 pictured above had a ton of teething problems. But boy is it smoking now.Just becuse you spent a ton on your engine they can be big problems. I have watched builders such as McAfee, Kidwell, Vanover & Johnson have their share of problems. Just part of the game.
    Art K

Comment

$$ oh I ment 44

I agree with Art. Did a 44 that ran outstanding for two laps and then it ate the reeds. Fixed that problem and now the lower two cylinders show water in the stack. Well gave up on that one and built a new one. We will try it at Mountain Home.

Alan
      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Yup not everything goes as planned when you run mod.. You work a lot harder and have many bad days waiting for that one time when it all comes together.. When you have that magical race it is then worth it.. The wife keeps reminding me that if I want it easy go back to stock..
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          The wife keeps reminding me that if I want it easy go back to stock..
          I would never again race a "stock" class. My definition of stock and some other peoples definition of stock vary quite a bit.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Stock=supermodified....the only difference between stock and modified, is the stock guys just pretend they haven't cut or changed every intergral part of the motor. Not bashing here, just stating facts. I raced stock for 15 years, it's just too much work!!!

Comment

sideways 44

Our sideways 44 is completely 90 degrees with the pipes straight out the back, should have pics soon, and hopfully running at hilsdale this sunday.

Comment

Our pipes are on about a 20 degree angle, the same as the angle on the piston. Our idea was to have a straight shot out all the way from the piston. Here is a video from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIg7gI6vy5M
                "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

I hope ours runs like that!!
                  our main reason for mounting the power head 90 degrees was to get rid of the 90 degree bend on the exhaust. we'll see what happens!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McAfee View Post
                    Our pipes are on about a 20 degree angle, the same as the angle on the piston. Our idea was to have a straight shot out all the way from the piston. Here is a video from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIg7gI6vy5M
                    That was at the APBA Winter Nationals and was a surveyed course. Kevin broke the record by over 4 seconds but there wasn't enough boats in the race to make it a legal record. The next heat there was enough boats for the record and he had a killer start but the gearbox went out on the first lap. Sometimes you need a little luck to go along with hard work.

Larry Mac

Comment

Fast

I can attest, I have seen the wrong side of those pipes many, many times. Mac's engines are among the top in the nation.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

That's awful kind words Dave, I have watched your pipes many times too!! That's what makes it fun.
                        "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Kevin... The youtube video was AWESOME...
                          Can you say acceleration!!!!

Comment

Video

1st of all that is on SWEET running motor and a fast one at that,but what is just as impressive is the driving skill you have. Great job turning and not backing out.

Also the other boats going in the 1st turn at the start side by side AWESOME!!!

Todd

Comment

D Mod 40 cu. in block

Just saw the question about the Mk55 block... I'd recommend you start with a Mk 35A or Merc 300 block. 40 cubes, but with 5/8" round ports, then cut from there.

Drop me a note if you need help.

Jerry

Comment

more sideways motor pics

Originally posted by Kevin McAfee View Post
                                Here is a sideways motor my dad Larry built.
                                And here it is again; and again (from 2003 HotRod Worlds in Pineville)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X