• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sam View Post
    Yes, those are the right ones
    Thanks Sam..
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

wow over thinking... just built 60 merc for form -e for guy,,, set pistons in with small screw driver,, worked them in gently,, then set crank in.. takes longer,, but know there in there right ,, plus i do extra.. like check piston /ring drag to make samemmmm

Comment

This is how I do it. I lower the crank into the block with a harness running off a pulley attached to the ceiling. I use small aluminum strips held on the piston with a hose clamp. Tighten the hose clamp just enough to compress the rings but not so tight that the strips won't slide up as the piston goes into the bore. Position the ratchet screw so that it is in line with the ports so it will go down into the recessed area so it won't release the rings before they are in the bore. This will be obvious when you start do it. This method has saved me from inventing new ways of stringing various cuss words together.
        kk
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice !

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
          This is how I do it. I lower the crank into the block with a harness running off a pulley attached to the ceiling. I use small aluminum strips held on the piston with a hose clamp. Tighten the hose clamp just enough to compress the rings but not so tight that the strips won't slide up as the piston goes into the bore. Position the ratchet screw so that it is in line with the ports so it will go down into the recessed area so it won't release the rings before they are in the bore. This will be obvious when you start do it. This method has saved me from inventing new ways of stringing various cuss words together.
          kk
          Simple, cheap, and it appears to work, great idea !! Leaves a lot more in the beer budget too.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I ordered a set of compressors from the site I posted earlier..Thanks to everyone for the help..Now this weekend we have to brew some more beer..I think 6 gallons should do the trick!!

Comment

Smart move Mike, buying the ring compressors. Since it's you I'll give you the trick and Teresa won't have to help you.
              Stand the completely assembled crank assembly up in the vice on your cut off driveshaft stand. Put ring compressors on each oiled piston. Screw a 3" or so long stud into the center bearing. Clean your drill press thoroughly(do this first). Clamp stud that is in center bearing(still attached to crank assembly) in the drill press chuck, place block on drill press table and gently lower pistons into block. On my drill press I have a crank up table so it is easy to crank the table up with one hand and guide the pistons into the holes with the other hand. No cussing or wife to get mad at. Usually takes 10 or 15 minutes from start to finish if you've gone easy on the beer..

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dunlap View Post
                Smart move Mike, buying the ring compressors. Since it's you I'll give you the trick and Teresa won't have to help you.
                Stand the completely assembled crank assembly up in the vice on your cut off driveshaft stand. Put ring compressors on each oiled piston. Screw a 3" or so long stud into the center bearing. Clean your drill press thoroughly(do this first). Clamp stud that is in center bearing(still attached to crank assembly) in the drill press chuck, place block on drill press table and gently lower pistons into block. On my drill press I have a crank up table so it is easy to crank the table up with one hand and guide the pistons into the holes with the other hand. No cussing or wife to get mad at. Usually takes 10 or 15 minutes from start to finish if you've gone easy on the beer..
                Bob earlier today I did just what you said and tried it out with a old engine and it looks like the drill press idea is the ticket..My table also raises so I will wait for the reconditioned rods to get back along with the compressors and give it a try.. I will save the beer for celebration

Comment

Working...
                X