What is your trick??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your trick??

Since ring compressors are no longer avaliable for the 44 Merc what is your trick for compressing the rings and loading the crank with the pistons.. I have heard of tie straps, popsicle sticks, fingers and something about lowering the crank with a drill press?

I know the actual ring compressors are the best but how do you do it??..
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

After fooling with the tiny bores of the C Mercs for so long, I thought the 40s and especially the 44s were easy. Fingers, a screwdriver if needed..... I never had ring compressors.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Inst Pistons

Ifyou use Wiseco pistons no problem at all, they just slip right in,because of the ring design.On the other pistons i have winch type device i attach to the ceiling and allows me to lower the crank assy. in small increments. to compress the rings I use my fingers some small screwdrivers to keep the rings aligned on the locating pins. Usually a little cussin! No easy way that I know of. Just go slow, and be sure to ck. the rings for tension, thru the ports after you finish.
      Art K

Comment

I've never owned ring compressors either. I have always used my fingers to compress the rings. Usually, I rest the crank/piston assembly horizontally on the block and let the weight of the assembly rest on the pistons. Then one by one guide the rings into the bores. The only time I've had difficulty with this method is with inline 6 engines. They're just too heavy and complicated for my method. In those instances, I install the pistons/rods into the bores without the crankshaft. Then assemble the crank onto the rods while they're already in the block. This method means I have to be very careful with the needle bearings!
        And like Art says, Always check the rings through the port when you're done. If you broke a ring, it will not spring back out when you push on it with a little screwdriver.

Comment

loading pistons

Give your fingers more room by leaving the reed blocks off the crank. They are easy to put on afterwards by slightly lifting the crank and rolling them in.
          Maroney Racing

Comment

Made a ring compressor out of beer can aluminum to assemble a rack & pinion power steering system. itty-bitty piston didn't fit my collection of ring compressors.
            carpetbagger

Comment

Ultimate Trick

Buy a case of beer before hand. Consume half prior to installing crank. Save other half for during. As for sure you will learn some new cuss words.

hint - Never let the wife help with this stage. To much cussing and yelling and you will be, ummm, on the couch for a few nights.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave I knew there was a reason I said we have to get more beer brewing this weekend!! It must be kind of like when the wife goes to install a new program on the computer..I leave the house for at least 3 hours!!!!

Comment

If u give me a call i can help you with this 209 629 0811. I have an extra set that you can use. send them back when you are done.
                  Lonnie Morris

Comment

If you really want to purchase some here they are. http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s...show=10&page=2

Comment

I just bottled one batch and have another in the fermenter. I don't have to wait to install ring before I can drink it do I???
                      Silas Jordan
                      Windham, Maine
                      CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                      Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

I just found this site..Are these the right compressors: http://www.johnsmcintosh.com/PistonRing.html Price is a little better

Comment

Popsicle sticks ground flat at the tip (instead of a flat screwdriver), beer, and patience.
                          Mark Krzyzanowski
                          32-CE

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                            I just found this site..Are these the right compressors: http://www.johnsmcintosh.com/PistonRing.html Price is a little better
                            Yes, those are the right ones

Comment

Glue the rings?

I've heard some glue the rings with a special type of glue or varnish, on the intake and exhaust side of the ring grooves on the piston, then compress the rings till it dries and assemble.

What type of glue/varnish?

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X