44 Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 Exhaust

Just a quick couple questions..From my observations why do some folks spray water on the exhaust system and some folks do not??

2nd question since my tower is short which makes for great cornering how do I keep the bottom two cylinders from filling up with water when I return to the pits.. It happens most of the time.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

cool pipes

Cool pipes make for not burning the pit crews hands after the heat!!

Comment

Yeah, the water is mainly to keep pit crew from getting burned.

Short towers and open pipes are a challenge. I imagine it is even worse in a laydown. In a kneeler you can lean out over the front to keep the bottom pipe out of the water.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

My 6 is even heavier and dips a little lower coming off plane on my 9" transom ... I used to freak out about this, but decided that the little drain holes Lon put on the bottom elbow are enough to stop it from being a problem.

If the bottom of your bottom elbow doesn't have an 1/8" or 3/16" drain hole, add one

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6 View Post
          Yeah, the water is mainly to keep pit crew from getting burned.

Short towers and open pipes are a challenge. I imagine it is even worse in a laydown. In a kneeler you can lean out over the front to keep the bottom pipe out of the water.
          I do get up and lean as far forward as possible but we are getting good at cleaning out the bottom two holes..Just thought there might be a trick..I would idle in but then I have no cooling with the force fed system

Comment

Wet Stacks

On all my 4 and 6 cylinder engines we cool the filler block and the stacks. We mainly cool the elbows so that the heat will not distort them and to keep from burning through if your on a long test session. Also their are some potential for minimizing forces on the block by controling expansion. It might also be possible that cooling the stacks will lower the back pressure in the stacks but I have seen no data on this.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
              I do get up and lean as far forward as possible but we are getting good at cleaning out the bottom two holes..Just thought there might be a trick..I would idle in but then I have no cooling with the force fed system
              Hi Mike:

If you "idle" in, that won't overheat the engine even without water flow - just drop off quickly but keep the engine running until the following wave subsides.

Spraying water on the pipes SHOULD reduce the top RPM tuning point and SHOULD increase the low end punch. These effects are small enough that you won't notice them. The big advantage is keeping the crew (and you) from burning yourselves on the hot pipes.

I like the Lon Stevens approach - small holes in the bottom elbow, too.
              Fred Hauenstein

Comment

Four carb Merc 44 and a 60

Here is a photo of the parker stacks we use with water cooling. The six cylinder filler block is at the start of making it fully water cooled.

Alan
                Attached Files
                Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I know what you are all talking about with the hot pipes..I guess I will pass on my bone head move from last year..After a good run in my C mod we went to load the boat on the cart and pull the boat out of the water..In the excitement I had the back of the boat and grabbed the pipe..It really makes for a good handle but it took 2 plus weeks to recover from the very nasty burns..I wont do that again!!!

Comment

New 44

Hi Mike,
                    Doug will be starting on the 44's in about 5 weeks. I assume you want your pipes converted into a wet system. You will need to figure out what you want to send over to him so we can build the engine. My put would be to send the carbs, mag, and pipes so all you will have to do is bolt it to the tower.

Alan

Comment

Parker Stacks

Over the past few years we have basicly moved to the parker stacks for all our engines. Tim Kurcz provides the raw castings and Doug Kay completes the finishing and fitting. Hope the photos help.

Alan
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-27-2011, 04:13 AM.

Comment

That's beautiful ^^^^

CMH. 61R
                        Short Fuze Racing
                        Team Darneille
                        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

those are great pictures of some fantastic work.. Thanks Alan for posting them

Comment

Another new project

I have had this SE engine for some time. It came with the Harry Breinkman items I acquired a few years back. It has also been sitting up with Doug for some time and decided to finish it up. It will be mounted on a Brinkman tower like all our MOD engines. Tim Kurcz manufactures the stacks for this engine and I will post some photos of it as it progresses. Tim is also doing the powerhead work for it so we will see how this engine will run.
                            Alan
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-27-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I want to see the finished version of this one for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X