Bills D Mod 44 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtechmarine View Post
    Late June (20th) and my project seems to have stalled out.

I applied a cost of epoxy to the interior of the boat a month ago to seal it. after 6 hours there was no sign of the material hardening. To my horror I discovered I had mixed 2 different hardeners.

So now the battens, bottom and frames were coated with sticky glop. I recoated with properly mixed and several different mixes so now the (mostly) surfaces are not sticky. What I'm afraid of is the hardener that soaked into the uncoated areas will never cure out leaving a soft undercoat. Well, I have no choice, at least most of the affected areas are going to be below decks.

WOW, it's HOT down here! High 90's for weeks on end.

The boats' sat for all of June now waiting for the side fin I was promised by Darrell. (and paid for) Someone named Kelly is supposed to be fabricating and sending it to me, but so far this Kelly (me) hasn't seen it. So if anyone out there can help me with the dimensions / bracket, or the whole thing I can install it and finish this boat. It would be nice to just get to run it someplace. At 70 I don't have a lot of time left. I do have a restored 40H And the mod motor at the beginning of the thread that are complete.

Same thing with the "44" motor. Noooo progress. I was told my "add-on" to 44XS dimensions port covers are illegal. David - where's the "44XS" plate you were making? Is it also considered illegal as it is not an original Merc part?

Was promised my midsection too, that is still unfinished to the best of my knowledge. So I'll just sit back and work on my parts business, thanking God I have an income. You-all have fun now, y'hear - -
    Sorry to hear about your problems... I had the same kind of problems but it all finally came together. If you need the 44 powerhead broke in send it to me
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Bill did you ever call mike for your fin bracket ??

Randy
      Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Couple of times. Left messages. What we have here is a failure to communicate. I guess I'll have D K make me one from a drawing I sent him. Meanwhile there is progress. I have my midsection back, the boat has steering and the front half decked. We had a driving rain all day today or the deck would be 100% on.

No room for layout in the "shop"!! Here's the latest pics
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mtechmarine; 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM. Reason: add photos

Comment

Looks real nice.. Hopefully I will get my block some day since I have a boat.
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Progress

Hi Bill,
            Boat is looking great. Doug Kay has done another exceptional job on your brinkman tower. You will love the way the thrust bracket works. Can't wait to see the finished engine.

Alan

Comment

Bill
              Mike is a very busy man that is why he suggested you call him very early in the day like 8 am or before you must catch him then

Constantine and now the pro nationals are coming up he is busy preparing his rig as well as others im sure , he said he was doing much boat repair any way as far as him calling you back don't feel bad if he calls me back it is usually late in day or even sometimes late evening

just keep trying early am 7 am 8 am etc no later or you will miss him he said he had several brackets so the longer you wait to less may be available if he still has them it will be faster and less expensive than D.K. im sure

do not give up im sure it is not personal with mike he is just busy after all he told me to have you call him "EARLY am" lololol after 8 am is probably a waste of your time

your rig looks good congrats
              Randy
              Last edited by RandY Aveline; 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM. Reason: adding

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

Comment

Fin and bracket

Mtechmarine sent you a pm. Talked to Mike today he has what you need fin and bracket. He called you and left message with someone for you. Call before 8:00 am Iowa time. Hope this helps!

Comment

todd thanks for the phone relay from Mike

there you go bill all you got to do is call :<) git er done
                  do not forget call early like before er at 8 am Iowa time
                  regards to all
                  randy

Comment

Fin

Your welcome Randy

Comment

Aloha all, here's the latest. I got ahold of Mike who was very helpful and sent that fin I needed. It's a beaut. So now the decks are all on and last nite I added some reinforcements to the cowling.

It has been brutally hot here and with the southern summer humidity the heat index is 115!

So progress has slowed somewhat, but the decks are ready for sanding and epoxy primer, I hope to get the system 3 primer by this weekend. I have some nice Sterling for the finish.

My thanks to Randy for the help in getting the fin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mtechmarine View Post
                        ALOHA ALL - Watching that post on Rons site "Mercury Mark 40H" and attending the Mod nationals last year has got my attention, I'm gonna jump back into it. So to start with we did the "oldest D Quincy Restoration". Here's a couple pics of that one. Doug Kay built the stacks for me. It should be no slouch, it will be fun to run.
                        Greetings this is a good looking project !!!

i see 1 item you may wish to change , it is the rope pull this was an original mercury rope pull..
                        in more modern times they have been known to come apart and in some cases turn to flying shrapnel !!

you may wish to replace it as it will sooner or later come apart ..

i had 1 on 2006 it was all polished and pretty shined like a brand new Quarter and lasted 5 races before a chunk had come off and landed i know not where lolol

great looking engine i hope to see it run when ya get it done

regard
                        Randy 23-H

Comment

Crank Plate

If i remember right at one time in APBA, the stock crank plate was not allowed to be used for the reason Randy said. This rule could have slipped though the crack over the years. They still are not safe to run.

Comment

Originally posted by RandY Aveline View Post
                            Greetings this is a good looking project !!!

i see 1 item you may wish to change , it is the rope pull this was an original mercury rope pull..
                            in more modern times they have been known to come apart and in some cases turn to flying shrapnel !!

you may wish to replace it as it will sooner or later come apart ..

i had 1 on 2006 it was all polished and pretty shined like a brand new Quarter and lasted 5 races before a chunk had come off and landed i know not where lolol

great looking engine i hope to see it run when ya get it done

regard
                            Randy 23-H
                            AMEN. I have changed both motors to aluminum rope plates. Just took awhile to find them. Same with the tower, you probably noticed we went from Bayer to a Brinkman unit!

Still super-hot here. But I'm glad I'm not in Dallas!

Comment

August 25th, 5 more days I'll be 71! Hard to believe - all the stuff I worked on is "FOJ" now. Making some progress in spite of the heat. Hope to make a race end of September. Still a long way to go. At least the boat is essentially done, I just have to finish the painting, install a throttle, floorboard and some cushioning material for my old bod.

Finally joined all 3 big chunks of the motor together. Still working on magnetos and considering the SS setup. I have all the pieces - -

My prayers are with you East Coasties. I went thru IVAN in 2003, no more waterfront for me!
                              Attached Files

Comment

She is a Beaut !!

She looks good !! Great job in the build !! Can't wait to see it run.
                                Dave Mason
                                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X