Bills D Mod 44 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bills D Mod 44 project

ALOHA ALL - Watching that post on Rons site "Mercury Mark 40H" and attending the Mod nationals last year has got my attention, I'm gonna jump back into it. So to start with we did the "oldest D Quincy Restoration". Here's a couple pics of that one. Doug Kay built the stacks for me. It should be no slouch, it will be fun to run.
    Attached Files

So now getting down to business I have started a real D mod motor. trying to be conservative I have kept the porting mild. I am using an interesting combination here - Merc built a few 44 Powerdome engines with the 600-4 rods and small wrist pins. I was lucky enough to get a good set of Hustler stacks so I sent the whole mess off to Doug for some machine work. He cleaned everything up and installed the Hustlers for me. Meantime I found some big brass reed cages and put on some Boysen 16684 carbon fiber reeds. Porting was kept conservative. The crank is from a Mark 50, these early cranks are .002 smaller journal diameter than later cranks. Balanced and honed 4 rods. Moly coated the stock pistons which were in good shape. Thats about it on the internals.

The carburetors are KA24A's I soldered up the butterflys and worked the venturis to smooth out the rough castings a little. Converted them to adjustable high speeds. I am going with another Bayer tower and the gearcase you see on the old Quincy above to start with. If this gets anywhere I may get a shorter setup, but for now I want to be able to run 40H, etc on the same boat.
    Attached Files

Comment

Getting Closer

A couple more shots as I go along. Right now I could assemble this but I am missing one important part, the clamps and swivel bracket. Anyone with a spare KG-9 or Mark 50 assembly, I sure could use it. An early MK55 will work as well.

Yeah, I have spent a fair amount of change on this, but I am still way below what it would cost for a 20H restoration. Sorta' a mid range budget and this should be a lot more fun!

Attached Files

Comment

Mod Motor

On your reed stops what size holes did you drill and how much will this help,

Thanks Dave,

Comment

Reed stops

3/8" I think. Dave, I just picked a bit size that wouldn't compromise the stop strength. Theory is this will ease back pressure when the reeds open as well as improving air flow around stops. Stock height and contour.

Comment

Here's a block/pipes Alan is werk'n on fer fun.....

Asked fer set of these homemade (by Alan) stacks fer my C-MOD Wizard........https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20815

PS....Need a test mule fer yer motor above at Jesup?.....Look us up!!!!!

100N/Steve......19F/Alan
            Attached Files
            Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-11-2011, 04:25 AM.
            100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

44 Project

Hi Bill,
              I think you have done a great job with the 44. I will go to my storage unit today and look for the clamps and a mag hanger, I'm sure I have somthing. The engine work is great. Hope to see you in GA. Right now I'm planning to be there with my son.

Alan

Comment

Wow, that sure will help Alan. I have about exhausted my stash of old Merc parts. I was even considering dissasembling my "MK55Q" and stealing the clamp assy from it.

I had hoped to have this outfit ready to run at Jesup, but there's still one little problem - I still have to build the boat! (DMR) It's coming in kit form but I don't think less than 45 days will be enough time to get it done. I'll still be there at Jesup with my learners cap on.

Comment

Brackets

I have clamp brackets if Alan doesn't come up with any. I have swivel brackets as well, however they are the MK58 style with the shock mounts. You are welcome to one if you need it.
                  kk

Comment

Thanks - I did come up with one on eBay. I posted a progress pic under the buy-sell thread.

Comment

Add: Boat!

OF course something was obviously missing from this project - a boat!

Accordingly, to run these motors a boat is now under construction. It's a Luce copy with a few "twists" by me. Being old school and having stick built my own boats theu 100 CID OPC stuff, this ones all wood. I can give away a few pounds to the exotic carbon fiber guys since I am pretty light.

Here's day one and two of the assembly process
                      Attached Files

Comment

Easter Sunday and Monday PM - done warping in all but 2 of the bottom battens. Now I have to plane in all the surfaces for the skin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Mod boat progress, May

Been working steadily as time permits to get the boat together. Realize the last boat I built was around 1982, so relearning some procedures, some the hard way.
                          Attached Files

Comment

just like a making a fine wine it takes time :<)

time expands to allow for project completion, i was once told many years ago

it seems my time line has expanded to much some days lolol

looks good Bill

regards
                            Randy
                            Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Dead project in the South

Late June (20th) and my project seems to have stalled out.

I applied a cost of epoxy to the interior of the boat a month ago to seal it. after 6 hours there was no sign of the material hardening. To my horror I discovered I had mixed 2 different hardeners.

So now the battens, bottom and frames were coated with sticky glop. I recoated with properly mixed and several different mixes so now the (mostly) surfaces are not sticky. What I'm afraid of is the hardener that soaked into the uncoated areas will never cure out leaving a soft undercoat. Well, I have no choice, at least most of the affected areas are going to be below decks.

WOW, it's HOT down here! High 90's for weeks on end.

The boats' sat for all of June now waiting for the side fin I was promised by Darrell. (and paid for) Someone named Kelly is supposed to be fabricating and sending it to me, but so far this Kelly (me) hasn't seen it. So if anyone out there can help me with the dimensions / bracket, or the whole thing I can install it and finish this boat. It would be nice to just get to run it someplace. At 70 I don't have a lot of time left. I do have a restored 40H And the mod motor at the beginning of the thread that are complete.

Same thing with the "44" motor. Noooo progress. I was told my "add-on" to 44XS dimensions port covers are illegal. David - where's the "44XS" plate you were making? Is it also considered illegal as it is not an original Merc part?

Was promised my midsection too, that is still unfinished to the best of my knowledge. So I'll just sit back and work on my parts business, thanking God I have an income. You-all have fun now, y'hear - -

Comment

Working...
                              X