Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have no idea what kind or make this hydro is??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea what kind or make this hydro is??

here is a pic of it
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    mercs all the way!!!

Looks like a home made lake toy, its nothing you can race.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Pretty sure it's a 50's design from Science and Mechanics magazine, can't remember the model name though
      Mark Krzyzanowski
      32-CE

Comment

Looks like a S&M Scat Cat ...
        Untethered from reality!

Comment

Scat cat

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder View Post
          Looks like a S&M Scat Cat ...
          I agree...
          http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/ScatCat

BTW, Thirty years ago, my dad built a "Yellow Jacket" boat for me from this same boat plans company.
          Last edited by jeff55v; 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

My first boat

I build one when I was in High School. It was a terrable boat. They clamed that it went 60mph with a Hot Rod on it, that would be scary.

Darrell

Comment

wow jeff thats looks exactly like it wow... thx alot guys umm any idea's of a power plant i should put on her???
              Last edited by mercury400m; 05-21-2007, 07:42 AM.
              sigpic
              mercs all the way!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercury400m View Post
                wow jeff thats looks exactly like it wow... thx alot guys umm any idea's of a power plant i should put on her???
                A 2 & 1/2 Johnson, maybe a 3hp Evinrude.
                But seriously, if u are under 150#, a 5 or 10 is fine
                [and safe]
                Do not even think of going over 20 mph
                -and is there not still ice on the river up your way?
                Last edited by bh/; 05-21-2007, 08:48 AM. Reason: sp
                Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

I ran a 10 hp Wizzard on mine, it went about 35 mph

Comment

lol ice on the river up here... nope just nothing but hot summer day and rain now... dam global warming... lol after seeing those low hp motors u guys suggested you'll think im nuts... well i have a beautiful 1961 mercury 400m (45hp) manual start and she's a good runner so im into the market for a quicksilver lower unit 1200+ down the drain but worth it i guess. but for starters im goin to run it with a 18 hp evinrude ( i swear it has no more that 5 hours on it).

my dad was pleased to see that i found the plans for the boat so he suggested that we build another one for fun so i guess that the merc will wait for the new boat because id be afraid she would tear this old one apart but the evinrude will suit.

oh and by the way im looking for the plywood for the bottom of the boat and im not sure what to use ... marine plywood or the mahogahny stuff that isn't very durable??? or possibly any other suggestions

oh by the way were abouts is Merrickville,ON ??
                    Last edited by mercury400m; 05-22-2007, 06:34 AM.
                    sigpic
                    mercs all the way!!!

Comment

I am certain there is no one on this board who would argue that a M400 would not only be too heavy for that boat, but would be dangerously over powered. The 18 is a much better idea, and with a two blade speed prop, would get u up to ~35mph. There is a 'vintage' o/b group active west of you, in the North Bay/Sudbury region. They would be pleased to see you in that rig, but not with the M400 on it.
                      E-mail me directly for more info.
                      I am south of Ottawa, on the Rideau River.
                      bhendrick@earthlink.net
                      Last edited by bh/; 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM. Reason: sp
                      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Yeh the 400m would be pushing it but id go for it if i built a new one and on the racing prop for the 18 hp ne one got ne idea on where bouts to get one???
                        sigpic
                        mercs all the way!!!

Comment

Motor size

You ask questions and get answers from people who have raced and are in the know about motor sizes and what would be safe so that maybe someday you will put together a real racing rig and come play with us, but you are not listening. You may think you are a hero and will go really fast on your lake but all you are about to do is get HURT! Please believe me when I say "go fast in a safe rig" especially on a lake without any help close by, possibly not even having anybody see you blow over or upset, and that is where you are headed if you overpower this boat. There is a pretty good reason why these boats didn't make it into the future and when you get an old hunk of junk trying to go too fast is just not the thing to do. Please listen to other words of wisdom and don't hurt yourself because this really is a lot of fun to do.
                          Deverhart1 S52
                          David Everhart S52
                          Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

yeh i totaly get what your saying besides i haven't even experienced the boat yet all it is, is a little talk. it will be way in the far future before i every get to that point and even then i may experience things that will change my mind. i dont do anything alone my father enjoys these things too and is always by my side. i join these forms for exactly the reason to learn from the experienced people and i really apreciate all your guys help. but that is one of my goals to get my merc on a hydro and have some fun. but really i want to meet some of you guys first and learn.
                            sigpic
                            mercs all the way!!!

Comment

Good advice, think it over

Hey Merc400m, you are getting some good advice from people who clearly know what they are talking about.

Darrell Sorensen (CSR4C) designs, builds boats, kits and plans for well designed, safe race boats, check out

http://www.boatracingr11.com/sorensenmain.htm

if you have the urge to build a boat with your Dad. Don't waste time, money and good plywood on a crap design. Darrell said he built one as a kid and it was terrible.

If you are committed to that boat then follow BH/'s advice. I suspect that adding a Merc400 and a driver to that boat would turn it into an ugly submarine.
                              Ed Hatch

Comment

Working...
                              X