rule proposal 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing our sport

In the interest of growing our sport. Here in Canada we are grappling with the idea of combining some classes to condense our race day and put on a more exciting program in 4-6 hours, a timeframe most host towns seem to like.

I think that bigger than 5 mph speed differences may pose a safety problem as full fields of a class are rarely that far apart.

If there are various motors available to choose from; the chances of a spectator joining are greater. People may connect with boating stuff from their past.

Randy Dodd

Ottawa Valley Powerboat Club
    SPEED-SPRAY-ACTION !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FE04 View Post
      In the interest of growing our sport. Here in Canada we are grappling with the idea of combining some classes to condense our race day and put on a more exciting program in 4-6 hours, a timeframe most host towns seem to like.

I think that bigger than 5 mph speed differences may pose a safety problem as full fields of a class are rarely that far apart.

If there are various motors available to choose from; the chances of a spectator joining are greater. People may connect with boating stuff from their past.

Randy Dodd

Ottawa Valley Powerboat Club
      This is exactly what the idea behind this minimum participation rule is, only on a larger scale.
      Ryan Runne
      9-H
      Wacusee Speedboats
      ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

• All right all ready!!!

I have read all these pages and for the most part found out a lot about the state of our sport. Lets get to basics: J,A,B,C,D that's it........Runabouts are Runabouts and Hydros are Hydros. (Ya'll know what I mean) I don't understand the reduce classes and run more heats if the goal is to reduce the race schedule and the time the race committee has to be out there (and I agree that the race day is way too long) so do it!. If that is the goal then reduce the classes and run two heats.......As for those that are tired of 4 boat heats, fine make the rule state whatever the desired number is (10-12?) and stick to your guns...As far as the D class being dangerous...This is a motorsport and like all motorsorts all classes are capable of injury and or death... we all know this. My son is 6 foot 190 pounds and races DSR when he feels like it and loves it (DSR since he was 16)....what is he supposed to do run ASR? If C is the new D then the weight limit needs to be increased to open the class to more drivers which would increase the class size / participation. Due to all the issues we face my kid will not commit to our sport at this time. There are just too many open issues...that's a shame for a third generation racer....but can you blame him? Why would he invest in a sport that doesn't know what direction it is going in........as for me? I have been having fun with this sport since 1970 and plan on hanging on as long as I can either Stock or Mod...to me its all good fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gootz 142M View Post
          I*** I have been having fun with this sport since 1970 and plan on hanging on as long as I can either Stock or Mod...to me its all good fun!
          Jim: Judging from your various Avtar photos, I'd say you are way far ahead of all of us in the "He who has the most toys..." race. Ed.
          14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

• Jim,

Your son is a perfect fit for CSR right now...and for the past 10 years. There's no reason to raise the weight.

190 pounds? That's what I weigh and I run BSR and sometimes race ASR.

What I don't get is why he wouldn't want to run a class with 10-12 boats at every race...and be able to race at any event and not worry about a lack of boats.

Your post hits a nail squarely on the head. None of us should feel locked in to any particular class just because "it's what we currently run".

There are options out there...no reason we can't change.

Dana

Comment

• Dana, maybe you can answer this question for me? No one else wants to. Where are the current D drivers supposed to draw new racers from? Would you agree that C and 25 be the logical choice?

Comment

• Merc 1,

My answer to that is the DSR class is beyond repair.

Yes, some current CSR guys could be running DSR, as they are heavy enough to run the class. But they are not...for whatever reason. Motor cost, size of boat, not interested in the speed, etc...

If there was interest in the DSR class, it would have more than 15-20 members that it has sustained over the past 10 years.

If the racing public wanted to participate in the class, then they would. Look at 20ssH. Huge participation. And the Y-80 is 10 years older than the Merc 44xs. People find the motors because they want to run the class.

Comment

• Thanks Ed

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
                  Jim: Judging from your various Avtar photos, I'd say you are way far ahead of all of us in the "He who has the most toys..." race. Ed.
                  Thanks Ed....I try.

Comment

• I think the DSR class swallowed their poison back when the 44XS was introduced. Mercury would have included them in the Merc Challenge series but that would have involved them getting the new motor and travel. They had no interest in either buying the new motor nor traveling any distance. Their provincial attitude made them essentially a local class.

Comment

• Originally posted by dholt View Post
                      Jim,

Your son is a perfect fit for CSR right now...and for the past 10 years. There's no reason to raise the weight.

190 pounds? That's what I weigh and I run BSR and sometimes race ASR.

What I don't get is why he wouldn't want to run a class with 10-12 boats at every race...and be able to race at any event and not worry about a lack of boats.

Your post hits a nail squarely on the head. None of us should feel locked in to any particular class just because "it's what we currently run".

There are options out there...no reason we can't change.

Dana
                      Dana,

The reason for Jr. not wanting to run CSR is well.....A family tradition you know. (stubborn...wonder where he got that from) I have talked to him about it and he just likes the speed and ride of the DSR but he has not tried a CSR so maybe there is opportunity there......Hell I may even try one again myself! So what is the best way to go with a CSR rig????? I only ran CSR twice along time ago........

Comment

• DSR @ C.C. Nationals

A couple questions.
                        1.)It seems that most DSR's are around only for the Top 'O. If the DSR's fell from grace and became a "local" class, would it really be the death of DSR at the Top 'O? Would participants walk away from their DSR rides at the Top 'O simply because of their lack of national points status?
                        2.) How many DSR's started at the closed course nationals last year? In what State were the Nationals held last year?
                        The point of my questions are this: If the Top 'O DSR racers gave a hoot about "national" points... wouldn't they have gone to the closed course nationals?
                        With all due respect.

Comment

• Maybe Not...

Kevin Curtis drove from California to Wakefiled, Michigan to race 45 SST and no on showed up but him....I thought they should have made him the National Champion...

D Runabout didn't get to run, at SOME Nationals because they didn't have enough boats....So, why would someone drive to a Nationals and find out they don't get to race.....?

Anyone ever hear of the World Series??? How many countries have ever won The World Series???

If you sechedule D Runabout and said,
                          They'd race, even if one boat showed up." There would be a D Runabout race.....And if only one boat showed, he'd be the National Champion...

I won the Super C Runabout Nationals at Dayton, Ohio, 1975...about ten boats, several spills, scared myself as the Super C motor was an animal on a runabout....Somewhat like my cross flow D Merc (Alky...Hubbell, like a Quincy)...

No one cared at the time that I won, especially my California "FRIENDS" because when I returned from inspection, I had to lift the boat out of the water mayself, as they were all drinking beer.....How soon they forgot I won....and it was MY BEER!

Super C disappeared the next year.....Status??? No... Did the club make some money on our entry fees? Did Dick O'Dea stick his neck out about $10,000 worth to get the Cresent's here??? Seems like the Bass Tohatsu....New motor that O'Dea brought in...too fast, too expensive...move it to Alky!!!

When I sponsor the 36 Runabout World Championships....You'll see status....

Comment

• 36 Worlds

36 runabout Worlds?.................my, my would my Daddy be proud!!!!!

Comment

• a-hem

All those old Chryslers and John-rudes already been melted down in China.
                              Just remember I know your Daddy... and I think he remembers when it was class D-2... and yes he would be proud...
                              John

Comment

• Need Names...

Who are you guys talking about? Mickey Schwarzenbach has two 36 Race Chryslers...And Al Stoker still has his....In RON HILL's World Championships, one boat might make a CLASS...

I think, at the 36 Class World Championships, we'll allow up to 44 Cubic Inches.....So, Make D2 Class WOULD be a better name...Hell, I remember that name, and I remember C2, Formula V2, Mod 100, Mod UJ, Mod C, C-Nod...MOD VP Oh well, who cares??? Not enough STATUS....

I once beat Ted May, we had 5 Cent balloons for bouys, in the Weekly Cheater's Sweepstakes, across from Tin Can Beach, with my AU, by a BOAT length, in front of three car wrecks we caused on Pacific Coast Highway...

Talk about STATUS....WOW!! The next week they posted no parking signs along our Race Course....(We had a long course for D Hydros, shorter for C hydros, and a short course for AU's....)..

Smoked them all, won a TV set that Ted had found in the trash and wrote First Place Cheater's Sweepstakes...Wish I still had that trophy!!!

ADD:

Mickey's two Chryslers, are right where he left them, when 36 was dropped as a class....Same with Stoker's... and probably Alan Sutfin's...

Who needs working members in club? What we need is more "COOL"...people who never lift a hand!

Comment

Working...
                                X