Stock Outboard Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Outboard Racing

For there to be a future in Stock Outboard racing, everyone involved must understand its history. The following questions, as well as other questions, need to be asked and answered before the sport can move forward. The reason why I say this is because we need a plan or a set of goals to continuely strive for to keep the sport around for years to come. This can be accomplished by either staying true to the original plan or we need to create a new plan.

Why was Stock Outboard created?
    Stock Outboard was created because there was an interest and a need for an entry level, grass roots, even-playing field type of boat racing. Boat racers wanted to be able to purchase equipment and not have to modify the equipment to go racing.

Who created Stock Outboard?
    Mercury Outboard, most notably, Karl Keikauffer (spelling) who was the owner of Mercury Outboard, created Stock Outboard Racing.

What engines were used in Stock Outboard?
    [I]Standard fishing engines in the 15HP, 20HP, 30HP, and 40HP ranges were utilized.

What hull types were legal?
    Both Hydroplanes and Runabouts were legal hulls but had to be raced separate from one another.

Who built the hulls?
    Numerous boat builders were available, such as; Sid Craft, Rinker, etc… as well as the do-it-yourself home builder.

How did someone purchase equipment such as engines, hulls, and safety equipment?
    Engines could be purchased through Mercury Outboard. Hulls could be purchased through the various builders or built yourself. Not sure on safety equipment.

What restrictions were imposed on the engines, hulls and safety equipment?
    Engines had to remain in their stock form. Meaning, no modifications could be made to the engine. Hulls had to meet strict length, height and width measurement that pertained to each individual class. Specific lifejacket and helmet had to be worn in order to participate in a race.

How was the general public exposed to Stock Outboard Racing and the equipment?
    ???

What changes has Stock Outboard gone through over the years? And, how have these changes led us to what we know of Stock Outboard Racing today?
    More than one engine manufacturer has produced race engines. These companies include; Mercury, OMC, Hot Rod, and Yamato. Hull types have changes from being a pleaure boat, or more of a modified pleasure boat to full fledge racing hulls. Measurement restrictions have become more stringent to certain hull types and some measurements have become less stringent. More safety gear has become mandatory such as; cut-resistant pants and sleeves, automatic shut-off switches, etc… Classes have been added to the overall program of racing. When Stock Outboard started, there was an A, B, C, and D class structure. Now, we have a J, A, AXS, B, 20, 25, C, and D class structure. Motor manufacturers have come and gone, most notable Mercury outboard no longer produces race engines for Stock Outboard Racing and neither does OMC. Hot Rod has been recently purchased and is in the process of reproducing race engines and Yamato currently produces race engines for Stock Outboard Racing. Because of these changes, we have race boats that are trickier to drive for the new racer, multiple classes that serve the same size driver, and a higher expense to purchase racing equipment if starting new. Keeping in mind that it's hard to put a price on safety and I applaud those who have been instrumental in continuing to improve safety within the sport.

How has society and changes in society changed Stock Outboard?
    When Stock Outboard began, there were not as many options for people who were looking to go fast or race a boat. However, today there are many options with some of these options being readably available and affordable. There are now more families that must have both parents working just to pay bills leaving less time and money for hobbies. Kids are more involved in sports and recreational activities of all kinds. Again, leaving less time for certain hobbies, i.e. boat racing. More and more homes are being built on lake front property making it more difficult to secure a lake for an entire weekend of racing.

So, how do we look at this information and move forward? I suggest we, Stock Outboard, get back to the basic of offering the sport of Stock Outboard Racing for the average person who does not want to tinker with equipment and wants to be able to purchase equipment that will be competitive right out of the box. Also, I suggest we offer a smaller class structure comprised of a J, A, B, C, and D classes. What would this do to our race day schedule? It would create a shorter race day and hopefully a fuller field of boats in every class. This would make our racing more appealing to possible sponsorship and potential race fans, which could make our sport more affordable and easier to attrack new racers. This could also provided some time for testing at each event or more race heats during the day for each class. How do we achieve this when we have racers who, would all of a sudden, have equipment they currently race become exempt? We could either A; cut them out of the class structure entirely, which I do not think is fair. Or, B; combine equipment, into the above stated class structure, according to the engines cubic inches. This would certainly pit different manufactured engines against one another, which might also allow for one particular engine being dominant over another. A competition committee could be set-up to monitor this and make adjustments as needed or nothing at all could be done. However, by combining current equipment all present racers and their equipment would still have a class to race in. This could also allow for new engines to be introduced into a class without leaving an older production engine or engines out. The racers could choose the engine of their choice and race in a class they were most suited for. There could even be a new type of racing engine produced by means of a universal tower and gear foot with any brand of powerhead available as long as it met the cubic inch requirements. The tower housing and gear foot could be produced and purchased through current suppliers and power heads could be purchased new through your local marine or used through other means. Neither one of the options stated would be an easy transition, however either one could be instated and would work. The bottom line is to first define or redefine what Stock Outboard Racing is and should be and work from there. We have a great sport that is not in that bad of shape. We simply need to get back to the basics and work hard to make a plan of action and make that plan of action work.

PS-Some of my information stated above could be elaborated on more thoroughly or more correctly by those who know more about the history of Stock Outboard, which would give us a better understanding of our roots. Maybe, someone with that knowledge can start a thread or post that information in this thread for all to read and understand. Lets come together and continue to move the sport of Stock Outboard Racing forward and into the future.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
    JH/JR

I fully agree with everything you stated Joe.

Lets get back to the J,A,B,C,D only classes.
    Mark
    G-11
    125H
    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

[I suggest we, Stock Outboard, get back to the basic of offering the sport of Stock Outboard Racing for the average person who does not want to tinker with equipment and wants to be able to purchase equipment that will be competitive right out of the box. Also, I suggest we offer a smaller class structure comprised of a J, A, B, C, and D classes. What would this do to our race day schedule? It would create a shorter race day and hopefully a fuller field of boats in every class. This would make our racing more appealing to possible sponsorship and potential race fans, which could make our sport more affordable and easier to attrack new racers. This could also provided some time for testing at each event or more race heats during the day for each class.]

Joe-

These are fair suggestions. It seems to me that many of our members utter the same basic concepts year after year. They did last fall and here we are throwing out on the table again.

To our commisioners: What happens with them? Are they never presented? Is the commision as a whole the road block? I know many of our representatives and believe them to be progressive. People like John Runne are passionate about making this work. I'm not asking that we reinvent the sport but simply try small changes.

In my business I'll chalk up quarter one without growth as a fluke, quarter two assemble a plan, quarter three the plan better be in action.

Time for action!

Troy Gladkowski
      Last edited by 14J; 09-25-2006, 05:32 PM.

Comment

stock outboard history

for anyone who is truly interested in the history of not only stock outboard but PRO and OPC, I was given two books by my lovely wife for christmas a year or so ago that are really great, and not only have the history from the earliest days but right up to the current time or at least until the books were published. One in particular entitled "The Golden Age of the Racing Outboard" by Peter Hunn, not only gives the history but all the manufacturers of both boats and motors through the years, liberally illustrated with pictures. Pages 150 thru 198 cover only boat manufacturers so it is very complete. The other is entitled"A Century of Outboard Racing" by Kevin Desmond and it is also very good and well illustrated. I believe she got them both from Amazon.Com. Both very good reading and lots of illustrations, and will bring back a lot of memories for the old farts among us and also fill in a lot of gaps for the newer to the sport.

Comment

more reading on stock outboard

another one you don't want to miss if you like to read is the autobiography of Carl Kiekhaefer entitled "Iron Fist" This man in addition to being a very successful business person, was also a real character. One story in the book tell about his encounter with a person who was sitting on a packing case on his loading dock smoking a cigarette and seemingly doing nothing. This infuriated Carl and he immediately demanded the person follow him to the accounting dept. Carl asked the guy how much money he made a week and had a check cut right then, gave it to the guy, told him he was fired and to get out. The next week Carl saw the same guy in the same place on company property doing the same thing and he immediately blew his stack and told the guy "didn't I fire you and tell you never to come back"? The guy said yes you did, but since I drive this truck that delivers parts or some such every week to your factory, and I don't work for you anyhow, I came back this week anyway. The book is filled with stories like this plus the history of Mercury including not only the boat racing endevours they were involved in, but Kiekhaefer's success in NASCAR in the early days running Chrysler's with some of the best drivers of the day. He was really the first to have transporters for the cars and equipment, and demand his drivers look presentable with uniforms rather than jeans and T-shirts. Another good read with lots of pictures and good information on the early history of stock outboard

Comment

Living History!!

These books are ok, but what we need is to hear stories like yours about the speedliners, from the people like yourself who've been there done that.
            RichardKCMo
            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

I like the more engine option idea.From the old to the new.Remember how the nats used to be.I think there used to be 10 elimination heats in A runabout alone.The average guy could afford to go racing back then.
              Bob

Comment

Mr. Silvestrie, hope I spelled it right made a very good point but you need to look at a few things so if that plan is implimented you understand how Stock got to where it is now.

1. When Mercury built H- Engines they ran the line for several hours to warm up the machines and then built the H engines.special attention was made to the building of these engines. The pupose was to keep the tolerences close so the engines would meet the spec and also be close to the same.

2. An example of why this was important was the OMC -A engine, even with todays machinery, it is possible to have enough tolerence differences in manufacturing of fishing engines to make certain blocks better than others. After a few years people discover this and they will use it to their advantage. That is how you wound up with being able to blue print the OMC-A motors, there was so much desperity in motors that the only way to even the field was to allow people to make them the same.

3. At one time you could run the OMC-25 motor in 25ss, you had to use the Mercury torqtube and gear foot, it was a faster motor than the Merc but my understanding is because the head could be removed it was easier to bump the compression on these motors, or blue print them, with the Mercs you had to crush the heads, yes this did happen, if you think it did not you are a fool

3. The Story of the B class is a good example of how you could have two engines and at one time, even three (hot rod, 20H, 20SS) compete in one class and eventualy the dominant engine prevailed. Unfortunatly ten years after, the dominant motor became like every thing else and parts became hard to find, then the motor was completely replaced with the 15 cubic inch hot rod and called B.

Having a small number of classes is a good idea, you still have to have

1. available engines
                2. a plan to replace the engines after say 5 years, thats how we get into trouble, no replacement engines in the pipe so we wind up with old motors and no replcements in sight

Stock has not changed as far as being grass roots, times have changed and the amount of people interested in the sport have changed. The old plan of how Stock did business may not fit into todays world. For someone to build motors they usualy like to make a small profit on them, or sell their fishing motors because of how their race motors run. It may be nessesary to use off the shelf motors and adapt them to racing. There are several good ideas posted on complete racing rigs, and other ideas. Going back to the basic Stock plan may be the answer, but make sure it can be accomplished in todays enviroment.

Comment

Engine Equality

When I started in the 60's the KG4 was the poster child for certain combination of parts being faster. I don't mean to be cynical some engines are faster than others and all engines can be made faster within the specs by a knowledgeable engine builder.

Comment

Yes, that is absolutily true, and I remember the same in the mid 70's. What amazed me, was after coming back into the sport a couple of years after the new OMC-A motor was introduced is how close all the boats ran in that class. It was no more than two years later the Billy hole was figured out and then the have and have nots started to show up. I do not remember if there was a diferent run of engines but a big diference in block measurements started to show up also about that time. All I'm saying is do not think just because we get a new engine our troubles are over, we are on the third cycle of new engines in as many decades, what seems to kill us is we think they are going to be made forever, we do not plan on replaceing them until we are begging for something or realy in trouble. That is the one thing I liked about the ISR's answer to that in stock snowmobile racing, they give a model of sled 5 years from the model year to compete, after that it is not legal. Now here is what is good about that.

1. They make new models every year but they are not always better or faster than the old ones, so just because you have a two year old machine does not mean you are at a disadvantage

2. If your older sled is slower you have the option of selling it and getting a newer one that is competitive, if not, you have five years to race it and know that in the sixth year you are going to have to buy a more current model, not nescesarly new, just newer than the one you have.

3. If there is a brand that seams to be a better performer than the others for a model year you are able to switch to that model if you chose, used or new.

The thing that kicks our but is you have no way to recover some of your investment in your motor when you are done with it, or even use it on your fishing boat. I still trail ride my 1998 Snow Pro, when I was done racing it I put the stock handle bars back on it, took the shock spacers out of it, and trail rode it.

What ever plan is adopted there needs to be a realistic plan for motor replenishment to go along with it, what works today will not be the answer five years down the road. There are always people who can afoard to buy new motors and then ones that race on a shoe string budget. We have a new hot rod in the making, a new 44 motor, and a new j motor, thats three of the five classes we are talking about. Also the 302 is available but for how much longer. What do the people who race the 102, 25, 15 hot rod , Yamoto 80 and OMC-A have to say about motors, they are the ones who are most effected buy a descision. I am sure they would not want to have to replace thier motors, so unless you are willing to lose them what is the right descision. Thats five motors by themselves that are over 20 years old now. A plan to phase in new motors and phase out old ones is most fair to everybody, a agreement with the antique division would be a plus to say move any motors over 15 years since last production into that category, that would give them a place to race for national points, and they could be run at any local race that wanted to put them on the sanction. If you can draw 12 20ss hyros at your race good for you, you may be the only place in the country that can do that and one class does not add allot to your race day.

Anyway all I'm saying is remember to include an exit plan for older motors, and not wait until the class is in straight line to replace the motors for it.

Comment

I know at the local speedway-"Lake Erie Speedway" and a local go-kart track, there are a couple "SPEC" classes where you have to buy a motor through a certified engine builder. The engines are sealed.
                      The builder supplies a build sheet and dyno print-out with each motor. Motors are held with-in a certain-SPEC/HP RANGE. If motor falls off pace, you take it back to freshen/reseal.
                      Set-up is left to the racer...............

Could it work in Stock Outboard?

19P
                      Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 09-25-2006, 04:53 PM.
                      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

I like the spec motor Idea.
                        Mark
                        G-11
                        125H
                        When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Ever think of the cost

Having a spec stock class would sure equalize the competition, but the cost would be significant. Remember there are significant tolerances on all production engines. I assume you would want a new engine hand built to a specification with very tight tolerances to maintain equality.

Seems everyone wants to by cheep now, what if the price went up? How much more would you be willing to pay for a new engine? How much more would you be willing to pay for a re-build?

Comment

I'd Be Happy

I'd be happy to just have ONE person build and engine for a class...Don't need dyno sheets...Just have about six-ten powerhead For Sale at all races/all the time...Sealed by this same person.

I bought a 302, I heard Lynn Williams built it...It started and ran like a champ for three straight days....it was really nice to buy a used engine and have it run perfectly.......but, if I was keeping this motor, I'd love to buy a SEALED powerhead for two or three reasons:

1. I would know it is legal, no Mickey Mouse things to be DQ'd on.
                            2. Even though this engine ran good, we had only this motor to test it against.

3....If all motors came from the same builder, I'd feel I had as good as anybody's motor.....
                            Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nbass
                              Having a spec stock class would sure equalize the competition, but the cost would be significant. Remember there are significant tolerances on all production engines. I assume you would want a new engine hand built to a specification with very tight tolerances to maintain equality.

Seems everyone wants to by cheep now, what if the price went up? How much more would you be willing to pay for a new engine? How much more would you be willing to pay for a re-build?
                              Does make sense and that is why we have inspectors to keep us in those specs............

19P
                              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                              X