No announcement yet.

1960's Speedliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you very much for being willing to make these lower unit parts available. I would be interested in several sets of the A/B/C cones & bearing carriers once you start making them. Personally, I would prefer that my parts not be plated. Just my preference.

Comment

• My experience with the same project...

I had A/B/C tailcones and bearing carriers made a few years back and after looking at the design for some time, I decided to have the bearing carrier (waterpump cover) made from stainless steel. The propshaft bearings in the waterpump cover are set back from the actual supporting surface that gets loaded when you torque the cone nut and aluminum seemed to be a less than stellar choice of material. Also, the impeller needed a stainless wearplate and it was eliminated by using a stainless bearing carrier. Less propshaft flexing was allowed and it seemed would extend the life of the gears.
      Just my 2 cents, and I applaud your efforts in reproducing these important parts.
      Tom Brockmeyer

Comment

• Mercury Mark 40-H

I thought I would post a progress photo of the restoration of my Mercury Mark 40-H. This engine was an original red engine deliverd by mercury. Doug Kay is restoring a serries of engines for david and I and hope to have them all done by summer. If anyone needs restoration service there is none better that that don by Doug. The engine has been converted to a fuel pump to make it easier to run.
        Alan
        Attached Files

Comment

• Lower Unit Parts

As David and I work to develope a series of replacement parts for the A through D Mercury Quicksilver lower unit we have decided that if there is intrest we will produce lower unit housings also. To date we have the D cones and bearing carriers under production and wiill soon have 100 sets. Our next project will be the A/B/C cones and cartridges followed by the production of D propeller shafts and then the A/B/C units. Our supplier is also looking at the possibility of making D drive shafts for us.

We have started the work to manufacture D lower unit housings and if there is enough interest we will produce the items. To date all the holding tools are designged and the basic process specification for the production of the item has been outlined. We expect to produce the housing in the clasic D configuration and in a moud unit which will have a slightly larger diameter to allow for shaving the housing sides. These units would have the raked foot. If there is enough demand for the housings we will look at moving forward. I would like to get some feedback as to what everyone would like to see. All of our alum. items will be made from aircraft grade 6061T651 billet stock.

Comment

• Mercury racing lower unit parts

David and I have started reproducing Quicksiler lower unit parts. The first items will be delivered to us this comming Friday March 14th. The "D" cones and bearing carriers are priced as follows:

Propeller shaft cone $39.50
            Propeller shaft bearing carrier $35.00
            Carrier seal and bearing set $26.00

Note: All alum parts are fabricated with aircraft grade 6061-T651 and photos are shown on this thread.

We will offer free shipping on three sets or more via USPS priority mail.

Our next undertaing will be to build new prop shafts for the A,B,C, and D uints. Samples have been provided to our Florida machine shop and we are waiting for the price quote. After these are compled we intend to produce the D drive shaft. In order to inprove the item we will be hard chrome plating, if a reasonabe cost is quoted, the area where the drive shaft seal contacts the shaft. We also plan to offer the shaft in two configurations, first the standard D configuration and second with a 5 inch long drive shaft spline. This way a MOD engine owner with a short tower can cut the unit to the length he needs wihout having to add a coupler in the shaft or welding.

The next its we will produce will be cones and bearing carriers for the A,B,and C units. These will be available in 4 to 6 weeks and will carry a simular price.

Our most extensive project will be building brand new D lower unit housings. The tooling has ben designed and the process spec written. Again we will use a billet 6061T651 aircraft grade alum. Currently we are getting a price to have my last new D housing digitized. If we get enough interest in this item we will produce them. My guess is that we would need about 75 orders to keep the costs to a reasonable number. We hope that we will be able to sell new units for about $700 or possbly less if there is a good demand. Once all the programing is completed we will be able to vary dimensions to allow for shaving the unit or possibly the 44XS configuration.

Right now we are trying to find out if there is a demand for the housings that would allow racers to have a new lower unit housing. Please give us some feedback on the things we are planning. Its not out of the question to be able to assemble a complete new lower unit by the end of this year. We will also be listing the parts on our website, www.aeroliner-boats.com

Thanks
            Alan
            Last edited by OldRacerBU; 03-19-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• How many red motors were made compared to green? Or was that a regional thing with Merc? from the midwest, everyone we ever saw was green. Beautiful color, the red anyway...
              Bill Schwab
              Miss KTDoodle #62C
              -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

• New engine for restoration - A looper

I bought a Quincy looper and it is FA-88 wich was used for spark plug testing by Champion. I beleive that it has never been on a boat. I hope to restore it and run it at AOMCI meetings after it back in full running condition. Some photos of the engine as its now.

Alan
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Alan, viewing the picture of the Looper and wondering how the water for cooling is routed? Do not see any water lines eather in or out. I have several Looper's and they all have external water lines. Also what kind of coils are on it. I am looking for a set of small 12 V coils to complete a B Looper. Thanks Bob N-96

Comment

• Hi Bob,
                    I pick the engine up in 3 weeks. I will check it out then. Might have extra quincy coils that come with it. I am looking for a complete B looper block set also.

Alan

Comment

• Mark 40-H completed

We have completed two more engines. A mark 40-H and a Mark 55-H. Still have about 9 more 4 cylinders to go. Thought you might like to see some photos of the completed engins. Also went to the AOMCI meet last weekend. David and I havd three boats and 6 engines there. We have "D" cone sets in stock. See aeroliner-boats.com.

Alan
                      Attached Files

Comment

• D cones

David and I now have D stock Cones and Bearing carriers in stock. We expect to have the A/B/C items in about four weeks. We are also awaiting qoutes on a number of other items. We hope that all quicky prop shafts will be available in late spring and D drive shafts by mid summer. The drive shafts will be built in both Q and H lengths. We will also produce a D mod shaft that has 5 inches of spline so it can be cut to the tower length and still get the correct crankshaft ingagement without having to use a coupler. I would like to get an idea on the number of shafts that folks would like to buy. The hope is to produce 100 to keep costs down.

Alan

Comment

• Nice

Alan - Nice display. Glad to see you and John are making the parts to keep this old iron alive. Hopefully you'll get some feedback.
                          Tom L.

Comment

• Quincy FA-88

Picked up an A quincy that was used by Champion to test spaek plugs. I will be restoring it to add to my collection and run now and then. As soon as I get it apart I will be postiong photos.

Alan

Comment

• 55-H drive shaft

David and I have authorized our machine shop to start producing the D drive shafts. Three types will be offered. Standard Q and H lengths plus a mod version that will be H length and have 5 inches of splines. Also we will have D water pump cartridges in a few weeks. A/B/C cones are also in works. All our aluminum parts are made from 6061T651 aluminum. We have D cone nuts and bearing carriers in stock at the present time. Our goal I to make available quality replacement parts at a reasonable cost. Have completed three more restorations. Thought you might like the photos.

Alan
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by OldRacerBU; 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X