Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Speedliner?????

Is this a real speedliner , or a copy?
    Just curious because i met one of the Shaumbergs this past summer and he didn't know about these ,as there wasn't anyone that had the right to build one he said because he owned all the plans.
    A lot of nostalgia here though.
    RichardKCMo
    RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

• A/B 1962 Speedliner

Sorry to say but Mr. Shaumbergs is mistaken. In 1965 I bought one of the last 1962 designed A/B Speedliners. I picked it up at the factory and on our web site I have a picture of the boat loaded on my Dad's car. I still have the receipt for that boat. At that time we also bought the full scale plans on lofting paper and the set of the full size plywood patterns. During the second half of the 60's and the 70's we built maybe twenty to thirty of the A/B boats and streched out versions for both C and 36 class racers. We built these boats under the name of "Aeroliner". So to answer you question I would say the A/B boats are the same as the "Speedliner" since they came from the original plans and patterns and the C/D boats are streched out "Speedliners". If any one is intrested I could post a picture of the old plans and patterns with the original pencil notations.

David Van Weele

Comment

• Hi Richard,
        I beleive you asked this question once before. My brother and I have been involved with Speedliner boats since the time I bought my first one in 1955. This boat was acquired in 1955 from West Sayville Marine. At the same time I bought a Mercury mark 20-H and still have the S/N tag and the engine. I beleive that your contact did not know that a set of plans and the original patterns were obtainted when we bought our third model 510 and Speedliner was getting out of racing. At the same time we also obtained a set of frames from the 36 class design and built that Boat for a friend who is on here often. Anker peterson ran this boat for some time with a 36 Evinrude. Beleive I might have some photos of that boat being built. The truth is we have the plans and patterns and the folks I raced with in EORC on Long Island will verify this.

Alan van Weele

Comment

• Speedliner/Sea Jay

Hi David- I read in an article on the schomburgs that 1963 Cliff and his son bought the rights and started Sea Jay boat company building up to 1993 when a flood covered the area. Now doing boat repairs and Cliff was building a boat or two to keep busy. This was from a 2000 article. They said Cliff was 80 at the time. They built a sporty runabout along with a line of stock and alky boats. Been looking for a copy of their brochure as mine disappeared in moves. Had a 12' CU, bought used, and a C-D alky runabout which got used mostly as a DU. Both beautiful handling boats. Miss those rides.
          Alan-Great seeing you at Mark Suter's AOMC meet in MI.
          Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al
          P.S. Wonder if Cliff is still alive.

Comment

• Spark Plugs

I bought a load of things today from a boat racers that passed away. His wife had said he was an exceptional propeller maker so I bought all that she had. His name was Ted Lewis. I also got a bunch of sparkplugs and was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are used for.

Thanks,
            Alan
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Alan, from my memory, the K57R were used in alky C service Speeditwin Racers and maybe the SR/PR Johnson's. The L84 R can be used with thick washers in the MK 20H and MK 55H. They are too hot for the alky Konigs and Quincy's. The M41 FFG were used in the stock racing engines. I used the M40 FFG in the B Looper. The LG506 plugs I used in my 500 cc Konig. I can not see the numbers of the others listed. Hope this will be of some help. Again this is by memory only.....Bob N-96

Comment

• Speedliner

Cliff passed away several years ago.

Comment

• Four Cylinder Restoration

David and I are slowly having all our four cylinder engines rebuilt by Doug Kay in Detroit. He dose outstanding work and can save most any part. I have attached some photos of 5 of the 11 engines being worked on. If anyone needs contact infor or would like detailed fhotos let me know.

Alan
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Quincy Powerheads

I bought some items this weekend from the wife of Ted Lewis. Three powerheads were among the things I picked up. She claimed that they were all quincy modified powerheads. Well I also bought a toll box and found the original Quincy bill for one of the engines stuck behind the lower draw. I can't wait to start restoring the powerheads and running them some time in the furture. I have attached a photo of the powerheads and bill. Also can't wait to see how they were done back then when I open them up to restore.
                    Alan
                    Attached Files

Comment

• The K-57 R was also used in the old 6NHR Champ Hotrods 18MM. When Champion revamped all their plug numbers the L-84 R was the replacement number for the L-63 R and we used those in the converted 20-H the L-87 R was the replacement number for the L-58 R which we used those in the KG-4 borh are 1/2 reach and when used with the thin copper washer come flush with the inside of the combustion chamber on the 20H and the KG-4.
                      Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I have a Evinrude 4-60 and a couple Hotrods along with a number of of A and B Mercs. Seems like all the plugs will work in somthing I have.

Alan

Comment

• eyewitness verification . . .

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                          Hi Richard,
                          I beleive you asked this question once before. My brother and I have been involved with Speedliner boats since the time I bought my first one in 1955. This boat was acquired in 1955 from West Sayville Marine. At the same time I bought a Mercury mark 20-H and still have the S/N tag and the engine. I beleive that your contact did not know that a set of plans and the original patterns were obtainted when we bought our third model 510 and Speedliner was getting out of racing. At the same time we also obtained a set of frames from the 36 class design and built that Boat for a friend who is on here often. Anker peterson ran this boat for some time with a 36 Evinrude. Beleive I might have some photos of that boat being built. The truth is we have the plans and patterns and the folks I raced with in EORC on Long Island will verify this.

Alan van Weele
                          My dad & uncles owned West Sayville Marine Service and I was the gofer kid who drooled all over Alan's Speedliner. Beautiful boat! All that shiny varnished mahogany . . . wow!
                          carpetbagger

Comment

• I was able to determine that Jerry Waldman had both W-1 and W-2 APBA numbers during the mid to late 60's. Now I'm trying to determine the exact model of the Sid Craft and a good idea of the build date. The tag is for a Sid Craft so that puts it before a Sid Son. Also dose anyone know if there hull numbers some place on the boat. I will restore it and run a Quincy 44 cubic inch deflector engine I acquired. Intend to show the boat and run it at antique outboard meets.

Thanks,
                            Alan

Comment

• Real Thing!!!

Originally posted by Bill Huson View Post
                              My dad & uncles owned West Sayville Marine Service and I was the gofer kid who drooled all over Alan's Speedliner. Beautiful boat! All that shiny varnished mahogany . . . wow!
                              Good to know as they sure look nice.
                              Reason i asked was because this aforementioned seemed surprised to know anyone was building them. I had ab old D after it finished it's racing career, ran mostly mk 30 and speeditwin on it till it literally fell apart.
                              Ran about a mile out into lake Erie with it and run back with following sea sure was fun.
                              RichardKCMo
                              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

• New Speedliner, well not quite

David an I have been givern an old Speedliner M-810 Marathon Special frome around the 1950 era. The boat is in real sad shape but there is enough of it still left to draw up some plans and make some patterens. We got the boat from David Harrell in Florida and it had been sitting outside for years. We hope that we can start builing the boats again. Our first one will use some parts from the original boat if we are lucky. We will also save some screws from the boat and use them in bots we sell. We think that the boat is from the 1950's era plus or minus a year or two. One we build the first one we will run it with my KG9Q at antique meets.

David Harrell is building the Hal Kelly boats from plans he bought years ago. If anyone is intrested in a boat let us know and we will give you his contact info.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X