X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by baries View Post
    You're describing a 50/50 paint job. Fifty feet or 50 mph.
    Exactly!

Also I should note that while the boat is a little heavy and the paint wasn't to my taste it does seem it was well cared for and looked after by the previous owners, and whoever built it seemed to do a nice job. It should make for a good solid hopefully stable boat to send out new drivers in and help test my extra motor on.

Leave a comment:

• baries
    replied
    You're describing a 50/50 paint job. Fifty feet or 50 mph.

Leave a comment:

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Very cool…. In the car world that would be described as a 10’ car. In other words it looks good from 10’ away!!! Keep up the great work. We need more people like you in our boat racing family.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Dean. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just has to look good from the beach!

Leave a comment:

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Cool…. White is good for seeing surface imperfections. Also, before the top white coat, a flat dull grey primer is also good for seeing surface imperfections. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    Do you plan to it completely take all areas down to bare wood?
    I don’t think so Dean, would be a lot to work to bring to wood back to good looking. But there’s a 1/4” of paint in areas on this boat. I’ve found red paint, grey paint, dark blue, white paint, light blue, what I think is grey primer.
    If I’m going to sand may as well take lots off then I will give it a coat of primer sealer and hit it with a white base coat then you see the stripe colours above.
    I’m already in further than I thought I would be. I had planed a quick paint job and run it. But my other boat looks great and most of the other local boats are really well finished so why not make it look fast ? Then I might be motivated to find a basket case 102 somewhere and continue my love of taking things from scrap pile to making laps!

Leave a comment:

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Do you plan to it completely take all areas down to bare wood?

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Was beginning to think there wasn't any wood under the paint on the coaming but I finally found some.
    CBBE50AA-3E9F-4B83-AE0D-FDA71D9E8D65.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Didn't get anymore sanding done but I had a few minutes to spare at work today so I mixed some paint.
    D53E01D1-4DAD-486F-A63E-B5B8429E3CE9.jpeg

Anyone wanna guess which racing livery I’m shamelessly ripping off?

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    If all goes well Thursday night will be coaming night. The right side has definitely had someone exit through it and I’m unsure if I want to leave as it was repaired or try and do better.
    Really I guess I could have left the boat as is, but that ship has sailed.
    More dust created.
    926DE414-F7B6-47A6-A6E4-187FDD93633A.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    Whatever…. Just keep up the good work.
    Thanks Dean,
    This should be a quick cosmetic job. Carruthers did some repairs to the bottom last year for the previous owner. I just couldn’t stomach the white and grey combo. Needs something a little flashier!

Stay tuned.
    For now here’s a pic of some damage that will be fixed up before the new base coat goes on.
    3A861678-062B-4148-820D-C2068187D242.jpeg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Dean,
    I can’t seem to have enough projects. This one should be quick turn around as I have some motor work I’d like to do before spring. I’ll make some progress this week as there still isn’t enough snow to go snowmobiling up here.

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Whatever…. Just keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    AFF04750-CB00-469E-BF54-D24997F283A7.jpeg Couple more hours sanding and I think I’m starting to make progress. Finding lots of little places that need some love before the paint covers them back up.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    It’s been suggested that the boat appears to have been built from a Sorensen kit. Some google-fu suggests that may be the case.

Sanding continues !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X