No announcement yet.

Giving a Bezoat a Second Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron France , 'trailer balling' a prop (yours ?) @Dunnville, 2010? RF D_V 2010.jpg

Ron, getting ready @Waterford , ON
    RF WF 10.jpg
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      Anybody that puts the kind of work that I have since learned is involved making a prop and that is then willing to tweak it with a hammer and a trailer ball deserves ...I’m not even sure what? Happy to see that the prop came from someone who knows how to get the job done with the tools at hand.

• https://youtu.be/k2SMfDsQL6o
    This is probably boring for you veterans, but a first warm up of a basket case motor is pretty exciting to me.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds about right, great job with a basket case. Is the mag locked at full advance or still moveable? If not locked probably ok for lake playing. What max timing before TDC did you set the mag at?

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      Mag was loose. Going to be honest with you. I just set it to about the middle of its travel and visually checked the points gap. It started so easy I must be close . Carruthers is going to walk me through the timing procedure next time I’m up. Guess we’ll see how close I was.
      Last edited by Albert; 04-29-2021, 06:59 AM.

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably not close on the timing with just feeler gage. These Y80's are prone to not keeping the timing once set. This is primarily because the top roller bearing on the crank is a loose fit at the factory thus there is lateral side play and wear occurs unevenly. This lateral play is not good for getting the timing accurate. With 2 cylinder race engines point ignitions should be set so the spark occurs at the same distance Before TDC on both pistons. Setting point gap alone will not do this accurately. On my Y80 I set timing using: feeler gage, accurate inductance based buzz box(mine from AirCraft Spruce) and a 1" dial indicator. I lock the mag at max timing setting. I also check with a timing light surprising results noticed. If interested in details I can provide them and how to do. Once understood process and done a few times takes only about 20 minutes to do.

Did you set the reed heights?

Tip keep the air no load running to a minimum.

• Pete,
    I do really need to get there water fed to it next time. I also doubt it’s healthy to rev it too much with no load on the motor.
    I whipped this together the other night but I don’t think my 1970s buzz box will be cutting it.

It did seem lazy once running so it wouldn’t surprise me to find the timing is a little retarded.
    When I get schooled on setting the timing I’ll post up and you can correct my bad habits as they form.

In the meantime if you want to share a bit about setting reed hight I’m all ears.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Luc Yes not healthy to rev to much at dry start with no load and especially blipping the throttle is no good when using it on the boat, but it sounds good ;-) I have found that the inductive buzz box works the best for point coil condenser ignition, very accurate. You have a good dial indicator and that looks like 14mm adaptor that fits your head spark plug threads that your engine has + feeler gages just buzz box needed.

To do the reed height setting remove the carb and manifold as a unit with 6 nuts. Then each cylinders reed block is just slipped off the studs. Could have done this reed adjustment when you had it in pieces. Per APBA specs the max reed height is 0.281" = 9/32 " = 7.137mm. If you want to go a bit more up to you but this height gives adequate air fuel flow. Note that the reeds do not sit flush on the pyramid base they are up about 0.006" to 0.009" with a factory shim per APBA, leave them that way. To check opening I use a 9/32" drill and place the barrel end under the reed at 90 degrees to the reed long dimension fully contacting along the reed width. Now pressing down on the drill so that the reed is pushed to be touching the aluminum pyramid base if set correct only 1/2 the barrel will fit under the reed stop at its very end. To raise or lower the height the reed stop can be carefully pushed up or pushed down to meet the required height with the drill bit barrel installed as noted. Hope this is clear.

Pete

• Mini project getting the old Keller throttle cleaned up. It’s not new but it’s a lot more presentable than it was. Some solvant , then scotch brite pads followed by good old Autosol brought it right around.

Comment

• Next weekend is go time weather permeating. Steering rope got installed with some expert help. Fired the engine once more just to hear it make noises for a minute. Steering bar arrived today. Just waiting in throttle cable bracket to arrive.

Comment

• Looking really good.... excellent job.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert View Post
          Next weekend is go time weather permeating. Steering rope got installed with some expert help. Fired the engine once more just to hear it make noises for a minute. Steering bar arrived today. Just waiting in throttle cable bracket to arrive.
          It already looks like it's going too fast
          Great job !!!

Comment

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            It does look fast. Guess we’ll find out soon.

• That looks spectacular! You have done an amazing job. Be proud.
          I have to admit though, I'm a little jealous of your back yard...the lake that is.

Comment

• Tom,
            I'm jealous of my fathers back yard as well. Only thing is it's salt water...still better than the cow pasture in my back yard tough.

Progress keeps coming painted the steering bar and got my skid fin mount sorted last night.

Comment

• 3D573118-6B97-4A0C-ABD3-D64B68335321.jpeg The plan since Thursday was to go out and test on Monday. Grandparents were lined up to watch the kiddo, boat was in the trailer and the weather forecast was calling for 60 degrees and almost no wind. I had plans to leave my place about 8am for the drive up with my daughter to pick up the boat.
              Instead my daughter woke up at 5am and there was no getting her back down in her crib so I said screw it lets just pack up and go she may fall asleep in the car. That's when I opened the door to go put the carseat in and noticed the hard frost on my windshield.
              Well no one likes a quitter, so into the car she went (fortunately slept most of the hour up once we were moving) and we landed and the grandparents a little after 7. We passed the Old Cocagne Regatta race course on the say up and the water had barely a ripple.

Comment

• By mid morning we had the boats all in one place and started picking off the last couple things on the to do list on the bezoat. Set the timing on the 80, put a sleeve on the throttle cable. Install the skid fin mount and fin (after Carruthers measured about 5 times to make sure it was bang on). As we were doing this the wind shifted to coming out of the east, this meant the usually very calm water in the testing area was starting to form small rollers. But no one likes a quitter so we carried on.
                95CC72C8-0658-4CAE-9BE9-ABA432F0DF7E.jpeg

Comment

• AC2D9572-6D06-4F3C-8C24-24923F8C021C.jpeg By early afternoon we had all the boats ready to go, a pair of vintage bezoats, one 35 year old Carruthers built boat and one current CSH. So I bolted on my prop, put in the plugs, said a little prayer and after sending the rescue boat out with 2 buoys we decided to send the black bezoat out to check the water conditions.
                  Last edited by Albert; 05-25-2021, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• Ok, so sending the black boat out first was a bit of a cop out. So Now it was time to step into the water (by this point it was almost a bomby 60 degrees out ). But did I mention how people feel about quitters?

Here we go, it floats...time to get started.
                    8431C53B-A4BB-46C9-969E-614F75000408.jpeg

Comment

• 0DA0F784-0120-4F12-9236-942FF8138835.jpeg So I guess the question is how did it work? The short answer is that it works great. Only 2 minor glitches all day, lost my fuel cap and once had the motor cut out when I may or may not have shifted to much to look back at the black bezoat (definite moment on dread followed by great relief).
                      We didn't bother with GPS or recording laptimes, the water was only good enough to go full throttle for part of the straightaways. Instead I focused on breaking in my engine with pretty gentle laps and only the occasional short bursts of WOT to see how it was going to fly.

My sincere thanks to all those who made this happen. This is a big milestone in the life of the project but really its just the beginning of a new racing life for this great little boat.

Comment

• Congratulations it is really great that you did this looks really good and appropriate safety gear. Now its just run and fun time with some tweaks along the way. What height did you set the engine, kicked in, level or out and what do you have the timing full advance set at?
                        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Albert
                          Albert commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Timing at 220
                          3/4” below
                          1.5* kicked in

Actually still looking for a some cut gear...if anyone has a set of sleeves that are going unused.
                          Last edited by Albert; 05-25-2021, 02:21 PM.

• ZUL8TR
                          ZUL8TR commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good numbers, when you get used to the boat and see how it handles tucked and in the straights try level on the prop shaft.
                      Working...
                      X