Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Signal Light is now Driver Signal Robot

With the help of a few good friends the new updated Driver Signal Robot
    will be on display and working at the National Meeting.
    It has taken more time and investment to improve the original idea
    into its current form.
    I don't have time to explain the first prototype, but the new model is
    a floating beacon w/radio control intended to be anchored just inside
    the entrance pins of all turns. It uses high powered LED lights to alert
    drivers of conditions on the racecourse. These lights correct the earlier
    problem of sunlight filtering the lights and rendering them useless.
    I am excited about the new design, and look forward to hearing the
    response from my racing family.
    I would like to give special thanks to Larry Spencer who made the RC controls for the new system, and without his efforts the lights would not be ready
    as soon as they are.
    Special thanks also to Robin Shane for her efforts and generosity in helping to make this possible.
    I also want to thank Tony Adams at Coastal Marine Welding & fabrication
    for his time and expertise in building the light mast and base.
    I will keep everyone here updated as more information comes available.
    Lastly thank you to everyone who offered their services, time, and advice
    to make this "robot" a reality.

I have to make one more mention...... Brandt Hilsen you came into my heart and mind to inspire me to create this project, and you stayed with me to overcome the roadblocks that have come along. I will miss you and honor your memory forever... God Bless
    Dennis Burke 21Z
    "Driver Signal Robot"

Why don't we name it the Hilsen Robot or The Hilsen Saftey Signal in his honor.
    mike ross

Comment

Hilsen family prefers not

Mike,
      I asked Gina a question regarding that topic last year and she asked me not to do that, and I respect her wishes. We will honor his memory in other
      ways. Thanks for your idea though.
      Dennis

Comment

for those of us not making the National meeting can we get a sneak peek photo?

Comment

timing is not good

I have a new digital camera but I have not loaded the software onto my
          computer yet, and I will be pressed for time tonite to get ready for my
          flight tomorrow. Sorry but I promise to get photos posted as soon as I can.
          Thanks
          Dennis

Comment

Great work Dennis!
            Gotta believe Brandt is proud!

I raced street stocks (dirt tracks) from 1975 through 1986.
            Mostly 340 A-body and 440 B-body Mopars. Kinda want to cry when I see one go through the Barrett-Jackson auction these days. Those cars (Cudas, Challengers,340 Dusters, Roadrunners, ETC,) were cheep 20-30 years ago!

Can't tell ya how many times having those lights "In line of sight" on both sides of the track, saved my hide.
            Especially when you had your "Foot-In-IT" and a full load of addrenalin running through your veins!
            Eriez Speedway and Stateline speedway have them in all four corners were you can see them entering and exiting every turn.

Many nights I was taken into THE-WALL coming out of the turn and was sure glad those lights were there to worn the other throttle jockies there was a situation on the track.
            Then you would drag your junk home and work on it all week just to get back out there.....the dedication (obsession) cost me several relationships. Not many women will put-up with the hours and the dirt ...
            It used to be fun, you could win with little invested.
            Today it's all money-even for a trophy only class. And, at end of the year you usually only had a pile of junk left to show for...
            That was one of the reasons boat racing has appealed to me....low investment and something left at end of year......

Will there be some kind of barrier/protection around the devise?

Looking forward to seeing it, and you OUT-THERE!

19P "...When I get were I'm going...On the far side of the sky...There will only be happy tears.........yah,....When I get were I'm going....Don't cry for me down here........."

click on pic...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 01-29-2006, 02:14 AM.
            100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Dennis,
              how did it go?

19P
              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

any news on how this was received..... any photos

Comment

Great reception

The new design was a hit! Even last years sceptics came to me and
                  said "now this is a step in the right direction".
                  The LED lights really "blinded" everyone.
                  Larry Spencers' RC controls worked perfectly even outside and around the
                  corner of the building with the light mast inside on the balcony.

I have already begun construction of a new design since the Nat. Meeting
                  that will be more streamlined, lighter and easier to store and transport.
                  As soon as I get the latest model finished I will post pictures and prices.
                  Larry has also upgraded the RC controls, can't wait to discuss that w/him
                  soon.
                  I think this latest model will really do what I had envisioned all along.
                  I was excited about the possibilites last year, but this new concept is
                  going to be a great step forward in safety for all of us this year!

Thanks for all the interest and encouragement, I look forward to posting the
                  pics as soon as I receive the newest mast.
                  Dennis 21Z

Comment

Is the intent of this also to replace the flags in the corners? Like does this have a light for all the flags, or only to signal caution on the race course?

Just curious. Sounds great!
                    Fralick Racing
                    Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Good Question?

It can be made to represent the flags in all colors, however that robot
                      would be more expensive than just a warning signal.
                      The green and white flags are really not neccessary for the light as
                      we leave the pits on the green flag so we know it is out, and the
                      white flag is for the 1 min. gun so we know for sure to look for that
                      flag.
                      I am suggesting the lights are a giant improvement in safety and by
                      using only warning colors it greatly reduces the investment, but could be
                      added later if the purchaser so chooses.
                      The new light is much more available for options, such as in OPC they want
                      me to make it so it can count down in colors for a starting system.
                      I can almost create any design now that a particular category might need.

Dennis

Comment

Excellent work, Dennis. Thanks for sticking with this project

Comment

replace flags?

I think Dennis and Team agree that the first priority is -
                          To make this system available at a cost that every club could afford.
                          Therefore, the RED / BLUE lights are what we consider a minimum setup.

The basic concept is to augment, not replace the corner flags. - The LEDs are expensive, and a bank of 6/12 lights might drive the cost out of the small club's budget.

However, From a system design perspective, the latest prototype is capable of 8 'flags' or lights, (one way) text message, and is designed to be expandable in both hardware and software capabilities.

I've got my own 'Features- wish list', and I am hoping that this board's members can help us fill it in, with the above considerations in mind.

Post here or email to me.
                          Remember, the only stupid question is the one you did not Google first!

Larry Spencer

Comment

Thanks

Larry,
                            Thank you for contributing to this project.
                            John Runne 2-Z
                            John Runne
                            2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

this is great guys, thank you.i believe before long you will have them at pretty much every race. so i hope you can make them affordable. but not so cheap that your are donating all your time

Comment

Working...
                              X