Kneeler vs. Lay down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kneeler vs. Lay down

I have a question for the guys that have transitioned from the meal down to the lay down, what are the pros and cons between the two I'm thinking of going to a lay down in the SE / 8:50 Hydro. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into after running a kneeler all this time

Originally posted by jeff ruth View Post
    I have a question for the guys that have transitioned from the meal down to the lay down, what are the pros and cons between the two I'm thinking of going to a lay down in the SE / 8:50 Hydro. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into after running a kneeler all this time
    Several things: laying down you do not have the maneuverability or vision field. You cannot adjust your weight to find the balance ‘sweet spot’ point as with a kneeler. Also, laying down you do not have the ability to look around as well.

I would suggest that you build a ‘Mock Up’ with motor, fuel tank, etc., to find the balance point. You can start with your current boat.... Balance it on a round rod like a 1” to 2” water pipe.

You might want to consider a European Style lay down such as a Trombeta style that Bud Gann makes. Make it as light as you can, then balance it by moving the lead and your position around.

There are also wood ones and possibly designs so you could build your own in wood.... That would be a good place to start.

Good luck on this project.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

One of Mike's complaints was it really hurt his neck to have to hold his head up to see where he was going while getting beat up by the water conditions, boat wakes, etc. Found really quickly he was getting too old for that treatment; tried to keep doing it and finally had to give it up. But, he couldn't kneel because of a bad knee.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Jeff,I've found that when the laydown boat is properly set-up, especially euro style boats I build the driver does not have to hunt a sweet spot, that is all taken into consideration when the hardware is installed. Done right they are a sweet ride, check with Lee Tietze. If I can help you just text me.
        Bud

Comment

Jeff Ruth, my own experience is as follows: I drove kneel down PRO hydros in 350 and 500cc for about 12 years. At the end of that time I had a 500cc hydro that I built and it was a couple years old. My knees gave out, and I had to do something to continue to race. I took the 500 kneel hydro, Lowered the front cowling down about 6", remounted the steering wheel near the floor, added a belly ramp and the boat was ready to race. First time out, I said to myself if this doesn't work I'm done racing. The boat was launched and I went thru the 1st turn and every turn after that at full speed without backing off. A laydown boat is the best ride I ever had, way better than kneeling down or a capsule.

Comment

Jeff, could you share the dimensions of your kneeler turned laydown please. This sounds interesting.....

Comment

This is how it all started....
              bill.jpg

Comment

• DeanFHobart
                DeanFHobart commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too.... That’s how it started for sure.
            Working...
            X