Free gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free gas.

Could anyone use 5 gallons of LL100 avgas mixed 25:1 with Amsoil Synthetic Dominator 2 stroke racing oil.....FREE..? Purchase in April....2019..

Just use a gallon per tank full on your car/truck

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
      Just use a gallon per tank full on your car/truck
      Good idea Mike...... My dad and I would do the same thing years ago.

Question: How much $ per gallon is AV gas these days?

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Dave Cofone
        Dave Cofone commented
        Editing a comment
        It was $5.00 per gallon in April.......

Runs really good in chain saws,, string trimmers, etc.

Comment

Darn. I thought this was an offer a of a free can of Bush Beans

Comment

Why not just hang on to it for next season? If you keep the can out of sunlight and sealed, avgas keeps for a long, long time.
          Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

• dwhitford
            dwhitford commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto. One of the best attributes of avgas is its longevity.

• Dave Cofone
            Dave Cofone commented
            Editing a comment
            I did not know that......thanks for the info.......Next season it is, see you at Millville in 2020 with my old boat, old motor and old gas........

And 100LL actually has a lot of lead in it. It is only "low" in lead content compared to the old 100 octane avgas. It has about the same content as the old Sunoco 260 that was one of the highest octane (and lead level) fuels you could get in the 1960's. You don't ever want to burn it in your car or tuck because it would kill the catalytic converter in short order. It does "keep" a lot better than motor fuels, the shelf life of avgas is considered to be about on year, If it's stored in a climate controlled environment (sealed container and no big temperature swings) it can last somewhat longer.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
            Dave Cofone commented
            Editing a comment
            True, I never would put it in my van.....it's basically for air cooled engines that need more lubrication at higher temps. The only other group that could use it are two stroke motorcycle racers.......

• Ram4x4
            Ram4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's not true. 100LL avgas has a permissable maximum lead content exactly one-half that of pre-1975 automotive fuel (mogas) or 0.56 grams per liter of fuel (and also half the content of the older 100/130 avgas it replaced).

In reality, avgas producers use the absolute minimum lead to reach the 100 octane rating, so it typically contains even less lead than regulated maximum.

Many of the older aviation fuels had a dual octane rating, like the 100/130, or the 115/145 used in air racing. They had dual ratings because, unlike cars, pilots manually adjust the fuel mixture for different power settings and flight envelopes while flying. For example, fuel rich mixture is used for full power, climbs, takeoff, etc, while lean settings are used for cruise.

The lower octane rating is the lean mixture rating and the higher number is the rating for rich mixtures.

The reason general aviation piston engines still use lead has more to do with expensive and burdensome government regulation of the industry. it costs engine manufacturers huge amounts of money to get an engine certified for lead-free fuel use, so they simply don't bother, although there are a few of the Lycoming engines that are certified for lead-free fuels (but require the use of special engine oils if they do). None of Continentals engines are certified for lead-free gas (that I know of).

Leaded fuels also, technically, have a higher power factor per equal volume over ethanol gas, but the question is is it significant enough to warrant its use in your race engine. The lead will, over time leave more deposits and can/will foul plugs with extended use.
        Working...
        X