No announcement yet.

Motor advise for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post #11 was helpful. Got an email out now about a motor. Waiting on a reply.

Comment

Mr,K check your email box

Comment

Talk to Tom today about a Y80. Top notch gentleman there. Super willing to help any newcomer to the sport or hobby. Now I’m highly considering parting with my brand new exhaust and finding a new home for my powerhead.

Comment

My next question is once you have working rig and all your equipment, how do you even get involved in the activity if there is not NBRA clubs in your area? It seems this sport is very popular in some parts and non existent in others.

Comment

APBA is very big in OH,ILL,IN,PA & VA.

Comment

• hshawwpba
              hshawwpba commented
              Editing a comment
              There is also a lot of racing opportunity in Washington, Oregon, and California. Just had a race in Washington state this weekend with 160 entries and on Friday they did a take a ride program for new folks in boats with 50 NEW people getting the Outboard racing experience !!!

PM sent

Doug S.

Comment

hshawwpba PM sent

Comment

As everyone said a old Y' 80 will push it and extremely reliable, like a Nissan or Honda car

Comment

I hope so. Thinking very hard on it and Tom Cronk has givin me ample time to get my thoughts together. If his estimate on speed for my boat is even close as I’m sure it is because he didn’t hesitate for a second on his opinion, I think I would be more than happy. My mark55 with horns looks awesome but if it’s not going to work for me than looks arent very important. I want to use my boat and maybe see you guys at an event after 4 years of wondering if it’s even possible for me to accomplish.

Comment

Y80 is a great choice. Tom will help get you running well.

Comment

Does anyone have any links to any videos of boats running a y80? Not much on YouTube unless I should be searching for something other than Yamato 80

Comment

I have a video of my highly modded round nose 10 ft Wetback with a Y80 but I do not have a youtube site to send you to.(my Avatar from 1977 APBA 25ss class and recent pic below with Y80)
                        As a reference point my rig weighs about 390 lbs (boat , engine , driver, fuel, jacket, helmet) on the water ready to go and I see 64-65 mph +/- depending on conditions with the right prop and setup You will love the Y80 lots of acceleration and speed very dependable, but for top performance be prepared to deal with setting the ignition often there are some peculiarities. I use a Aircraft Spruce Co buzz/light box and a 0.001 increment dial indicator to set it with piston position BTDC. Can provide any details you want prefer email. Pete
                        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

What’s your email Special K? I’ll send you a video from this past weekend of a top flight 80 outfit running up front, complete with race announcers.

Comment

there Is a complete Yamato 102 tower and gearcase on eBay right now. Could that be adapted to my mark55 powerhead or is a complete y80 from Tom Cronk still a better route to go? Is a y80 easy to service or rebuild in the future if need be? If I don’t actually race and just use my boat for fun how long will the y80 be reliable?

Comment

If I don’t actually race and just use my boat for fun how long will the y80 be reliable?
                            Originally posted by Rodney 34 View Post
                            As everyone said a old Y' 80 will push it and extremely reliable, like a Nissan or Honda car
                            as posted above

Comment

Working...
                            X