Motor advise for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor advise for a newbie

What would be the best motor for me to run on my 11 foot shovelnose hydro for recreational purposes. I’m not looking for a full out race motor because I’m not going to race. I restored my boat but it came with a mark55 service motor that I wasted a lot of money for a new exhaust. Everyone says the service motor will disappoint very quickly and mark55H mid sections and gear cases are looking very hard to find. I’m not a racer as of yet but I love this type of boat and hope to actually use it before I lose interest due to a motor issue. Don’t want top speeds just want the boat to perform well.

Special K,

I don't see any wasted money on the exhaust. It looks like you built a nice 750mod powerhead. I understand finding a 55h tower and gearcase may be difficult and pricey. Instead, look for a 750mod tower and gearcase and go drive your boat. You are in the right place. There are people who frequent this site that may have what you need. Another option. Go to a race and talk to the 750mod people. They are not hard to find and you can here those motors miles away!

Sincerely,

Doug Follett
    87-P

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
      What would be the best motor for me to run on my 11 foot shovelnose hydro for recreational purposes. I’m not looking for a full out race motor because I’m not going to race. I restored my boat but it came with a mark55 service motor that I wasted a lot of money for a new exhaust. Everyone says the service motor will disappoint very quickly and mark55H mid sections and gear cases are looking very hard to find. I’m not a racer as of yet but I love this type of boat and hope to actually use it before I lose interest due to a motor issue. Don’t want top speeds just want the boat to perform well.
      Hello Special K,

Just keep in mind that the power head you have on a racing tower housing and gear foot will have the possibility of going 80 mph. You as a newbie .... that would be too fast in my opinion. If you do use that combination .... just keep in mind that the throttle goes both ways.... in other words you do not have to go full speed at first. And, the most important thing would be to use an approved racing helmet and Lifejacket.

As the previous post suggested, go to a local boat race and talk to the boat racers.... they will be there to help you.

Good luck with your project.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

What you should do, is just throw in the towel and sell me that *****IN looking boat cheap!😉

Comment

Ahhh, I got edited.” B1tchin”

Comment

You didnt waste money on the exhaust because someone would buy it off you in a minute... If you use that motor just get a lower unit. Or just get a 50hp motor and the boat would be fine just to drive around... There are guys on here that make midsections so maybe they will jump on this post to help you
            sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

I like the mod to the center section. When I was a kid, I cut off the exhaust snout below the cavitation plate and the end to make the exhaust like a Quicksilver exhaust on one of my Mark 20 motors. Pipes might have been overkill for the hours I ran it but I did put a few good sized holes in the driveshaft housing with a hole saw.

Comment

I like the comment about throwing in the towel as I have thought this a few times along the way. But this boat does look sweet and is in awesome shape. I know it’s not what is being run today but I love vintage stuff and was told the shovelnose was popular in the early 70’s. But don’t be surprised if you see it up for sale one day when I get tired of scratching my head over this motor thing.😁

Comment

Special K, I don't know if you have run that engine yet, but you'll probably get kicked off every lake you run it on with those loud pipes... And the fishing gearcase has a waterpump impeller to keep the engine cool, so that's a good thing if you need to idle through a "No Wake" zone at the lake. Consider maybe adapting a Yamato 302 gearcase to your fishing tower and you can pick up water off a scoop on the adapter plate, maybe even through No Wake zones. That motor with a 302 gearcase will be scary fast for someone new to the hobby and it's been done many times by others. A 1/2" thick aluminum plate with the Yamato gearcase bolted to it can then be bolted as an assembly to the fishing exhaust tower using the same holes as the fishing gearcase.
                  A driveshaft adapter coupling is $50 from "modhydro" here on the sight.

Comment

Now that’s the kind of info I’m looking for. I have the stock exhaust plate so that can easily be put back on soon after I amuse myself with the megaphones. The Yamoto302 thing sounds fairly easy but what’s one of those cost?

Comment

Now that’s the kind of info I’m looking for. I have the stock exhaust plate so that can easily be put back on soon after I amuse myself with the megaphones. The Yamoto302 thing sounds fairly easy but what’s one of those cost?

Most with a 302 probably wouldn't part with the gear case. But I found this 302 case that still has the 16mm shaft and gear case not shaped and is as raced in Japan, $450 + ship. With the 16mm shaft and the shear pin forward you are very limited with props that are 9/16 bore and have a shear pin hole toward the prop nut, would need to be serviced for the shaft.

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/m...rcase-for-sale

Here is a 102 gear case for $500 + ship that will also work and has 9/16 shaft + shaped by the master Tom Cronk

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/m...-case-for-sale

Or you could buy a Yamato Y80 30 hp for fairly cheap that are very decent engines and if you and that hydro weigh like 400 lbs ready to run it would be a nice ride. Would of course need the prop and setup. What do you and that boat weigh? What is the width of the rear bottom not including the angled sides?

Tom Cronk may still have one Y80 left, has 16 mm prop shaft since from factory, inquire with Tom

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/m...-80-s-for-sale
                      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Your other option if you want a racing midsection and lower unit (that has a water pump impeller) is contact Sid Bass of Bass Machines in Bremerton, Wa. For about $3000 you could have NEW and bulletproof parts.....
                        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I like the idea of the yamato 80. How fast would that motor run my boat? I could just sell my exhaust and dump this mk55 idea altogether.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                            ZUL8TR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What do you and that boat weigh?

What is the width of the rear bottom not including the angled sides?

I like the idea of the yamato 80. How fast would that motor run my boat? I could just sell my exhaust and dump this mk55 idea altogether.
                          Good idea with the Yamato 80... Yamato’s are very reliable. My guess on the speed would be 50 - 60 mph... depending on your propeller..... Good safe speed for a newbie.... and remember the throttle goes both ways... start out slower and build up your comfort zone.
                          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

See the post... Yamato’ 80s for sale... With Tom Cronk you will get good motors... maybe buy two.

Good luck with your project.
                            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                              ZUL8TR commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Already noted to Special K in post #11
                          Working...
                          X