Beating a dead horse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating a dead horse....

I know this subject has been discussed at length but I would like a few opinions. At Millville I had the misfortune to run into engine trouble before I could make a lap. Thinking about it now I am actually grateful because I got in that boat with zero hand or foot protection.....dumb move on my part. I want to make certain I am protected as possible before my next race.....so I am planning on buying cut resistant gloves and the Dewalt Cross Fire Kevlar boots. I still have not had any luck finding cut resistant socks......Do you all think this is good enough or is there more I can do to protect my hands and feet.....?

i have an old pair of gloves you can use.

frank
    52-E

Comment

Get the Dewalt Argons
      11P Joe Sees III

Comment

I have the DeWalt Cross Fires. Haven't worn them in the boat yet (I will at Franklin). I know another racer who has worn them. He said they work ok. Even though there are no drains, they don't hold water too bad, but with the padding they will stay wet for a while.

The Argons look nice too, but they have leather in them (kevlar and leather). It's been my experience that leather shrinks real bad when it gets wet and dried. YMMV.
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

I wouldn't spend too much money on "Cut Resistant" gloves and boots. After my accident last year I had come to thought of what makes clothing "Cut Resistant". Our most important pieces of clothing is our jacket and Pants-n-Sleeves. Well last year when I went out of my boat, my very own turn fin (Not Prop) had sliced through my new Kevlar pants and gave me an 8" laceration to my thigh, just missing my main artery ( I have the picture if you want to see it hahahaha). Did you know you can cut Kevlar with darn near kids scissors? I found that out last weekend while repairing a fiberglass tail cover, so I already can imagine what a prop and or sharp side fin will do. Will I still race? Absolutely, I had new pants made and had them double layer the Kevlar. When it comes to normal work boots the density of the rubber and leather that they use I think is enough to protect you. Have you ever tried to cut work boots with kids scissors? Me either, but I already know the outcome. When it come to gloves I think the only way you are going to get full protection is if you were to wear some full on thick welding gloves and I don't mean some nice Tillman's, I mean the double insulated Kevlar reinforced welding/hot part handling gloves. Am I trying to force you to not buy Cut Resistant gloves and boots? Absolutely not, everyone has their own opinion and sometimes just the feeling of wearing full protective gear makes someone feel safer in their boat which is an important feeling and I get that. Im just giving you an experience that might make ya say hey maybe I can just use my old red wing boots that have been sitting on the shoe rack for a year. Whatever you do, do what makes you feel comfortable being inside that boat, because at the end of the day we all just want to go back to our families when the race weekend is over.

Comment

Originally posted by lilman3m9 View Post
            I wouldn't spend too much money on "Cut Resistant" gloves and boots. After my accident last year I had come to thought of what makes clothing "Cut Resistant". Our most important pieces of clothing is our jacket and Pants-n-Sleeves. Well last year when I went out of my boat, my very own turn fin (Not Prop) had sliced through my new Kevlar pants and gave me an 8" laceration to my thigh, just missing my main artery ( I have the picture if you want to see it hahahaha). Did you know you can cut Kevlar with darn near kids scissors? I found that out last weekend while repairing a fiberglass tail cover, so I already can imagine what a prop and or sharp side fin will do. Will I still race? Absolutely, I had new pants made and had them double layer the Kevlar. When it comes to normal work boots the density of the rubber and leather that they use I think is enough to protect you. Have you ever tried to cut work boots with kids scissors? Me either, but I already know the outcome. When it come to gloves I think the only way you are going to get full protection is if you were to wear some full on thick welding gloves and I don't mean some nice Tillman's, I mean the double insulated Kevlar reinforced welding/hot part handling gloves. Am I trying to force you to not buy Cut Resistant gloves and boots? Absolutely not, everyone has their own opinion and sometimes just the feeling of wearing full protective gear makes someone feel safer in their boat which is an important feeling and I get that. Im just giving you an experience that might make ya say hey maybe I can just use my old red wing boots that have been sitting on the shoe rack for a year. Whatever you do, do what makes you feel comfortable being inside that boat, because at the end of the day we all just want to go back to our families when the race weekend is over.
            In the same sense, I have seen kevlar pants do their job time and time again. I've seen drivers run over, propeller hits their running shoe and not even a scratch on their foot but a hefty bruise. It's all personal opinion when it comes to this stuff working or not but we have to remember every accident is different and if there is something available to protect us, we should be taking advantage of it. Again just beating an old horse.
            Johnny Wlodarski III
            24J

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I've worked with Kevlar for 25 years, but prefer not to use it if possible. The reason I don't like using it is that it is a PAIN to cut!

Nothing is 100% safe, but it provides us the best protection available at this time. In the last few years, we've seen Kevlar protect legs from spinning props. It does work. May not be perfect, but more often than not, it provides good protection.

Do yourself a favor and buy Kevlar or Dyneema socks.

Comment

To be honest, when I first started racing a few years ago, I was surprised that kevlar boots and gloves weren't required. The boot/sock issue saw assessment last year. They were going to be mandatory for the 2019 season, but as I understand it, due to the availability issue of the socks, the rule has been pushed back to next year. I have boots now, but will be adding gloves for next year, or later this year.

Although our kevlars won't stop every laceration, the fact is, no kevlar ensures a much higher chance of getting seriously sliced up.
                Dane Lance
                700-P
                CSH/500Mod

Comment

I really can't believe I am having so much trouble finding cut resistant foot wear. I would have thought this would be available for several different industries but that is not the case. The other weird thing is, instead of making the entire sock out of cut resistant material they select areas of the sock like the calf and achilles (spelling) for protection. I love my toes so I want them protected as well. I will have protection the very next time I climb into my boat, even if I have to make it myself.

Comment

For socks, how about sewing the end shut on the readily available forearm protectors used by glass cutters...?
                    https://tinyurl.com/y2mzgnlb

If you put three words, kevlar forearm sleeves into Google, you get lotsa choices.

Also, this thread should be titled "Where to find cut resistant socks?" That way, those of us who wanna see a horse being beaten aren't disappointed when we click. #appropriatesubjectlinesmatter

CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR CHEAP CUT SLEEVES...

https://tinyurl.com/y2mzgnlb
                    Last edited by 25xs; 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cofone View Post
                      I really can't believe I am having so much trouble finding cut resistant foot wear. I would have thought this would be available for several different industries but that is not the case. The other weird thing is, instead of making the entire sock out of cut resistant material they select areas of the sock like the calf and achilles (spelling) for protection. I love my toes so I want them protected as well. I will have protection the very next time I climb into my boat, even if I have to make it myself.
                      Life Line sells cut resistant boots... or at least used to sell them.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

SRP sells the cut resistant boots for $175. They are leather with a kevlar lining and side drains. Lifeline used to list some kind of water boot, but they weren't kevlar, you had to get kevlar socks for them.

Another option are the DeWalt boots as mentioned. You can usually find them on sale for a tad under $100. Just as a thought, and I don't know if my thoughts are correct, but the DeWalt boots have their kevlar layer on the outside (the non-leather ones). The SRP boots have the kevlar lining inside. It seems to me that if the prop or fin cuts through the outer layer and hits the kevlar lining inside (assuming it doesn't cut that), you have no padding to absorb the impact. It might not slice you up too bad, but it's going to hurt more than having the outer layer kevlar prevent the cut and the inner padding absorbing at least of the impact. Of course, it might not matter at all, I don't know.

Combine boots with kevlar socks (when, or if you can find them). That'd probably be about the best protection you're going to find.

For gloves, there are a number of options. There are the cut gloves used in the food industry (which are the type sold by SRP and Lifeline), but I don't know how comfortable they'd be for driving, or how the grip would be. There are other cut resistant gloves that are more similar to a mechanics type glove for better grip, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Seibertron-HI...0&s=industrial

Just search Amazon for cut resistant gloves and there are lots of options.
                        Dane Lance
                        700-P
                        CSH/500Mod

Comment

I am seeing some Kevlar and Dyneema socks but they all terminate the protection below the ankle. I will buy them if nothing else is available but really want to protect my whole foot. I guess this is a work in progress but MAN is there a big whole in the market for foot protection......

Comment

arm_boot2_1_jpg6794b831-98ed-4491-8c55-175243ce3147Original.jpg
                            these work real nice, but keep them oiled!

Comment

• dil/viller
                              dil/viller commented
                              Editing a comment
                              now that's funny! But you should not have shown this. these along with the rest of the suit may become a mandatory requirement. [ don't think the helmets would meet the code ]. then really, really, light boats will have to be built.

• Dave Cofone
                              Dave Cofone commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Actually, I was thinking of bringing this up with Howie......These really would solve the whole problem of prop and fin strikes......and you wouldn't need to shift your weight back on the straights.......
                          Working...
                          X