New BSR class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BSR class

Does anyone see this class gaining traction? I see some SW 20’s becoming available and our
    team would like to put something together, but would like to know if we are not alone. Last year looked like a few Merc boats running.
    Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

I am strongly considering the class for next year. Would love to see more runabouts out there and I hear nothing but great things about the ride.
    Shawn Breisacher

Comment

• Flatiron
      Flatiron commented
      Editing a comment
      As a second class right Shawn ?

• 3rd Chance
      3rd Chance commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir. Would love to see this be a roll up class.

BSR and BSH are the greatest rides out there in my opinion. Here’s the problem right now. The 20 SW is not currently a reliable motor. I know a lot of guys that have burned up pistons, broken rings, ignition problems etc. Most people have either sold or shelved there motors until a solution comes along. Last I heard the bridge in the sleeves of the 20 was going to be widened to solve the piston and ring issues, that was months ago. I haven’t heard anything more about. It’s going to take a lot to bring people back to the SW 20. I myself was really hoping the 20 was going to be a great motor. I was looking at it as a replacement for my Y80’s. The weight, electric start, the drivability. There was so much promise with the new motor. Now there are a lot of question marks and uncertainty surrounding the SW 20 and SideWinder LLC for that matter.

Comment

Maybe the SW people would update us on the issues mentioned?

Comment

Any motor program is going to have issues to be worked through and things like these can be sorted out and fixed. Hopefully the next generation of the SW20 will address these problems.
        The biggest issues with the whole SW program is lack of motors, lack of updates on info on the new design and lack of hard delivery dates.

The builder is doing everything he can and seems to be at the mercy of the owner and the suppliers of parts.

I truly hope the APBA can pressure the owner to either fund the production of these motors properly, or relinquish control and ownership to an entity that will handle it properly and is able to scale production accordingly.

The 15 SW is now a great motor and very reliable. There is no reason the 20SW can't be as well.

I would love to see the APBA be able to steer its course towards not being defendant on a Yamato motor supply. Envision APBA classes based on a readily available AMERICAN made motor that is reliable and parts are easily obtained.
        11P Joe Sees III

Comment

I talked to Ed yesterday and the 20’s are only waiting a few new components/upgrades which include a new rod ( to replace faulty ones made by his supplier), new flywheel, and one other small piece I can’t remember. He sounded hopeful that engines will be available soon. A batch of 15’s are about ready to ship.
          Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

• Peter24m
            Peter24m commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a 20 sidewinder for sale, can bring to jesup ready to race.

The 20 cu in Tohatsu four stroke outboard (9.9 hp, 15 hp, 20hp) is the 15 hp UIM "GT-15" class engine. The same engine, available at any marina or even West Marine badged as a Mercury. In 2022 the Stock Outboard commission at the National meeting approved the 20 hp for provisional use in the stock outboard class's 15SSR and BSR for 3 years . The next weekend I went down to the local boatyard and bought mine.

I had never raced, but do collect vintage race boats. I fitted the 20 hp to a vintage DeSilva runabout. I used a BMX handlebar I purchased from Amazon for $30 to give a 5" drop and 5" setback to dovetail with the DeSilvas cable steering. A Yamaha Jet ski throttle cable fit right into the Tohatsu and deadman throttle. The kill switch plugged into two bayonet plugs used for the tiller version.

Props were the challenge. 2:15 gear reduction and RH rotation. Todd Anderson stepped up to the plate and provided three LAK props from Estonia modified from GT-15 props. With zero testing and + 200 lb me, Kurt Romberg weighed boat motor and I in street cloths @ 475 lb. 44 mph the first run. We expect 50 shortly. Ron Hill from California sent me props to test and Winrace in Norway has GT-15 props also.

Its a slippery slope to get traction but the engines are moving.

Ron Hill bought a 20 hp and is fitting to a runabout this week.
          The Carolina Virginia Racing Association (CVRA) bought a 20 and John Runne will build a Runabout to race and their school.
          Kerry Hamlin in Michigan is fitting his Tohatsu to a Brinkman BSR for TOPO.
          Tim Kurcz and Harry Schoell are fitting their 20 to a new runabout.
          I expect to build two new boats this winter with 20's, one for short course and one for Marathon.

Many others on the fence, so Jump in, the waters fine!
          sigpic
          WWW.COMPMILLENNIA.COM
          Composite fabricator
          ISO 9001-2008 Quality Certified
          Washington, North Carolina

Comment

First race, 2023 Top O Michigan Stock Outboard Marathon. Driven by Joe White. Now that's jumping into it!

https://johnschwartz.smugmug.com/202.../i-3P5FL35/buy
            sigpic
            WWW.COMPMILLENNIA.COM
            Composite fabricator
            ISO 9001-2008 Quality Certified
            Washington, North Carolina

Comment

Working...
            X