No announcement yet.

Hydro classes, where to start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave, Glad to see your still here. I am trying to get a source on some 321. Yes thats a topic of another day. 300ssh is a nice class to join into as the engine is available right now. same goes for the fireball.. however finding a unsealed engine is going to be much harder.. I would check with david b on the boat and engine I know he was working on getting that package together.. If your needing a trailer let me know. We have a trailer in the back of my parents yard that we can get to you. It does need some work however we would be glad to help out. Give me a call anytime. 215-776-6701 or email alex.teamjracing@gmail.com

also for anyone check our site, more products are coming daily. teamjracing.com
    Last edited by ajennings4p; 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM.
    spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

if you want the best ride in stock outboard, get a DSH!! The Tohatsu motor is readily available and lots of boat builders out there to build you a boat. The motor is just as reliable, if not more reliable than a Yamato ………..Weight is not an issue in this class (hell, I am over 75lbs overweight in the class)………...the upfront cost is more than most classes, but after that, your upkeep costs are very minimal...……….
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• ajennings4p
        ajennings4p commented
        Editing a comment
        only issue with DSH is they have mostly died around the region 3 area, either they sold them or guys dont come to races anymore.

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        AJ is right. I've wanted to race DSH for a while, but there just aren't any on the east coast area. I haven't seen a DSH race in the last 2-3 years anywhere in the region 3 and region 6 area at all.

• ajennings4p
        ajennings4p commented
        Editing a comment
        Ram4x4 we do run 750 or 850 when we can however it would be nice to have more boats around also..

Hey Dave,
      Our region 10 local Jim Tryon has been running his 300ss motor in other classes .
      Realize in c stock they use a “shaped foot” as you can’t use a stock lower unit at the higher speed.
      He has been running multiple classes in same day but swaps lower units in between heats.
      Props are different so $.......
      But I Watched a fellow older newbie rub decks with JMichaelKelly and made him earn a win .
      You’ll enjoy the ride more in the Yamato class .
      Also on the go kart motor, karts don’t go airborne and break free from surface .
      Just seeing how hard to plane and get going well has been painful to watch , only thing worse was when Bob Smiley paid and registered for Sat ,tested all Friday at Lake Lawrence , then at sat Driver meeting was told not able to run because of a “record race” and he was only boat.Sorry Bob....
      Tim M
      43-R

Comment

• M Miner
        M Miner commented
        Editing a comment
        They go airborne,spinout, get the rear tiers lifted off the ground . Just saying.

Welcome to racing sir. Listen to Mr Pavlick.....the 300 ssh class is the way to go for a new racer. I like the 125, but I would want to be able to run something turn key to get started.....just my 2 cents worth

Comment

• Dave Cofone
        Dave Cofone commented
        Editing a comment
        Well unless I move across the country D stock is out of the question as they don't run them out here on the east coast.....

Sounds like a good time to ask the question. Who wants to run DSH on the east coast? I will buy a new Tohatsu and a new boat, if 2 more people step up and commit. Mike is right, 300SSH is probably the way to go, Daren is right, the ride and handling of the DSH is far superior to the CSH., and has a different cast of drivers. If there were enough DSH's , I would be out of CSH and push an electric start. Just saying!Let's make it a 750 mod class engine as well and run twice, now I can get out of 300SSH too. Done deal, can't wait to see who wants in!

Comment

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had the $$$ and knew there were enough other DSH drivers that would do it, I'd be in a DSH in a heartbeat. You are so right that it's a completely different ride. I got to drive one a couple years ago and man, getting out of my C and into that D was like going from a squirrely go-kart to a planted Ferarri.

• mercguy
        mercguy commented
        Editing a comment
        make it happen Herb! I would love to travel across country and race with more DSH'S!!

PS: I have seen way more crashes in Yamato rigs than DSH's! Speed is relative to boat size...…...we have several (3) new drivers in DSH out here and they are doing fine......

The 300ssh class is a good place to start for rookies. Not nearly as intense as the 20 and C classes. Prelims are normally split into heats with smaller boat numbers so the transition is easier for a newbie, not having to race in a 12 boat heat before the final. Just put the engine on the back of the boat and go, no blueprinting, etc. Big speed difference when you go to D, around 80 mph. If you want to look at resale value, the Y321 is current and sellable.

Comment

• ajennings4p
        ajennings4p commented
        Editing a comment
        but you gotta get on a list to get an unsealed one. they are harder to get hands on.

I feel that DSH is too fast for a Rookie... plus there are not many around.

I would encourage you to go to some races, talk to people and watch before you decide on what class.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Much depends on what you have and/or want to spend to get started. At your weight, any of the "C" classes would be fine (300SSH, 20SSH, or CSH). Also, you have to consider what you intend to put into it going down the road. Will you have enough $$$ to start buying and testing props (keeping in mind that new ones are gonna cost you upwards of $300-$400 each, used ones a lot less, but then you are just gambling). Do you intend to run other classes and might need another motor? or maybe you decide you need a new or better hull?

I think the recommendation for 300SSH is valid. It was designed as an entry level class, but don't let that fool you, there are a lot of verteran drivers running it too and it is a very competitive class, but on the plus side, there are a lot of drivers in it and it is popular over a wide area, so you won't have to worry about not having enough boats to make a race.

Something else to consider as well, even though the motor is sealed, you can swap the gearfoot between heats, run a 3-blade on it, jack the motor up with a spacer on the transom and run it in CSH, or toss in a restrictor and also run 20SSH. So, for the price of one hull, one sealed motor, a gearfoot and a 3-blade prop you are running all three of the C classes.

That's probably the best bang for the buck set up you can get.

As someone with no experience in this type of boat (as was I), you're going to spend your first season chasing everyone anyway, and learning to nail starts. Then, one day, you'll bang a good start and realize "oh crap, I'm about to go into the first turn with 5 or 6 other boats" and you'll probably back off a little until you finally make that turn in a pack of boats and realize it's not as bad as it looks...
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Dave Cofone
          Dave Cofone commented
          Editing a comment
          Everything you say makes perfect sense to me......I will admit that I am also still involved with the Vintage inboards. For me it is all about fun. I am keeping my options open. I absolutely do not want to start spending big bucks and get all aggravated with swapping props. If I come in dead last I will still have had a bunch of fun blasting around in a hydro.

• Ram4x4
          Ram4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good attitude to have. I'm going into my 5th year (I started when I was 50) and I don't have the money or the time to be super competitive. Still driving the same old used hydro I bought when I started. I have a Yamato 102 and I run it in CSH and 500mod (it's legal to run in the mod class). I don't win, usually mid pack, but any chance I get to drive my boat is a good time. I just enjoy being out of the house and around the other racers.
      Working...
      X