Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    A sobering thought to those of who cannot afford to race.....

• csh-2z
    commented on 's reply
    Tim, We have to market our sport to people that can actually afford to race.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    The 80s stand a better shot against a SW than they do against the +5 c.i. of the 302.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Combine BSH/20ssH and BSR/25ssR and you will have an average of 100 boats in those classes tomorrow. I am not trying to pick on 20ss, but B and 20 occupy basically the same space here between A and C. I mean, really, do we need two classes between A and C? No way. Sure, we have other issues that are more pressing, but identifying classes is important to have a model for growth. This is an inevitable issue. The SW 20S was designed to compete with the Yamato 80 and yet we still have this 20ss class and this BS class. Get rid of the bullsh!t and let's go do some awesome racing.

New 20ss parity:

-No change to Yamatos
    -SW weight goes to 380, height goes to 1/2 inch;

And let me say, I have nothing to gain here, either way. I have both SW and Yamato options for 20 that I feel good about. I wouldn't know where I stood to gain or loose if change is made. But I firmly believe we must make some changes and the same old fear and status quo won't cut it any longer.
    Last edited by ryan_4z; 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Mike, you are reacting to my maniacal rantings as though they are legislation, dude. No change has ever happened. Nothing, not for years and years, outside little tweakings here and there. And, despite how hard I try, it is likely that nothing will. Don't worry, the status quo will prevail. That is what history teaches. (Unless there is a revolution....)

• dholt
    replied
    Growing all classes is certainly what we'd all like to see...but I'm not sure how adding the 80 into BSH accomplishes this as a long term solution.
    Yes, it would increase boat counts, as I'm sure a handful of 80 owners would love a 2nd ride during a weekend to run BSH. And they'd be competitive.
    OK...now what? Are we expecting the light to go on at some point and they'd want to drop $5k for a new SW motor and more $ for a different boat to run the BSH in the future?
    If they can run it with their 80, why would they change equipment? If they aren't winning, they'd probably stop and just run 20ssH. If they are winning, they'd keep the 80 equipment.
    If simply increasing boat totals in BSH is the goal...then I can see it. Full steam ahead. But isn't this the same thing as adding the restricted Yamato into 25ssR?

I asked this question days ago. What's preventing people from buying the SW right now and running BSH or BSR. Only 1 person chimed in...with COST as his answer. There are other reasons...which are probably more powerful in negating sales. Can those be discussed?

I wish there were 100 boats in BSH/BSR. What does it take to get there?

Leave a comment:

• pav225
    commented on 's reply
    Referring to the changes in "plan" that occurs hourly:

- Kill 20ssH because the Y80 is too old.
    - Add Y80 to help B grow
    - 20ssH looks too much like CSH, so kill a class with 120 drivers.
    - Split 20ssH into BSH and CSH.
    - Call 20ssH BSH
    - Drop Yamato height in 20ssH.
    - etc, etc, etc

Essentially all "ideas" have some element of screwing up our 2nd largest class...except for sealing B motors and adding side fin to BSR.

The intent of the post was to try and generate ideas to improve the sport. Unfortunately it's gotten pretty far off track.

It's starting to remind me of a kid in a candy store who keeps trying to talk other kids into giving him their candy. If one idea doesn't work, its quickly replaced by another one to try and convince people it's a good idea. Its all a tremendous waste of time.

Let's hear some ideas to grow classes without cannibalizing our largest ones.

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    John I am open to the 80's in BSH. I just think we owe it to them to be real clear on our intentions. How long they will be in the class, what height and weight for each configuration, etc.

The drivers I have talked to seem to like the idea, but also want a fighting chance if they bang a start of winning. They don't want to be a 1/2 a lap down.

• Tim Weber
    replied
    Big Don,

Those numbers are sobering when you consider that these are only 3 races per driver minimums. That can be a 3 race in one weekend deal too.

I think a big problem is travel cost. It costs me at a very minimum $500 for a weekend. That is a tent and fast food weekend. A normal weekend with gas, hotel, decent meals, entries fees is around a $1000. At a nationals you can double it easy. Fortunately, I can do this but a lot of guys can't.

What's the answer? I just don't know. Travel cost in my area is just part of it but I can see where driving 7-10 hours one way would discourage folks on a shoe string budget. I will say that races with tow money are sweet. but.... then we get into the how to promote the sport discussion with sponsorship. That dog never seems to hunt.

It seems like the sealed engine concept might need to be explored more in depth as a solid way to control costs.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    What random, illogical changes have been made in the past? The SORC has been passive and resistant to change at every pass. Updating parity adjustments would not turn the class on it's head.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Sidewinder drivers do not, by and large, race 20ss. Parity changes would give the SW and chance to compete with the 302.

• csh-2z
    replied
    I have to apologize and clarify to all of you, about some of my previous posts on the 20SSH class. While it was my intention to explain a hypothetical scenario for the class, I in no way endorsed that possibility. As far as I'm concerned, 20SSH will remain intact and untouched for the foreseeable future. I am strongly in support of offering to the owners of the Yamato 80 the chance to run in the BSH class in hopes of potentially persuading some of these drivers to eventually transition to the sidewinder and help grow this class nationwide to support this manufacturer and securing our future.

​As Don so eloquently said, it is in all of our best interest to support each other and all of our motor manufacturers, we all want this sport we love to grow and succeed.

John Runne
    Last edited by csh-2z; 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pav225
    commented on 's reply
    Don,
    At some point, even die hards have enough of random, illogical changes. I'd hate to see how few die hards are left if the 2nd largest class in Stock is screwed up. We can't afford to take that risk. What's the upside "reward"??

I'm having a hard time believing it is so difficult to understand that we need stability in our top classes and work on making changes to improve numbers in the smaller classes.

If you look at the numbers over the last few years, and honestly look at the impact of previous changes, you would be crazy to suggest major changes to our largest classes.

We all agree we need to work to improve the sport. Hopefully the SORC is wise enough to understand the impact major changes will have and that we will lose members.

Again, let's focus on growing the classes that need the most help!

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    The problem is the large majority of our current racers and future racers will not drop that kind of money on an engine. If we want to change the way this sport is heading that is an entirely different conversation. The sport will die while you try to find people willing to spend that kind of money. They are out there but that is not what Stock Outboard is about to a lot of the racers.

Looking from the outside in, I had a conversation with a friend who races Stock Cars, yes they more expensive. He gets a lot more time on the track, races within an hour every weekend, etc...we know the reason. His comment when I told him what it would take to be competitive in a class (He likes to win). 5500.00 engine, 5000.00 boat, 2000.00 to start with for props, 1500.00 for a trailer. Safety equipment, etc. Told him 15000.00 to 18000.00 depending on how he wants to do it. Told him he could go with an old boat but... He said, I'll stick to race cars.

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    They are already in the class, what is your question?
Working...
X