Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pav225
    commented on 's reply
    You increase the cost of racing for people. For $15-$20 to buy a restrictor, you can race 2 classes on the same boat.
    We always talk about giving racers more boat time and "more bang for the buck". Can't think of a better way to do this than an inexpensive restrictor.

• csh-2z
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan, get off the computer and finish that boat! LOL

Hey, I think that is my first ever LOL!

• ryan_4z
    replied
    Now we are talking, Dana! This is the kind of SIMPLICITY we need!

Let me re-counter:

-A Stock- as is.

-C stock- as is

-B Stock-
    -25ssR becomes BSR, no changes,
    -20ssH becomses BSH. SW gets +1/4" in height. Reason: This is a minimal change. There is a chance for real parity here. The class is close as is. Dylan is not a fair representative of how Sidwinders run against Yamatos. He can't beat Pater like the rest of us can't beat anyone. A +1/4" would give the Sidewinder a legit fighting chance, with development. (As Dad said, I have data to show this.) But the 302 would still be the preferable option to those who want to win.

-Spec classes- -300ssH, as is.
    -20ssR -Sidewinder Spec Class. Sealed Sidewinders and Bottom Fin runabouts. Other boat specs to make boats similar. Current BSR drivers and boat builders can convene on specs that are agreed will perform well and keep legal majority of current boats if possible. Simple specs like bottom width, keel break, and Vee at dash can bring all boats within a narrow spectrum.

Stock Outboard. Eight classes.
    Last edited by ryan_4z; 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• csh-2z
    replied
    This post from earlier, ended up in the wrong post comment.
    Ryan and I did some testing on Thursday & Friday last week to test how much of a difference the three variables (height, weight, restrictor / no restrictor) make using the same prop. He hasn't downloaded the information from the Mychron to the laptop yet. However, once he has, we will analyze that data to make a proposal. The data will be in Chicago for the commission to analyze. We do want to make the 80's competitive but the clear motor of choice is the Sidewinder in this class.

One issue that comes to mind that has some on the Sidewinder side is the fact that whatever this commission does, the next commission can undo. It is because of that situation we don't have long term plans in any category in APBA. There have been numerous times in the past, where plans are made only to be reversed soon after.

Maybe there is a way to have the BOD freeze action on this type of proposal for a certain time frame of 3 - 5 years so a plan has a chance to work. I don't know, but it is something I am going to bring to the board for discussion.

Leave a comment:

• csh-2z
    commented on 's reply
    At this point, George, the only classes with a restrictor aside from B classes, which may change soon, will be the 25SSR and 20SSH. Now is not a good time to change either of those classes. I don't particularly like restrictors but once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you pretty much need to use it.

BTW send me a picture of the damage on your boat so I can fix it the weekend before New Years.

• squirrelboydeluxe
    replied
    What would happen if we kissed all the restrictors goodbye?

Leave a comment:

• dholt
    replied
    I'll counter with this.
    Keep the class with over 100 boats for the past 15 years as is (20ssH) where you can buy a reliable, cost effective motor (321/302). Parity not possible with 2 different engine mfg. We all know that. Re-name it BSH.

Scratch 20SW in hydro.

Scratch 25ssR.

Keep 20 SW BSR. Open it up to side fins.

Create a sealed/spec runabout class with the SW 20. Same concept/rules as the 300ssH class.

Now, you've got:

ASH/ASR
    BSH/BSR
    Spec Hydro (Yamato)
    Spec Runabout (Sidewinder)
    CSH/CSR
    DSH

PLENTY of opportunity to sell motors/attract drivers to speed ranges/drivers of all sizes.

No conflicts with parity. Each class has it's own Mfg. New equipment everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Big Don
    replied
    Here is a question for all of you. Why is it year after year we discuss this amongst the same 10/20 people. There are 360 people logged into this site right now if the number on the left is accurate. Even if it's not accurate, why do the rest of the 299 members not comment on this stuff?

I have to think a lot of the members come on this site. Or am I wrong on that?

You would think anytime a topic on their class gets discussed they would share their thoughts. I know not everyone is comfortable and some peoples feelings get hurt but if I saw something about my class I would certainly share my thoughts.

Oh, and we are never gong to do this stuff Ryan is rambling about. I get his point and what he is trying to accomplish. He understands if we keep doing the same old thing, he's not going to have a sport to race in. He's right in the fact that we do need to make some hard decisions. Yes, I disagree with him on this one right now. But we do need to have some crazy thoughts if we want to change/fix things. It's just hard to swallow messing with 20 right now.

Heck, I can't figure out if we should have side fins in BSR because I don't want to upset the 10 drivers the class has... Or get rid of 25H because it's dead but maybe the 20 Sidewinder unrestricted could have a home there?

Leave a comment:

• csh-2z
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan and I did some testing on Thursday & Friday last week to test how much of a difference the three variables (height, weight, restrictor / no restrictor) make using the same prop. He hasn't downloaded the information from the Mychron to the laptop yet. However, once he has, we will analyze that data to make a proposal. The data will be in Chicago for the commission to analyze. We do want to make the 80's competitive but the clear motor of choice is the Sidewinder in this class.

One issue that comes to mind that has some on the Sidewinder side is the fact that whatever this commission does, the next commission can undo. It is because of that situation we don't have long term plans in any category in APBA. There have been numerous times in the past, where plans are made only to be reversed soon after.

Maybe there is a way to have the BOD freeze action on this type of proposal for a certain time frame of 3 - 5 years so a plan has a chance to work. I don't know, but it is something I am going to bring to the board for discussion.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    And then I want to try to snake Donny's inside classic SW v. Yamato style;;;

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Man, I wish we could hug about that right now...

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    does anybody have any beer??????

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    pershpas I shohyuld drink ksomoe re beers.....

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan, 100% agree

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Perhaps I should drink more beers....
Working...
X