No announcement yet.

Hunter Grimes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me a while to find these photos but I thought I had some. I'm still searching for others. You've finished the race, Hunter.

From Thompson, CT 2006:

Hunter Grimes 3rd DSC_7918R1 MED.jpg

Hunter Grimes 3rd DSC_7919R1 MED.jpg

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Glad to have raced against and pitted with Hunter over the years. Glad to have known him outside of racing, too. He was a local legend up here in the 1000 Islands region and will truly be missed on so many levels. Our condolences to Martha, Gun, Hilary and their families.

Comment

Two more. Thanks to Hunt Leavitt for pointing me to Millville Fall 2007 in his post above.

Hunter Grimes 3rd DSC_2121R2 MED.jpg

Hunter Grimes 3rd DSC_2101R2 MED.jpg

Last edited by Mark 72@E; 09-09-2015, 10:34 AM.
        @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
        72@E
        Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Here are pics of Hunter at Crystal Lake in 2011 for the magazine article that I wrote about him for Thousand Islands Life.
          Last edited by dwhitford; 09-09-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you David - I enjoyed the article!
            - Scott

Comment

• dwhitford
              dwhitford commented
              Editing a comment
              When Hunter and Wayne Izzo (Giz) stopped by my house for a brief overnight on their way to Tabor City this spring, Hunter had just finished a series of radiation therapy. I then thought he would make it. He was so upbeat that it was impossible to believe otherwise.

Giz emailed me on Monday that Hunter died. I'm saddened. Among his last words to me that morning were,"I didn't make the bed too well this morning."

He was a friend for just less than 4 years, but doesn't that just take the cake!

Our deepest sympathy to all of Hunter's family. We really enjoyed seeing him at Tabor City this spring. We had many interactions over the years and I enjoyed his being on the MORC this year. I was inspired by his courage in his battle against cancer. His 850MH will never miss a beat again. God Bless.

Jeff and Mary
            Jeff
            5-P

Comment

I will never forget The Whitney Point Taste of the Regions, Hunter had his fish chowder and I brought fresh tuna steaks. Hunter kept yelling at me for ruining the tuna because I was cooking it on the grill. I had about 50 lbs of tuna steaks and was trying to keep the crowds happy with a variety of steaks whether well done or raw. I must say that Hunter and I have the same taste.....don't let it touch the grill! From then on I always had some set aside for Mr. Grimes, he truly understood the finer things in life. I will never eat another tuna steak without thinking about the great Hunter Grimes, may you race in peace my friend! God Speed!
              Dave W. Young
              95-D
              "Roll it up or roll it back on the trailer"

Comment

i will always have fond memories of hunter in the pits wearing his apron working on his engines. race in peace hunter.

frank novotny
                52_E

Comment

I believe this is some of Hunter's artwork... Picture is from Tabor City, NC two years ago.
                  Rest in Peace Hunter.

Comment

An impressive turn out yesterday for Hunter Grimes III great stories of his life were shared to give folks a snap shot of a fellow boat racer. Boat Racing was such a thin slice of Hunter's life rich with family, service to his country and love of the St. Lawrence River.

Comment

I was in a turn boat once with Hunter Grimes 3rd and Bill Giles. I was the third wheel. Where Hunter and Bill had signed up for patrol boat duty I had grabbed my camera and requested permission to hop aboard to take pictures. I didn't say much the whole time because it was fun listening to the two of them go back and forth. We were positioned in the first turn and when one of the fastest classes of the day came barreling towards us, the hair on the back of my neck must have been standing up. I was thinking about how exciting this was. And dangerous. And fun. My camera was clicking away. But as the boats filed into the first turn 1-2-3, Hunter said out loud, "They're not racing..." Bill agreed. I never felt more like a wimp as a boat racer than that moment. But sitting in between these two commentators, can you really blame me?
                      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                      72@E
                      Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Working...
                      X