No announcement yet.

stock divisionals, nationals qualifier thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck, why not also consider eliminating the previous years National Champion from getting a automatic buy! I think Divisional Qualifiers deserve the pre-qualified spots more since they do it in the year of the Nationals and not from the previous year as is the case with the defending National Champion. ))

Comment

Interesting thought oh Captain.

Tim
      Tim Weber

Comment

Currently favor Divisional Winners (& Reigning Champs) as Qualifiers, but could swing vote to “no” if Proposition-6-Points passed as part of package.

1- All div racers earn same points, even if outside Division.
        2- 8boat min for div Double Points, unless marathon (then 1boat min).
        3- Fan Disrespect Fine for Fudging Off Early in 8boat race.
        4- 50 show points as only-bonus to all finishers when less 8boats.
        5- Revocation of div points for Saturday-Only drivers.
        6- Reigning Div Winners & Nats Champs get Honor Berths in Winter Nats.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

A hypothetical thought. what would be the ramifications nationally if there were no pre-seeded qualifiers for nationals. No last years winners, no divisional qualifiers, nothing. Sorta curious as to what people thing.

Comment

• bill boyes
            bill boyes commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't stop there. No pre qualifiers and a three heat format .

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Dave I really think having no divisional pre-seeds would hurt the nationals. I'm not saying a lot, but we all know drivers who will go if they are pre-seeded but won't go if they are not. I'm not saying we need to have them, just saying I think it will cost us entries at nationals not having them.

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree 100% with Bill, we need to get to a 3 heat format. Bill Pavlick & Myself tried to figure a way to pull this off for Wakefield this year, but we can't figure out a way to do it time wise.

Dana's comments are right on. Without an incentive of pre-qualifying for the nationals the divisional races will never draw entries like it does therefore hurting local clubs attendance. Don't change something that is working. Now, changing the number of qualifying heats at the nationals from two to three is an idea. Or, utilize what is legal at local races, not sure if its legal at the nationals, which is implement a last chance qualifier. Gives those who travel to the nationals another chance to make the big show.
          Joe Silvestri
          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
          JH/JR

Comment

• bill boyes
            bill boyes commented
            Editing a comment
            Stock rules do not allow a 3 heat format at Nationals. It is OK for Divisonals. Have done it in Region 11 in the past and it works well.

Nobody is addressing one of the main issues here. The problem is with the 12 boat maximum field size. Eliminate clock starts and you can run everyone at once. Run the modified lemans format. Many problems solved. Everyone qualifies at every race, the race day gets shortened, and starts are able to be comprehended by anyone and everyone. Divisional races still get double points. Nationals pole position starting spot goes to last years winner. Divisional winners and others run a qualifying race. Divisional winners pick from a hat for the top tier starting spots in the qualifier, everyone else picks for the remaining spots. Finishing order of the qualifier is starting spots 2 through whatever for the final. All boats in each class are on the water and there is plenty of actual racing to watch, not a parade of 12 boats.

Comment

I understand things will never go back to the 1960-1970 days of racing with large boat counts . There were so many in a class that winning the Nationals was really something. Just to qualify was a great accomplishment. I feel that if there is not 12 boats entered in a Divisional or National event there should be no championship awarded. A Championship of this caliber is suppose to mean something. I am not sure what the minimum boat count is at this time. This should be for all categories, stock, mod and pro. I have seen a champion crowned with a five boat entry. What does it mean? This is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
              I understand things will never go back to the 1960-1970 days of racing with large boat counts . There were so many in a class that winning the Nationals was really something. Just to qualify was a great accomplishment. I feel that if there is not 12 boats entered in a Divisional or National event there should be no championship awarded. A Championship of this caliber is suppose to mean something. I am not sure what the minimum boat count is at this time. This should be for all categories, stock, mod and pro. I have seen a champion crowned with a five boat entry. What does it mean? This is just my opinion.

Bob...............i agree. 12 boats= National Champion. It is a joke to see a National Champion crowned and potentially walking into the HOC after winning a Nationals with say 8 boats or less entered at the National Championship. .. Great point.

Comment

I also agree there should be a 12 boat minimum. Currently in Stock, it's 8. You do receive HOC points if 8. None if less.
                I like the idea of a 3 heat qualifying format. There's enough time now since turnouts are so low and we're there all week. But in all honestly, 3 heats rewards the faster guys even more because they have more chances to overcome bad start, mechanical failure, etc... I still fail to see what truly is the problem with the current Divisional qualifier format.

Comment

Matt, I remember on a local level there were class leaders. When there was a race that leader would be in contact with others in the class to make sure there was a full field. Hard to do now days and that I understand. Even the USTS allows this to happen and they now control their rules. I guess I don't really have a say in anything but just give my opionion and some times it really gets me in trouble.

Comment

I will say this - change the way it is currently done and the Stock Divisionals become just a local race. Only the point chasers would travel for the double points - and that goes for the out of region winners.
                    So you might get a handful of additional boats at the Nationals (ands that is debatable) but the local clubs lose a valuable race that helps them stay afloat financially.

I am still not seeing who this is supposed to help.
                    Brian 10s

Comment

• Big Don
                      Big Don commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Brain I agree with you and Dana, don't see the need for this change. Maybe in the future if things change but not right now.

I don't like the divisional winners getting in (never have), but I think it helps our sport more having them, then if we didn't.

I just go back to the came argument I've used every time this comes up (every year), DO NOT do anything that may devalue local races, this move clearly would. Don't do it.
                    Moby Grape Racing
                    "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Motion to change divisionals format failed........unanimous i believe

Comment

is it just me or is it every year someone is trying to "re-invent the wheel" ? I believe you need the divisional pre-qualified entry at nat's to help local races I just don't see the need for this rule to be discussed about removal just saying

Comment

Working...
                        X