No announcement yet.

Okoume plywood source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are going to the National Meeting, you could get to Homestead from the meeting rather quickly. I drove there after a regional meeting, and they were very helpful, helping me go through sheets and select my favorites. The have the French and Brunzeel (sp) which I chose. Quantity purchases get the price down nicely. I have had some Delamination on the sheets from Noah's, which had me looking around when I found Homestead Hardwoods. The nicest sheets I've seen in my rather short boat building experience. Does anyone else agree with me that Jobert has gone down in quality in the last five or six years?

Comment

• blueskyracer
      blueskyracer commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to agree the quality of wood has gone down..Way down.. I think the BS stands for true BS now.. And yes wont deal with Noahs any more.. Especially the shippers they use

FYI...the wood from Harbor Sales was actually pretty good. I was shocked! :-)

Comment

• jp183w
      jp183w commented
      Editing a comment
      You might want to try/call Badger Hardwoods in Walworth, Wi. I have heard good things about them. I have not visited the store yet since I am out in Maine now. There was also a store on the near northside of Milwaukee. They had the best wood around. Streblow boats use to get all of their wood from there. Unfortunitly it was in the worst part of town.
      Good Luck Jim Petersen

• Big Don
      Big Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Does this mean you actually built something? Or did you just unbundle it and look at it?

What about Chesapeake Light Craft for Okume?

1805 George Avenue
    Annapolis, MD 21401

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/product...e-plywood.html
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I'm putting a new transom in our C Mod. Hydro. I purchased 3/4 inch marine fir plywood. After making the cuts I found no voids in the plywood. Fir is resistant to rot. And will probably out last the already 5 year old boat. No freight cost but I had to buy a 4x8 piece that cost $100.

Comment

• runabout333
        runabout333 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I continue to build a new runabout,, would you consider selling me a portion of that sheet???
        Would need transom material also.

Originally posted by Hydro doc View Post
      I'm putting a new transom in our C Mod. Hydro. I purchased 3/4 inch marine fir plywood. After making the cuts I found no voids in the plywood. Fir is resistant to rot. And will probably out last the already 5 year old boat. No freight cost but I had to buy a 4x8 piece that cost $100.
      Marine or standard exterior Fir will grain check regardless of most top finishes, fiberglass and top coat on Fir will prevent checking. I laminate both sides of the the fir ply with thin sheets of Okume on the transom - no issues.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

My 63 year old boat bottom of marine fir was treated with Firzite (sp?) and it has never checked. Firzite is no longer available. I have found that Interlux Interprime Wood Sealer works as well in keeping the grain from going wild in the different marine projects I have done over the years. Jack Deck 100S

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          That is good to know about the Interlux. How old is the plywood on that 63 year old boat if it has ever been replaced? Back in the 1960's fir plywood we used on boats didn't have the checking problem as bad as today's fir ply. But it had some disn't know to use Firzite we used to fiberglass them.

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Says here that the Interlux Sealer ; "Not for use with two-part polyurethane or epoxies" So that would be a problem for these finishes. Just oil based varnish or paint as a the top coat. Is that what you have been using?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/interl...sealer--117499

The bottom is 63 years old. It has never been replaced.It is on 100S built by the Switzer Brothers. I learned from them about firzite. Jack Deck

Comment

I never had much luck with the early polyurethanes or epoxies for that matter. I stick with what I know best. Heavy tung oil varnish and hard racing enamel. Call me old fashion but I have never had a problem with these. Jack Deck

Comment

Working...
          X