Restoration projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration projects

I started work on my 64 Switzer craft today and was curious if anyone here did or was involved with any antique race boat restorations that they would be willing to share pics of. Or possibly knew were any needing restoration could be found?
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Are you looking for information? We have a bullet and baby bullet. I also have restored many boats of all sizes
    in my profession and personally.
    Thanks, Jim Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
      I started work on my 64 Switzer craft today and was curious if anyone here did or was involved with any antique race boat restorations that they would be willing to share pics of. Or possibly knew were any needing restoration could be found?
      Hello,

Does your boat need just re-finishing or does it also need wood replacement?

Try.............. http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/Wooden-...storation.html

Good Luck with your project.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I was thinking that by starting the thread that we might get a chance to see some cool old restorations that guys are proud of and in doing so some good info might get exchanged and maybe even unearth a few prime resto candidates and barn finds. When I finish the Switzer I will be looking for a period correct 30H or 55H boat to restore..Speedliner, Switzer, Swift, Willits, That sort of thing. For example: Rumor has it that Johnny Cash's drummer was a boat racer and raced a DeSilva runabout they called the "Ring of fire" There were rumored to be 5 or 6 ring of fire boats. I know were one is, Does anyone know were any of the others might be? He also raced a hydro they called "Sue". Does anyone here know were that boat might be hiding?... I gotta think that those would be cool to see? Any photo's of a 63 Switzer shoot'n star would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

Hello,

Does your boat need just re-finishing or does it also need wood replacement?

Try.............. http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/Wooden-...storation.html

Good Luck with your project.
          The boat is one of Switzers prototypes, up to 63 they were wood, in 64 they made a few prototypes and in 65 the reintroduced what Mr. Switzer referred to as a full fiberglass complement. When I told him what I had he was skeptical and asked me to take some pics and send them to him. I received a call from him 4 days later and he was shocked to see it. He assured me that it was the only 64 known to exist. He went on to invite me to his place when it was done and he would authenticate the boat and said he would be willing to furnish the original blueprints. He is a super nice guy. I am going to replace the transom to be on the safe side but that is all the wood work I am doing. Here is a picture of the boat before I started http://www.hydrostream.org/GuestArchive/Switzer.htm . I am considering taking some measurements and attempting to build a 63 star if I could find some pics of one.

Comment

In the Country Misic Hall of Fame in Nashville,,, the Johnny Cash area,,, there used to be photos of the "Ring of Fire" boat.

Comment

Sonny;
              Marshall Grant was Johnny Cash's bass player and owned some of the best alky rigs of the 60's & 70's. The original Ring of Fire was a DeSilva DRR driven by Dickie Pond. Doug Reed & I with several Canadian friends were pitted near them at the 1965 Orange Cup in Lakeland, FL. Have several pictures of the Ring of Fire rig. Last I heard that boat was at Ron Waterson's boat shop in Fishers Landing for restoration. Sent him pictures from the Lakeland race to assist with the restoration.
              If you want more info on Marshall and his gang go to: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...Marshall-Grant
              Dave Curtis

Comment

Here is a restoration that is very well done, get into the video about 1.30 to see the work in time lapse. Very skillful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBdlOtiRdk#t=54
                "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I was thinking that by starting the thread that we might get a chance to see some cool old restorations that guys are proud of and in doing so some good info might get exchanged and maybe even unearth a few prime resto candidates and barn finds. When I finish the Switzer I will be looking for a period correct 30H or 55H boat to restore..Speedliner, Switzer, Swift, Willits, That sort of thing. For example: Rumor has it that Johnny Cash's drummer was a boat racer and raced a DeSilva runabout they called the "Ring of fire" There were rumored to be 5 or 6 ring of fire boats. I know were one is, Does anyone know were any of the others might be? He also raced a hydro they called "Sue". Does anyone here know were that boat might be hiding?... I gotta think that those would be cool to see? Any photo's of a 63 Switzer shoot'n star would be greatly appreciated.

It is not a rumor there were Ring of Fire runabouts and hydros owned by Johnny Cash's drummer Marshall Grant and driven by top drivers of the time.

Here is great info on Grant and the team

http://www.quincylooperracing.us/subpage20.html
                  Last edited by ZUL8TR; 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM.
                  "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Marshall Grant was not a drummer but a Base player and was partners with Cash when they first started out playing together. His biography is a nice book to read.

David

Comment

Originally posted by canoecty View Post
                      Sonny;
                      Marshall Grant was Johnny Cash's bass player and owned some of the best alky rigs of the 60's & 70's. The original Ring of Fire was a DeSilva DRR driven by Dickie Pond. Doug Reed & I with several Canadian friends were pitted near them at the 1965 Orange Cup in Lakeland, FL. Have several pictures of the Ring of Fire rig. Last I heard that boat was at Ron Waterson's boat shop in Fishers Landing for restoration. Sent him pictures from the Lakeland race to assist with the restoration.
                      If you want more info on Marshall and his gang go to: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...Marshall-Grant
                      Dave Curtis
                      Thanks Dave, lots of info, It is a great story

Comment

Originally posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
                        Marshall Grant was not a drummer but a Base player and was partners with Cash when they first started out playing together. His biography is a nice book to read.

David
                        -a pic of JC 'in the pits';.

-so there is no debate, here is pictoral evidence of Grant playing behind JC

Attached Files
                        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

I was thinking that by starting the thread that we might get a chance to see some cool old restorations that guys are proud of ...
                          Sonny; -u may have opened the flood gates with this thread, but here is a boat I was most proud of having, only needing a refinish, not restored, as it came from northern LA courtesy of David L6 up there, and was essentially intact . It is a OEM Ted Jones DSH/CRH, c1960. The 'ribbon stripe' mahogany deck shows up well with Epithanes. It took 1st at the Clayton Show in 2012.
                          Attached Files
                          Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                          "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

This is a D Sid Craft that I restored a few years ago. There was not much to start with as a previous owner thought they could convert the round nose into a pickle fork boat. The boat was cut back to the second rib on both sides along each sponson. It was a labor of love and I enjoyed the work. Alan and I have restored about half a dozen race boats and one pleasure boat.

Comment

We have a bunch of Sid Craft patterns and a pattern D Sid Craft Hornet available for a vary reasonable price if you want to pick them up.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X