about Arltralite boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave M View Post

David, that is very true. In fact, I would say go as far to say that the majority of the all carbon boats weigh in around the same weight as the wood boats of the same class. Some are even heavier. A lot of variables to be considered when building a mold boat. It is very easy to get in the mindset of it is carbon fiber and therfore it will be super light. It adds up very fast and you can get an all carbon boat way to heavy in a blink of an eye. As Kyle mentioned, the core material you use for the sandwhich varies. It is all about the strength to weight ratio you are looking for.

Hunter, what do your 850CCH boats that Matt built weigh in at ?
    I would like to see these supposed wood boats that weigh as little as one of my boats after a mishap. Hunters boat weighed 106lbs with the rear cowl and painted (I cant remember if that included hardware) when he picked it up in 2004. I was always more concerned with strength than weight. I didnt want the reputation (for my boats or other carbon boats) of not staying together. When I built George Luce's runabout (86lbs when he picked it up) he said build it as light as I could, I still built it heavier than I could have.
    If I were to build a boat today, it would be quite a bit larger than the current boats. In the past nobody wanted to experiment, only copy what they had. "make it the same just lighter". that may work to some degree but always seemed pointless to me. just look at the inboard hydroplane evolution from wood to composite. a current 2.5L is the size of an old 5L. the top speed remained the same(ish) but the ETs and cornering are a lot faster. outboard hydro, no change. why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by matthias View Post

I would like to see these supposed wood boats that weigh as little as one of my boats after a mishap. Hunters boat weighed 106lbs with the rear cowl and painted (I cant remember if that included hardware) when he picked it up in 2004. I was always more concerned with strength than weight. I didnt want the reputation (for my boats or other carbon boats) of not staying together. When I built George Luce's runabout (86lbs when he picked it up) he said build it as light as I could, I still built it heavier than I could have.
      If I were to build a boat today, it would be quite a bit larger than the current boats. In the past nobody wanted to experiment, only copy what they had. "make it the same just lighter". that may work to some degree but always seemed pointless to me. just look at the inboard hydroplane evolution from wood to composite. a current 2.5L is the size of an old 5L. the top speed remained the same(ish) but the ETs and cornering are a lot faster. outboard hydro, no change. why is that?

Matt,

Not trying to start a pissing match with you. I just offered up my opinion. My current SEH, you call it an 850CCH, is heavier than 106 pounds for a reason. And I think you hit upon that in your post. It survived an accident a couple weekends ago where it went end for end twice then barrell rolled a couple times. It came in and I expected the worst in damage. It was unscathed, which surprised me. It is a mixture of composites and wood. Balanced as i call it.

Just food for thought, but when I want to try something different, like you suggest an experiment, I sit my arse in the thing and prove it works or doesn't work before I build any more. I get better feedback this way becasue I know what I looking for in performance. There are very few people I would let in my experiment boats and give me feedback. Dang few. And these boats never see a race until the design is proven in testing.

The sad reality is, boat building for racers is never going to be a money making deal, ever. You have had some great ideas along the way and sure wish you were still in it. But I completely understand why you are not, there is no money in it. It is more a labor of love than a business. I don't know too many racers who will shell out 7 - 10K for a hydro. Maybe a few, but not many. And that is what you would have to charge to make a living at it.
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Pugh Boat Works is jumping on the composite band wagon. 2014 is the first year we've been making all Carpet Fiber boats. Our proximity to north Georgia and the carpet mills makes that a sound buisiness practice. We get left over flocking by the truck load and spin them into the best Flocking Carpet Fiber boats you can buy ;-)

" It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
        Art Pugh

Comment

• JBM
          JBM commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't wait to see one roll out. Make sure you use a good padding

• Dave M
          Dave M commented
          Editing a comment
          One can "West" just about anything and race it !

Now that's Flocking funny mate !!!

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

I have got to ask why do folks want super light boats that wont last very long so they can add 40 lbs of lead??
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• R13racer
            R13racer commented
            Editing a comment
            Easier to get on and off/ in and out the trailer.

With a wood boat, it doesn't make sense to have a light boat, perhaps weak boat, then add lead and have a heavy driver drive it. Now in composite, the boat by nature is stronger and lighter and you can add the weight where its works best. Usually the driver is the easiest/cheapest place to shed weight though. Remember that in PRO, there are no minimum weights except when a UIM event is run.
          " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
          Art Pugh

Comment

Working...
          X