Favorite race site .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David_L6
    Are you trying to make me go into debt buying another C boat?

If you are going to bring your C Merc, I'll make sure that I have mine back together and ready to go. If we can get Kevin "MacAttack" McAfee and "Burnin'" Vernon Barfield to bring their C Mercs (don't know if Vernon still has a C boat or not) we'll have enough for a race without any Yamatos.

One condition though.... If the wind is blowing very hard, I ain't goin' out! I used to think that I could drive almost anything.... After wrecking the C boat I have now about 25% of the times I've raced it, I'm not so sure anymore. The boat turns as well or better than any boat I've ever raced, bar none. It's also about as predictable as a mad and confused woman if the water gets rough or if there is much wind. I liked my old '83 model B&H a lot better than the boat I have now. Sometimes I think the d@mned thing is out ta git me!

I don't know how Sam could make it look so easy? (After trying to drive this thing, I have no doubt that he's a better driver than I am!)

I do entertain the spectators better than Sam did though. But I slow down the schedule too......

go into debt????? Heck, you are Mr. Big Money David, buying (2) of those spendy Arltralite hydro's!! I am sure Matt could give you a little $$ break on the 3rd boat!

I ain't worried about the wind, as I wil be laying down in the boat........
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Favorite places I have raced,

Long Sault, Ontario Canada
      Reagans Silver Lake, Oswego NY
      Crystal Lake NY

All time favorite has to be Cocagne New Brunswick Canada (inboard days)

Comment

Having been to all the courses mentioned above save for Denton, Pleasanton and the marathon course, its hard to pick the best. Alexandria/Pineville is good, decent pits and great food, saw a great electrical storm there once with green lightning and a direct hit on a transformer with lots of sparks and stuff flying off- once we were there and a city worker was cutting grass with a big tractor and stopped to watch us and came up later to ask us if "Youall had a chain?"-of course printed words don't sound like a Lousianan but we finally figured out what he said and asked why and he pointed out in the lake and all we could see was the exhaust pipe sticking up out of the water from his tractor. The mayor came to watch the retrieval and when the tractor emerged, dripping and covered with weeds, my brother inquired if there were any openings in the Park Dept which didn't go over real well but has made us laugh for years.

Yelm is great, love the 1 2/3 mile course and technically driving fast as well as some of the scenery on the trip out there and on the daily treck back to civilization although it has pretty much arrived in Yelm now but it used to be quiet and rural there. Depue is ok, can be muddy but is great place to test and make noise. Whitney Point and Wakefield are good with parties and all to keep people together but I have to put Bakersfield CA ahead with the close by motel, adjacent river for tubing for relaxtion and to cool off and a decent course- not huge but big enough plus they have run 4 lap races. My very favorite course of all was Avon Park FL, a medium sized course in central FL. It was down in a bowl and very protected and calm, an egg-shaped course with a big first turn and medium sized second turn so you needed speed on the big turn and a boat that could take the second wide open as well but do it much tighter. They once had prizes for the fastest heat of the weekend for CSH and DSH. I ran an untested prop I found in Harold Berghauer's motor home and he let me try with the admonishion that "We never race anything without testing it first." My prop gauge showed it to be right where I wanted it and my CSH time was faster than all the DSHs that weekend. I've still got that plaque hanging in the basement and Berghauer tried the prop in Dee's heat and it didn't work on his Bezoat so he let me keep it and it won a number of CSH high points, records and Nationals until the Merc 30-H was banned. I think they lost the course because the residents complained about the city only cutting the grass for the pits when we raced there, not for them to use it. There was a nearby lake where we could test at for a day or two before the race so it made for a nice trip in mid-winter. I'm sure no one else will put it at the top of their list but is unquestionably my favorite.

Comment

Avon Park

I always liked the Avon Park course also but didn't care for the fire ants and the fact that some local kids would try and lock you in the porta-toliets they used as they had provisons for locking from the outside. Hinton is my favorite.

Cooper

Comment

best course

witney point

Comment

Yelm, Washington ... aka... Lawrence Lake "The fastest water in the world" The lake is set up to run any record course in the book depending on water level. If there were more motels in the area, Stock Nationals could easily be held here.

Cullaby Lake - Seaside, Oregon... Located on the Oregon coast Cullaby has been, and will continue to be, the host to many west coast divisionals. Has a nice tear drop course and decent pit area. But the race is only half the fun. Every year on Saturday night all the boat racers go into town and eat dinner then go to the bumper cars. About 40-50 racers show for the annual get together at the bumber cars which we as boat racers take to a new level. All the aggression that you worked up during the race day can be let out here. Then after the bumber cars close, we walk down the block to the arcade where you can race against 7 other boat racers on a "Daytona 500" car racing game. Makes for a night.

Comment

1. Kittaning, PA has always been my all time favorite. Nothing like racing in front of standing room only. People would be lining the whole front stretch. Great water to almost every year, especially for a river course.

Others I have always liked were:
                Sutton, WV if you could get past the HUGH party the locals were throwing. Dunville, ON was always a blast. Wind was always an issue but the bar was just too close. Franklin, PA is one of the current favorites. Good water, great racing and a boat burning each time we are there.
                Brian 10s

Comment

Revised Fav's (since Frankin went backwards)

Rainbow City Al

Omaha NB

Centralia IL, best water I have ever raced on, bar none. Pits tight, but water........
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I've got to say that Lock Haven, PA is my favorite..I've only gone the past two years, but I'll be there every year from now on.
                    but I can't forget about Millville, NJ and Franklin, PA.
                    The Runne's: Born with plastic sporks in their mouths.

Comment

Thee Course

Jesup is surrounded on all sides by tall pines backed up by a few cotton fields. The local turnout is sparse but there. Huge pit area and pavillions compliment winding clay roads and rolling hills with cattle and farming equipent. Doc Holliday's is a rustic and relaxing atmosphere after a long day of racing with a decent menu. But if you enjoy chewing the fat under the stars, the camping in the pits is worth the trip alone.

Comment

ur good

Originally posted by Boomtap15F
                        Jesup is surrounded on all sides by tall pines backed up by a few cotton fields. The local turnout is sparse but there. Huge pit area and pavillions compliment winding clay roads and rolling hills with cattle and farming equipent. Doc Holliday's is a rustic and relaxing atmosphere after a long day of racing with a decent menu. But if you enjoy chewing the fat under the stars, the camping in the pits is worth the trip alone.
                        wow u should be a poet or a pamphlet writer !!
                        89-F
                        ,ASH,AXSH,OSY-400,20SSH

Comment

I'm with Bill Huson on Denton MD for a drivers course, it's real fun in a 250 and (it was) really exciting in a 500.

Brian, the drivers meeting is in the bar , maybe you should come on down next year. Bring your (very) short course wheel if you do.

Hinton WV gets my vote for one of the prettiest places we've raced.

Dave
                          I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                          The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Although extremely long days...

Lock Haven has to be the best weekend of my year. The ramp is a little steep, but great pits, good size course, well over 100 boats, tight turns make for some good dogfights, the carnival/beer tent, and some fun parties. The most unseen faces for me other than the Nationals. Already booked room for next year, and I haven't been home 24 hours yet! We didn't have it this year, but the coolerbobbing makes it all worth it.
                            Future J dad!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_E71
                              I'm with Bill Huson on Denton MD for a drivers course, it's real fun in a 250 and (it was) really exciting in a 500.

Brian, the drivers meeting is in the bar , maybe you should come on down next year. Bring your (very) short course wheel if you do.

Hinton WV gets my vote for one of the prettiest places we've raced.

Dave
                              Dave,
                              I had it all planned out for '05 and things didn't work out. Anytime there is a drivers meeting in the bar, I'm all for it. Dad has been talking about it for years "you guys think you are drivers, go down there and drive a "real" drivers course." Can't keep listening to that all the time.
                              Will put it on the schedule for '06!!
                              Besides, I always love a chance to drink all of Sean's adult beverages.
                              Brian 10s

Comment

Denton??????

Are we talking the world famous Denton 1/8th mile course that Gary Augustine made famous by digging the outside chine of his good ole 500ccHydro and spraying down the locals at the dock outside the bar year after year until he barrel-rolled it!

I use Denton as a test site for my J's and run out of room!!!! Hey,you can't beat the chicken dinners though.

LATER

Comment

Working...
                                X