Arltralite 2.5L inboard hydroplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arltralite 2.5L inboard hydroplane

I am building a carbon fiber 2.5L hydroplane. I will be posting pictures from time to tiime during the construction. Here are a few to start. number one is the left sponson out of the mold, weighs 38lbs. number 2 is the right sponson in the mold being vacuum bagged and left sponson on the floor in the mold. number 3 is the center section or bottom in the mold. number 4 is the plug used to make the mold for the capsule.

That's awesome Matt! Hope you sell a bunch!

See you at deseronto!
    Fralick Racing
    Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Niiice..

Wow, Thats gonna be a flighty little boat... Should be awesome! Best of luck!

Tom B.
      Go Fast.. Break Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by tborisch
        Wow, Thats gonna be a flighty little boat... Should be awesome! Best of luck!

Tom B.
        why do you think this boat is going to be flighty?

some more pics of the sponsons with frames.

the capsule mold is almost done. I will start assembly in a day or two. check back everyday for updated pics

Comment

Matt,

Awesome work. Please keep posting pics of the progress.

One of your C Hydros is here in Region 10. It runs quite well. I took a close look at it. Nice job, especially the sharp trailing edges.

When you are laying up a part as large as these 2.5L sections (or even a CSH for that matter), do you have to recruit a few people to help you spread the resin, lay out the cloth and core materials and then bag before the resin cures? Or are you using something like prepreg or another method?

Have you looking into Vacuum Infusion?

Keep up the great work. I think you are on the right track. Building wood boats is the mainstay in outboards and it's what everyone expects, but there are less and less of us woodworkers that are willing to work for $2/hour. Pulling parts from a mold is going to result in filling orders quicker with a high quality product, but at the same time the price is going to jump. Especially when using epoxy, core materials, carbon or Kevlar and bagging supplies (not polyester resin, mat and roving). I wonder if the outboard racers will be willing to pay the higher price for a composite outboard hydro or runabout.

Bill B. - Blackwell Racing Boats

Comment

as usual Matt, nice looking boat!

Comment

Hey Matt

Matt, check your email.

Comment

hey Rich

this boat is to big for fe and way to big for csh

Comment

Bill

I have a couple of helpers make the big parts, A sponson takes about 2.5hrs to laminate and vacuum bag. Most other parts like the center section, capsule and even the csh molded boats I build take 2 guys about 2.5hrs to laminate and vacuum bag.

The one boat out west was one of my earlier pieces. I have changed alot of the materials and methods since that boat.

It takes me almost 100hrs to build one of the custom panel outboard hydros. About 80hrs for one of the molded csh. I am not going to say how much the material costs that is in a boat, its a lot. One can quickly figure out that I am not making much money either.

I have made 12 outboard hydros, 3 runabouts and a sst60 tunnel boat since october. pretty good numbers I think.

Comment

Originally posted by arltralite

I have made 12 outboard hydros, 3 runabouts

Mind telling us what classes those 15 boats were built for? (I'm just curious.)

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

How much do boat builders charge for an FEH?

Wood and Composite prices. Just wanted to get some idea of a general price range for a new boat I want to sell.
                      Mark Nelson

Comment

the 15 boats

2 CSH molded
                        1 20ssh
                        1 CSH
                        1 BMH
                        1 DMH
                        3 FEH

2 OSY 400
                        1 125H

1 25SSR
                        1 CMR
                        1 FER

I sell FEH for $4500us

Comment

Matt,

Roughly what do you charge for a molded CSH? Thanks.
                          Joe Silvestri
                          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                          JH/JR

Comment

here are a few pics. center section is framed, sponsons are framed, capsule mold is done and the canopy mold is done

Comment

Originally posted by arltralite
                              here are a few pics. center section is framed, sponsons are framed, capsule mold is done and the canopy mold is done

Matt, it looks great!! What is the hydro sitting next to it?
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X