Yamato 80 Tac???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 80 Tac???

Does anyone know of a tac that they can get to work on the Yamato 80's? We've been trying like hell to find one to work. We've tried Digitron, Tiny-tac, OMC tac's and our Merctronic, and we can't get anything to give us a reading. Wondering if anyone knows of one that they've gotten to work? I heard you may have to send a Digitron into the factory to have it re-calibrated so it will work with the ignition the 80's use, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Digitron

Donnie,

Give Digitron a call.....very easy to work with and very willing to help out.
    They worked with me several years ago and were always very willing to
    get things right. The Yamato ignition is a bit on the noisy side so just tell
    them what you need and they should have something to get you going.

Ron
    5-S (Used to be)

Comment

Donnie,

Ron is right. Don't give up on the Digatron. Give Digatron a call, ask for a tech and tell them you have a 2-Cylinder, 2-Stroke Yamato Outboard Racing Motor. Digatron is great to work with, in fact I was just over there today. It's nice to have them in your backyard.

Mike
      Sattler Racing R-15
      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
      TEAM VRP
      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Stihl Tach

Hey Don,

I think Dave Howard came up with a Stihl chainsaw tach that works well with the 80 - we have been using them this year.

Dave, am I right about this?

Sean

Comment

where can I find them online

I have been looking for the Stihl tach but can't find them online do you have an address

Comment

Digitron

Don
            I have recently had extensive talks with Digitron on this subject and opted to continue using my 1989 Digitron tach/CHT which is perfect. The new ones have to be tweeked to allow for the old style pointed ignition but will work. I also went through several Tiny Tachs and after dealing with the factory finally through in the towel.................

Be prepared with extention leads to pay around $300 for the Digitron. They have a good web site with phone numbers.

Are the girls running this year??

LATER

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas. Yeah the girls are running. Margaret is racing AX and Kathleen is going to stay with J again, Thomas started this year too, so Dad has been mighty busy with all four of us racing.

Do you guys know any of the digitron model numbers that worked for you guys?

Comment

Models...............

Don

Current model you should look at is DT-46K which is for boat applications and has the CHT feature built in addition to a large display window. My old school model is a DT-6E which I am not sure if they sell used or not.

Visit them at digitronusa.com....................

Don't forget to order an extra 3-4 feet of cable to reach the motor!

MATT

Comment

Should I be worried about the readings I get with the tiny tac? I wrap the wire around both spark plug wires and it works, but then again it may be off and I just don't know better.

Comment

Originally posted by DougMc
                    Should I be worried about the readings I get with the tiny tac? I wrap the wire around both spark plug wires and it works, but then again it may be off and I just don't know better.
                    Your wrapping BOTH plug wires?

What kind of readings are you getting?
                    Sattler Racing R-15
                    350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                    TEAM VRP
                    The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

First of course I attach the gound wire. If I only wrap around one spark plug wire, as instructed in the directions, I read around 3,400 or so depending on the prop. If i wrap around both spark plug wires, I read around 6,800 or so depending on the prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Augustine
                        Hey Don,

I think Dave Howard came up with a Stihl chainsaw tach that works well with the 80 - we have been using them this year.

Dave, am I right about this?

Sean
                        I found Stihl chainsaw tachs at http://www.madsens1.com/tach.htm The smaller credit card sized one seems to be working well for Harry Danforth. I also purchased the other model shown on that page. Big Dave A. has not been able to get it to work consistently(I think he forgets to look at it!!) I have not been able to try either one personaly since they came in the mail after my flying lesson at Camden in Ian A.s boat Both of these will work inductively(by pointing it at or holding it near the plug wire) and also by extending the lead wire that comes with it .I tried one of them with 25 feet of wire on a chainsaw compared to the other one held right next to the saw and both read the same
                        Last edited by wetrider; 07-19-2005, 04:00 PM.
                        Dave 4Q

Comment

The Stihl tach should work fine!

In have - somewhere - an old late 80s Suzuki inductive tach and all you do is pick 2 or 4 stroke, number of cylinders and dangle the wire in the vicinity of your engine. Only prob is a LCD readout which can be a bugger-bear to read in the sunlight.

Any day now the Suzuki tach should surface during the Great Pre-Move Cleanout. And I do mean Great Cleanout. SWMBO has allowed me four copy paper boxes for my *stuff*, the rest stays behind.
                          carpetbagger

Comment

I want it!!
                            Dave 4Q

Comment

un-freaking-believable!

David AKA wetrider: I see your request, grab a flashlight and journey to the loft and there on the top of the big ol' mahagony desk that is also available for the taking (free!) I find one solar cell digital tach! Search time, less than two minutes - a new personal record for tool finding.

It has a Lithium Battery on board which is D.O.A. Cheap junk, couldn't even last 18 years - got it in `87 or thereabouts. CR 2032, and I seem to recall that's a common battery for keyfob thingers, so I'll round one up tomorrow.

My cell # (703) 624-9648. You can pick it up if you're in the area this week, or I'll mail it to you. size = 2 1/2" W X 4 1/2" L X 1/4" thick. Antenna with clip thing on end, about 36". Has neck lanyard too!
                              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X