APBA Marketing strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA Marketing strategy

Hello, I am just wondering what's up with APBA and other local/regional clubs, I last raced in 2011 and have not re-upped my APBA membership nor my MHRA club membership, Neither organization has Ever sent me an Email or a letter via snail mail asking me to re-up, or to ask if I'd like to pay for a non racing membership.
    Or how bout asking if I'd like to get onto Vintage racing, there included in APBA,, how much equipment is just sitting in basements and garages? If they were reminded of an outlet to run the stuff, maybe they would?
    Wow, if I buy a widget on e-bay they hound me with emails for years!, it's just a simple thing but they don't do it, I wonder why?
    Wouldn't that simple jesture generate at least some extra cash flow or maybe make an old racer feel welcome to hang around?
    Hummmm

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 25xs seeya!; 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM.

I have been racing for over 50 years and still don't think too much about hanging it up. I don't see the end any time soon as my son is a racer as well. My grandson has a couple of years yet before he can start but he's chomping at the bit already. The point here is that, at least for us, you're either in or you're out. We do it because we love it and don't need any coaxing to continue.

Comment

My son, (a junior at Oregon State, who recently tore his ACL) and myself were nudged in to a 2 year hiatus from APBA, (we still get on the water once or twice with the Whidbey Roostertails).

APBA has sent us Membership Renewal forms every year.

I think Crown sold our APBA info, now I get sports center magazines in the mail referencing being a race director.

Comment

Good Point

The only reason some receive a few Propellor Magazines, or emails is because someone forgot to delete you from the mailing list when your money was not in for membership. In my 30 plus years in racing, have never heard of them reaching out to has been members. I guess the old adage is true, better to be a has been then a never was.

I honestly believe you have a very valid point. And I am certian this has been discussed at length previously right here on this site. I no longer participate with APBA for a variety of reasons, but still have never received any materials digital, or paper since I never renewed my membership. I also think right now is a transition period for APBA, so maybe this can be improved on in the next 5 - 10 years. Not a lot of folks like Pops67G around anymore that have the "in" for boat racing. A simple magazine, or email sometimes sparks a person to at least go check out what they have been missing.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by 25xs seeya! View Post
          Hello, I am just wondering what's up with APBA and other local/regional clubs, I last raced in 2011 and have not re-upped my APBA membership nor my MHRA club membership, Neither organization has Ever sent me an Email or a letter via snail mail asking me to re-up, or to ask if I'd like to pay for a non racing membership.
          Or how bout asking if I'd like to get onto Vintage racing, there included in APBA,, how much equipment is just sitting in basements and garages? If they were reminded of an outlet to run the stuff, maybe they would?
          Wow, if I buy a widget on e-bay they hound me with emails for years!, it's just a simple thing but they don't do it, I wonder why?
          Wouldn't that simple jesture generate at least some extra cash flow or maybe make an old racer feel welcome to hang around?
          Hummmm

Thoughts?
          With the budget that APBA has it is amazing they are still doing business,
          so just be happy that they are there.
          They are not a Marketing company and only a record keeping Organization that provides very difficult to get Race Day insurance that more and more cities require so we can race in their pond

So anything you want done you will have to personally do.

Comment

Hummmm

Thoughts?
            Todd, seriously why don't you also post this on the APBA site and see if you get any responses over there from APBA.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
              Todd, seriously why don't you also post this on the APBA site and see if you get any responses over there from APBA.
              Hi Don,

I guess I didn't think I could post over there as I'm not a member, I was just thinking last nite that the people in the APBA office can't be That busy all winter, how hard is it to go thru old application forms or email address and send out a mass email every month, I would think they would want to generate every dime they could to save there jobs?
              I'm thinking about becoming a member of APBA again so that I can join the Vintage club down in Tavares Florida, they seem like a very nice group, I'm looking at a vintage 6 liter or poss a GP boat, I'd like to restore one then PLAY!

Comment

We have done this a couple of times...

APBA has done this type of marketing in past years. Most recently at the end of 2013 anyone not a member the previous 2 racing seasons were sent a letter and email. Anyone over 2 years were sent an email.

Contrary to the belief of a select few the APBA office works very hard all year round. The membership is 3k and they are 4 people. And the amount of nonsense they get bombarded with is really something. I wish everyone could spend a day in that office. Pat and Dave once again I can't figure out how a couple of smart guys like yourself aren't running this org.

AA
                Last edited by adamallen; 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adamallen View Post
                  APBA has done this type of marketing in past years. Most recently at the end of 2013 anyone not a member the previous 2 racing seasons were sent a letter and email. Anyone over 2 years were sent an email.

Contrary to the belief of a select few the APBA office works very hard all year round. The membership is 3k and they are 4 people. And the amount of nonsense they get bombarded with is really something. I wish everyone could spend a day in that office. Pat and Dave once again I can't figure out how a couple of smart guys like yourself aren't running this org.

AA
                  Gotcha Adam,

Thanks for the insight into the busy office, I for one have not ever received anything from them, it's no big deal, I wasn't trying to make it one really, I just think at Least a monthly email generated by a computer wouldn't be too much to ask, just me, and if you don't want to get further mail from them you could just opt out

Comment

Hey Adam,

Since you are in the know about APBA. Numbers I'm wondering if you know what the highest ever membership with APBA ever was and what year that was?

Comment

Just a report on how others do it.
                      When you become an AMA (America Motorcycle association) member you are assigned a member number and that number stays with you for life. Each year you are sent renewal forms, even if you do not renew you are sent reminders a few times a year. Each time you renew you are sent a membership card, stickers, special offers and a pin with the pin depicting how many years you have been a member. For myself, I have been a member for about 30 years but as only one of the tracks I race at is AMA I only renew about once every 5 years and am currently on my 9 year pin.

APBA/SOA starting my 20th year. 50-R

Comment

Originally posted by adamallen View Post

AA
                        I do not know if you were being serious or not so being a conservative I will respond positively.
                        I know several of the girls and the remaining ones have all my sympathy
                        As with most business in todays world the masses look to the governing body
                        for anything they think they should be getting. The budget is so small it is amazing that anything gets done. Last time I knew what the budget was it was not over $900,000.00. Three thousand owners and a budget of under 1 million. Hot Dog trucks on long island do better.
                        Yea owners you know membership organization means drivers own the APBA.

So either double the membership or double the Dues or shut up and be happy you get what you get.

Oh and the office thing--I do not work that cheap--and would never live in Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
                          I do not know if you were being serious or not so being a conservative I will respond positively.
                          I know several of the girls and the remaining ones have all my sympathy
                          As with most business in todays world the masses look to the governing body
                          for anything they think they should be getting. The budget is so small it is amazing that anything gets done. Last time I knew what the budget was it was not over $900,000.00. Three thousand owners and a budget of under 1 million. Hot Dog trucks on long island do better.
                          Yea owners you know membership organization means drivers own the APBA.

So either double the membership or double the Dues or shut up and be happy you get what you get.

Oh and the office thing--I do not work that cheap--and would never live in Detroit.
                          I'm ultra conservative, so what's the point of stating that?

I'm born and raised in Detroit, I wouldn't live anywhere near there, again what's your point?

You keep saying things like " be happy with poor service they can't help it" and stuff like that, so what's your point? That we can't do better?

Ahhhh,, I don't fully understand where you stand

Todd

Oh my god,,, I sound just like BIG DON! LOL...

Comment

I'm born and raised in Detroit, I wouldn't live anywhere near there, again what's your point?

You keep saying things like " be happy with poor service they can't help it" and stuff like that, so what's your point? That we can't do better?

Todd

At this time YEP you can't do better. You have a club with no money GET IT THATS THE POINT.

Liberals only see negatively I was not sure if comments about me and Dave was cracking wise or for real so I dealt with it Positively.

I was asked to work at HQ not in Detroit and there is not enough money anyway.

Move HQ to Watkins Glen and pay me what I would ask --again not enough Money.
                            Last edited by raceright; 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Todd

And at this time (no crystal ball) I am not a member of APBA but was for over 45 years commissioner for 7, now helping make USTS the best we can..

Comment

Working...
                              X