Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Dayton Stock Outboard Nationals Reunion . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
    Ron I think you are correct. I was only 16 but I seem to remember Gene was the one behind it.

Who was it from California that brought all the Coor's beer on their trailer? Dawe? Seems to me there was a story behind that, like the axle breaking or something. I can remember standing by the trailer seeing the water from all the melting ice dripping out of it.
    Hey Don, was Raynal there in 74? I recall reading that speed & spray, those were the days!

Comment

Listing of some "ole timers at:

https://social.apba-racing.com/discu...s-reunion-time

Comment

Divisional Qualifiers

I showed up at Dayton, 1974, qualified in CU and DU. Registration closed at 4:00. It was 10 to 3......I thought. Mike Johnson told me I'd better register fast, I said, I have an hour." He said, "No, it is 10 to 4." I got registered on time, but I did know know Dayton was on eastern time.

I always thought I had a pretty cool "FACT" for 1974. I was first in DU and 12 in CU. I could not have been any better in DU and could not have been worse in CU. My "D" was "HUMMING", my "C" blew a top seal, and wasn't "HUMMING".

Though Jon Culver was from Dayton and a good friend of Gene Whipp's, I don't think he was at Dayton 1974.

Steve DeFeo's ASH win was the most impressive win of the week, at least I thought so!

Comment

howie the first picture is my helmet in the spray on the inside i got washed out in the firstturn

Comment

Sharing a pic from Dayton . . .

Couple of great boat builders John Karelson and Shannon Bowman share the repairs of "Glasses" DSH . . . The Glass Slipper
            Repair materials included combination of Ocume, cardboard, tape and of course lots of glue . . . got the job done.

Awesome team work!

That's what the race "family" is all about . . . Any other pics to share?
            Attached Files

Comment

Any chance that could be Broom instead of Shanon?

Comment

Look closely at the eyes, it's Shannon. Shannon and Broom had similiar hair styles then.
                It was one of those epic moments the 2 together working . . . best you could get.

Broom's hairstyle changed after his "haircut" at Dayton.
                Can't remember why they shaved Brrom's hair though . . . Anyone have any ideas on that story?

Comment

Shannon and ?

That's not Gary Hilsen with Shannon is it???

Comment

I'm not familiar with John K.

Comment

Broom Told George Still, Sr. H'd Win Super C Hydro

Originally posted by Jean Mackay View Post
                      Look closely at the eyes, it's Shannon. Shannon and Broom had similar hair styles then.
                      It was one of those epic moments the 2 together working . . . best you could get.

Broom's hairstyle changed after his "haircut" at Dayton.
                      Can't remember why they shaved Brrom's hair though . . . Anyone have any ideas on that story?
                      Broom was so confident he'd win Super C Hydro, he told George he could cut his hair if he didn't win.

A least, that is what I recall!

Comment

My Dad was the Ref Broom had a bet with my Dad that he would win Super C and if he didnt my Dad could cut his hair , he didnt win so he got his hair cut on stage thats where this picture came from.
                        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Pic

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
                          My Dad was the Ref Broom had a bet with my Dad that he would win Super C and if he didnt my Dad could cut his hair , he didnt win so he got his hair cut on stage thats where this picture came from.
                          Jean posted this one on the APBA site..........some ole faces. Broom, Dale Davidson, Larry Lister and our main man Tommy "Admiral Weird' Barrett!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

To confirm that was Shannon and John Karelson doing a major repair to my boat after a crash in 35SSH at the Dayton Nationals I was near the front when I spun out and did some major damage. Because the DSH final was later in the week John and Shannon performed a rather quick and very involved repair. The high point was making a cowl out a big plastic trash can. The repair was so well done I raced the boat around 15 more time before the end of the season and I was able to get the boat to the Bezoats factory was a rebuild
                            Glasses

Comment

Shannon's Head...

Ok, Broom not in sight. Shannon and John Karelsen.

So, what year Dayton is this??? Like 1979???

First 35 Nationals were at Bakersfield, 1977 and they were considered "LOCAL".

Comment

Notice the motor on 6W. A Y80
                                bill b

Comment

Working...
                                X