302 SSH test data and info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 SSH test data and info

Well, as you all know, we did not run the 302 at Delaware, so Deck Racing will be bringing 1 if not 2 302SSH to Grass Lake on Sunday May 19th to break them in and test around noon.

As of right now, we don't have a test wheel to break the motors in due to the factory shaft.

Also, the wheels made by Brinkman rub up against the nose cone so if you have a 302, we turned the motor over by hand several times, tightening the prop nut each few turns until the prop shave the cone for us.

We then (much to Mark Wheelers shock who banned me for 30 days before getting an explanation of what we were doing) started the motor away from the pits with the wheel to let it finish the machining, and then I will take some emery cloth to smooth out. So if you have your motor and wheel, take a look and do this before a race.

Since we didn't run them, I am going to go document with video and GPS what this class will be like. I plan on having a boat cam, head cam, and shoreline footage as well as GPS readings, and if I get done soon, a GPS log showing acceleration curves.

Here's to a new class!

I did have several new drivers express interest in this at Delaware, so once we get them out, this will be a valuable asset to get some new blood in the sport, as well as have some fun among ourselves!
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

I made a detour to my cottage in Michigan after we left Delaware and was able to run it on the calm part of the lake to break it in . If you guys want company at Grass Lake to test , I could bring my boat over .

Comment

Grass Lake

If you are free and in the area, absolutely!
      When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by DtwSailor View Post
        Well, as you all know, we did not run the 302 at Delaware, so Deck Racing will be bringing 1 if not 2 302SSH to Grass Lake on Sunday May 19th to break them in and test around noon.

As of right now, we don't have a test wheel to break the motors in due to the factory shaft.

Also, the wheels made by Brinkman rub up against the nose cone so if you have a 302, we turned the motor over by hand several times, tightening the prop nut each few turns until the prop shave the cone for us.

We then (much to Mark Wheelers shock who banned me for 30 days before getting an explanation of what we were doing) started the motor away from the pits with the wheel to let it finish the machining, and then I will take some emery cloth to smooth out. So if you have your motor and wheel, take a look and do this before a race.

Since we didn't run them, I am going to go document with video and GPS what this class will be like. I plan on having a boat cam, head cam, and shoreline footage as well as GPS readings, and if I get done soon, a GPS log showing acceleration curves.

Here's to a new class!

I did have several new drivers express interest in this at Delaware, so once we get them out, this will be a valuable asset to get some new blood in the sport, as well as have some fun among ourselves!
        Will your bannishment be over soon enough to run the 302SSH at the MHRA races ? Seems a little harsh in my opinion, but I was not there. I have done that very same thing on a mod engine.

Hopefully this gets resolved shortly, as this is the closest thing stock has had to a stock class in decades. Has some serious potential to grow.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
          Will your bannishment be over soon enough to run the 302SSH at the MHRA races ? Seems a little harsh in my opinion, but I was not there. I have done that very same thing on a mod engine.

Hopefully this gets resolved shortly, as this is the closest thing stock has had to a stock class in decades. Has some serious potential to grow.
          No worries, once the information was presented to him, it was receded. I will be allowed to race this season.

Comment

Testing CXLED

After spending approx 2.5 weeks away from home, I am physically tired and have decided that it would be in the best interest of my family and health not to push to test on Sunday. Sorry, but it looks like the data will come from Franklin.

Comment

My pit crew from Tilted Kilt will be so disappointed, they were hoping for sun and fun at the lake !

Comment

302'S at Franklin

The first running of 302's happened on Sunday the 26th at Franklin Pa. Five boats ran in choppy water. Only two of the boats had their motors fully broken in but four out of the five seemed to be pretty comparable in speed and handling. I was driving the fifth boat which had no breakin time so I participated rather than compete. Hopefully I will have more breakin in time to compete at Constantine.

Comment

I was in the turn 2 boat during 302SSH Sunday at Franklin......Dean Sutherland was in turn 1....Dana Holt on Judges stand......WE WERE ALL IMPRESSED with how close the run'n was and lead changes.....This was a fun class to watch and none of the fallow the leader racing you usually see in CSH.....Any of the rigs entered could of been up front and again, many lead changes in each flight.....That was how close and competitively they ran......I personally think the class is a success and has a solid future.

Dean?....Dana??
                  100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Mea Culpa

I thought Mike was not coming to Constatine. He is and HE will compete. I get my chance at Lakemore. Maybe.

Comment

I agree

I agree with everything Steve said. It looked really good, better than I thought it would. Speeds were in the high 58, but it was a short course. I think 60+ will be where it runs. I was worried the bigger boats would not carry, but they all looked fine. It basically looked like 20SSH. The top four could of all swapped position, they seemed to all be within 1MPH. One was a bit better, but I know that he broke his motor in for 40 plus minutes on a test wheel. I think he had a bit of a jump on the others. I also think we need to help one of the rookies with carb setting. After talking with him after, I think he is to rich. We will get him right for Constantine. If Jeff and I would of ran ours we would of had seven.

Very promising start.

Comment

I can't comment on how it looked because I was driving but , I had a great time and can't wait for Constantine. It felt plenty fast on the rough water and I found myself reaching for the O-hit lever a few times . A big thanks to everyone that put this class together , I think you got it right . Also a big thanks to everyone at Franklin for putting on a great event in difficult circumstances , we will make to long haul back next year !

Comment

Working...
                        X