No announcement yet.

Project Boat and Mod motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needles to say I have used a permanent marker and have put an arrow on the cover that points forward and another one that points up. Thanks to a good friend who told me to take the cover off to see if I had the pistons in 180 off and as I was removing the cover I said a couple sweet words.. The pistons were good.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• Anyone who said that they have never at least started to put a Merc back together with the pistons in backwards is fibbin'.
      kk

Comment

• Yes That !

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
        Anyone who said that they have never at least started to put a Merc back together with the pistons in backwards is fibbin'.
        kk
        Been there done that. Funny how they backfire when the pistons are in backwards............ hehehehehehehehehe.

We have a picture somewhere of Grandpa. Blew a gearbox at a race in in a rush to put a new one on..... yup, backwards. This was a long long time ago.

So you see Mike, real people who are really smart builders screw up too. We made some custom port covers a long time ago and yes, it is easy to install backwards. Wait till you drop a needle bearing and miscount thinking it is right.... you will learn a whole lot of words that you never knew were in your vocabulary !
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• I dropped a rod nut once and could not find it anywhere. Looked in the block, on the work bench, under the work bench and everywhere on the floor. I never could find it, but one of the pistons did. Ruined a perfectly good 44" block.
          kk

Comment

• Ok I have one last motor to deal with.. I have been checking the timing and it just don't seem to set up like my other mag motors.. All of my other motors I turn the flywheel clockwise till the dial indicator is a TDC and dial indicator is put on zero and the mag is in the full advanced position.. I turn on the buzzbox and it starts buzzing till I get to the point where the timing is set for turning the motor counterclockwise and the box stops buzzing..

This motor that will only go up to 50 MPH and stops the buzz box does not start buzzing till the dial indicated has moved to the 25 mark on the indicator and then shuts off at the set timing mark.. Does this sound right since my other three motors start right at the zero mark to buzz??

Hope this makes sense.. Like my wife say when I take off from the beach it sounds like all the others but once I get on plane which is a struggle there is nothing left.. From half throttle to full throttle there is no change but I am getting full advance and full throttle..

And yes the covers are on right and the pistons are correct.. I checked!!

Comment

• Double check the timing belt. When number one is on tdc the arrow on the top of the mag gear is pointing toward the center of the crank. Sounds like you may be off a tooth. (never forget the mag may be suspect. happens a lot)

Comment

• lost nut

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                I dropped a rod nut once and could not find it anywhere. Looked in the block, on the work bench, under the work bench and everywhere on the floor. I never could find it, but one of the pistons did. Ruined a perfectly good 44" block.
                kk
                Did you shake the block for rattles before install on the tower? I have found stuff this way that should not make rattles.
                "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Originally posted by fcliff View Post
                  Double check the timing belt. When number one is on tdc the arrow on the top of the mag gear is pointing toward the center of the crank. Sounds like you may be off a tooth. (never forget the mag may be suspect. happens a lot)
                  Thanks Cliff but I checked the arrow also and it was right on the money.. But the motor does act like the timing is retarded

Comment

• Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                    Ok I have one last motor to deal with.. I have been checking the timing and it just don't seem to set up like my other mag motors.. All of my other motors I turn the flywheel clockwise till the dial indicator is a TDC and dial indicator is put on zero and the mag is in the full advanced position.. I turn on the buzzbox and it starts buzzing till I get to the point where the timing is set for turning the motor counterclockwise and the box stops buzzing..

This motor that will only go up to 50 MPH and stops the buzz box does not start buzzing till the dial indicated has moved to the 25 mark on the indicator and then shuts off at the set timing mark.. Does this sound right since my other three motors start right at the zero mark to buzz??

Hope this makes sense.. Like my wife say when I take off from the beach it sounds like all the others but once I get on plane which is a struggle there is nothing left.. From half throttle to full throttle there is no change but I am getting full advance and full throttle..

And yes the covers are on right and the pistons are correct.. I checked!!
                    Sounds like your belt is ok. When your turn the crank back how many thousands are you going to get to the point where the buzz box is centered between buzzing and not buzzing?
                    kk

Comment

• Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                      Sounds like your belt is ok. When your turn the crank back how many thousands are you going to get to the point where the buzz box is centered between buzzing and not buzzing?
                      kk
                      Timing is set for 370 which is when the buzz box turns off

Comment

• if fixed mag,,, timeing a bit hi,,,

Comment

• 375 is way high. Unless I am missing something here, .235 is stock. I think on a mod motor roughly .285 is about as high as you want to go. I know some guys run more but? How the halibut do you even start it with that much advance. I wouldn't want to rope it, I can feel the stinging now. Are you sure this is what you have?
                          kk

Comment

• Could the point gap be off (dwell), or maybe the lobe worn?
                            "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                              375 is way high. Unless I am missing something here, .235 is stock. I think on a mod motor roughly .285 is about as high as you want to go. I know some guys run more but? How the halibut do you even start it with that much advance. I wouldn't want to rope it, I can feel the stinging now. Are you sure this is what you have?
                              kk
                              We have run .375 for 40 years on a Mercury Mag.
                              Larry Mac

Comment

• It is a swing mag so it don't start that high

Comment

Working...
                                X