No announcement yet.

Project Boat and Mod motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the project boat and motor are done. Hopefully everything works right..We will keep our fingers crossed just finished putting on the new ignitions system.. I show pictures of the install..It took about 45 minutes after I went and found 4 mounting bolts for step one in town.. Now I have two motors to break in for our first race Memorial Day weekend and hopefully my first engine will be fixed by then two so I will then have three motors ready for our short season..
    Attached Files
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

couple more
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, even if they don't work...They sure look fast!

Comment

Originally posted by john527 View Post
          Well, even if they don't work...They sure look fast!
          Thanks John.. Yours are awfull nice to.. I had a lot of help from all the great folks on this site

Comment

Well we should be in great shape this year.. Just purchased another basket engine to fix up so now we will have two engines for each boat. A main and a back up.. Thats it

Comment

The last project for this year is done.. Lets go racing
              Attached Files

Comment

Building a new Merc 44XS

I need to find a stator Mercury part number 5454A56 to complete my ignition system. Could also use a good coil pack for the engine.

Alan

Comment

Well after two races where I never got on plane I figured out the one engine I am pretty sure. builder error..We will try it in August at our next race. Now only one more engine with issues to figure out..We should be ready for 2014

Comment

Ya but it sure looks nice!!

Comment

• Originally posted by john527 View Post
                      Ya but it sure looks nice!!
                      John now I want more than pretty.. I am feeling really stupid right now

Comment

• Well

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                        John now I want more than pretty.. I am feeling really stupid right now
                        Learn from your mistakes. We all been there..... even the best builder sin the business have been there.

Funny story on a boat build, in the beggining of my boat building spree. I built a 750CCH, for Dad, and never could figure out the rattle in it. In the sponson area. For years we just ignored it. Well when the boat was crashed at a race I found the problem. I had to tear back some more deck to do the repair and found my missing set of pliers.....
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• I had a rattle in my Desilva hydro... One day I darn near blow it over and
                          found the rattle,,, a combination wrench 3/8 x 5/16.

Comment

• Since this has become a true confession thread now I will say what happened and it took two races to find this.. Or I should say I showed up but never got far from the shore. This was my first engine build and I used a custom intake cover that was milled smooth on the outside.. I will say it also has the deep cups on it but it does not work so well when it is installed upside down.. It virtually cuts off most fuel flow to the intake ports..

Comment

• Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                              Since this has become a true confession thread now I will say what happened and it took two races to find this.. Or I should say I showed up but never got far from the shore. This was my first engine build and I used a custom intake cover that was milled smooth on the outside.. I will say it also has the deep cups on it but it does not work so well when it is installed upside down.. It virtually cuts off most fuel flow to the intake ports..
                              You wouldn't be the first person to do this, the good thing it will be easy to fix. Years ago I remember one of the top racers in the country built a new motor and it wouldn't run right and he had the pistons in 180 degrees out.

Larry Mac

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry M View Post
                                Years ago I remember one of the top racers in the country built a new motor and it wouldn't run right and he had the pistons in 180 degrees out.

Larry Mac
                                I've done that... Never got the motor completely together before I noticed it but I have done it.

I saw one of the fastest runabout racers from the south (think "B" of B&N runabouts! ) with his motor all apart on his trailer fixing that problem one time... He found it during testing and got it fixed before the race so it just caused some extra work and didn't keep him from racing.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X