Project Boat and Mod motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pin

as suggested do the stepped pin to keep the same diameter in the reed gage unless that hole enlarged out as well? Suggest drill the pin hole deeper in the block and Locktite the pin in the block.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

The motor is gone..The hole is going to be welded up and a new deeper pin is going to be installed.. It will also be freshened up for this year..
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Does anyone off the top of their head know the part number for Boyesen Reeds for a 44

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          The motor is gone..The hole is going to be welded up and a new deeper pin is going to be installed.. It will also be freshened up for this year..
          Welding up the hole would have been my last resort. Any time you weld on something it is going to distort,and it will be almost impossible to get weld down in the bottom of the hole with making it a lot bigger which you don't have room. In other words you are going to have a cavity below the surface after welding the top. Now you will have a weld build up that you will need to machine smooth for the reed block to fit correct. And you now don't have any hole to line up on so it will need to be measured up close to make the pin hole line up. The Boysen reed numbers single stage B16684, Dual stage B241-16.

Larry Mac

Comment

Boyesen Reeds

Copied and pasted right from my 44XS Recommended Parts List...

This is for the single stage reeds, which are legal for D Stock.

"Part number for currently available Boyesen replacement reed set is #16684 and these are available through Boyesen dealers (this is Boyesen’s part #, not Mercury’s. Mercury reeds are NLA)"

Boyesen's web site should have the # for the two stage reeds some are using in D Mod.

Jerry

Comment

Reed Numbers

There, Larry had it...

Comment

Loose reed cages

One other thought came to mind about loose reed blocks. Although the front cases can be moved around with a small amount of machine work to allow for a larger carb opening we must remember that the block and case are machined as sets by Mercury. To move a front case its best to take about
                .005 inches of the front case and then line bore it to the proper dimension. We have done a bunch that way and it works well.

Alan

Comment

Testing in the aircraft industry

Originally posted by trident View Post
                  Geez, Alan. What are you using, marbles?

Fine grit bead, AC, #8, here, at moderate pressure. Inside and outside on all my Championship and Record setting Mod motors. Just clean to bare metal. Then wash, wash, wash.

Yes, blasting the daylights out of thin sections distorts significantly, especially blasting only one side. Too much pressure, too big media will do it.

Then, less aggressive media will cause less trouble.

I'd never use sand on powerhead parts, though it sure takes old paint off swivel brackets, towers and such. Sand cuts, so it leaves a nasty finish. If I use sand for heavy cleanup, I clean the cabinet thoroughly, and follow with beads for final finish.

Moderation, in all things.

Agree with the post about TIG weld and remachine the pin holes. I'd still recommend deeper holes with longer dowel pins, as those are less likely to break out the sides. No loose fit, either. Light press fit in repaired hole, just gently tap the pin in... A hand drill or even a drill press is not precise enough for me. A mill, with a competant (not me) machinist, thank you.

Jerry
                  Years ago as a test engineer for Northrop Grumman I ran a test program to determine the effects of various types of blast media on both thin and thick aluminum sections. Using a number of different types of media, but not sand, we found that the #80 glass beads caused very large distortions in thin material which could actually cause the surface to distort enough to make the test sample bend. On thicker sections we installed strain gages to determine if there was a change in stress on the opposite surface of the test strip. Well the answer is yes as the back side went into a compression stress field. In fact all media produced some level of distortion.

I only bring this up so that folks understand that media blasting parts to remove a finish or corrosion works well but must be done with some thought behind the process. I like to remove most of the paint with chemicals and then finish with a light media blasting.

Alan

Comment

So does anyone have a place they order their reeds from..I find a lot of options for the two stage stuff but not for the single stage reeds..I ordered a set from Outboard Paradise but since they dont take credit cards just PayPal it will be probably be a three week process with verifying the check and all.. I want to get going.. I have a new exhaust sytem and ignition system on the way..

Comment

Larry M

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                      So does anyone have a place they order their reeds from..I find a lot of options for the two stage stuff but not for the single stage reeds..I ordered a set from Outboard Paradise but since they dont take credit cards just PayPal it will be probably be a three week process with verifying the check and all.. I want to get going.. I have a new exhaust sytem and ignition system on the way..
                      Mike,

Single stage are out of stock, and have been for some time. There is no timeline for when the next batch will be able to ship from Boysen. We have purchased and used reeds from Larry M, he does some incredible work.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Highly recommend Larry M reeds. we have them in 3 engines
                        Art K

Comment

Oh Larry are you out there?? I will send PM

Comment

10 sets available

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Out...Categories.bok

Just checked the website and it states 10 available. If there not available there I think I have a new set.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                              http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Out...Categories.bok

Just checked the website and it states 10 available. If there not available there I think I have a new set.

Alan
                              Alan I ordered a set from them but it will take three weeks since they dont do credit cards.. I was hoping to break in some motors before then

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                                One thing we al must remember is that beed blasting can distort thin and thick parts. If someone agressivly beed blasts a crankcase cover a large compression residual stress is imparted on the outside surface. This stress causes the cover to grow in size and loose its roundness. This case distortions is also one of the main sources of loosing clamping force on the reed block. A better media is baking soda or walnut shells.

Alan
                                vapor blasting(water and media) with 220 grit aluminum oxide is the only way to go.
                                All of our aerospace parts are done this way with no distortion or heat generated, and at lunch time the D mod parts go into the vapor baster!

Comment

Working...
                                X