Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight clarification - New Tohatsu

[QUOTE
    If I were to enter that class I would try to invest in a Tohotsu. One can build one of those up from the scrap yard as well for a fraction of the cost of new, but it is not as easy to find. Best to buy a new one from Sid if possible.

Remember, this is just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Dave, you are indeed correct in that an M50D2 powerhead can be put together from some cast off fishing motor for short money, as long as one can find a tower and gearfoot to go with it. And, I'll sell them the parts they might need. But, Sid no longer produces the engine package. Partly as a result of the declining economy and partly due to restrictions the SORC stuck on the Tohatsu from the get-go, sales just tanked and I ended up taking over production of the engine while Sid agreed to continue to make the tower and gearfoot. Right now, I've got engines in crates and nobody is buying anything.

Bottom line is, if a person wants a new Tohatsu racing engine package they will need to cough up $6995 and I'll put one together for them. The 2012 price was $6750 and the last one of those just sold.

Alex
    Richmond Aero Marine
    home of the Tohatsu RAM50

Comment

Merc or Tohatsu

Either way you go is a good way....just try to show it to us in person this Aug. 17,18. That being said, it's always been nice seeing your Tohatsu among all those 44's up and down the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by kampkurz View Post
        Either way you go is a good way....just try to show it to us in person this Aug. 17,18. That being said, it's always been nice seeing your Tohatsu among all those 44's up and down the beach.
        Perhaps the best advice so far. The Top O' Michigan race is a big reason I switched from Mod to Stock outboard. I really enjoy racing with my friends in Indian River, by far, the best race in the world.
        Thanks to everyone who offered equipment for sale, and gave me advice.
        All things considered, either the Merc, or Tohatsu is a great way to go. Like what was said earlier, whatever fits your wallet.
        I remember fondly my time racing Dmod. I had a ton of Merc powerhead parts and plenty of time to tinker with the motor. When I bought my Tohatsu in 2006, my life had changed and I had little time to spend in the shop. The new motor worked as you would expect, all I did with it was put gas and occasional spark plugs in it.
        I am sorry to hear about the poor report concerning Tohatsu sales. I hope the MORC's move to prototype the Tohatsu into Dmod will help to spur sales. There has to be a strong reason to invest in a brand new motor, considering the cost difference between new and used. We as an organization (APBA) must find ways to support the new equipment makers, lip service doesn't cut it.
        I have decided to again purchase a new Bass/Tohatsu engine.
        Thanks again to everyone who offered help.

Comment

How much for a new Tohatsu powerhead?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
            Perhaps the best advice so far. The Top O' Michigan race is a big reason I switched from Mod to Stock outboard. I really enjoy racing with my friends in Indian River, by far, the best race in the world.
            Thanks to everyone who offered equipment for sale, and gave me advice.
            All things considered, either the Merc, or Tohatsu is a great way to go. Like what was said earlier, whatever fits your wallet.
            I remember fondly my time racing Dmod. I had a ton of Merc powerhead parts and plenty of time to tinker with the motor. When I bought my Tohatsu in 2006, my life had changed and I had little time to spend in the shop. The new motor worked as you would expect, all I did with it was put gas and occasional spark plugs in it.
            I am sorry to hear about the poor report concerning Tohatsu sales. I hope the MORC's move to prototype the Tohatsu into Dmod will help to spur sales. There has to be a strong reason to invest in a brand new motor, considering the cost difference between new and used. We as an organization (APBA) must find ways to support the new equipment makers, lip service doesn't cut it.
            I have decided to again purchase a new Bass/Tohatsu engine.
            Thanks again to everyone who offered help.
            Always go for the bettrer engine and in this case it must be the Tohatsu as for the merc to run with it you have to handicap the Tohatsu. Just the worst thing for racing. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc1 View Post
              How much for a new Tohatsu powerhead?
              Joe, you may or may not be aware, Daren has a good used powerhead for sale. If you want a new one, it might be best to call Alex at RAM marine. I think his number is in his ad on the front page of HR. I don't know the cost of a powerhead without the Bass down housing and gearcase. I have never priced them separately.
              Cheers.

Comment

A new shortblock and all the new parts you would need to build it up to a legal D Stock engine would run just about $4100, all individually packaged and numbered in a nice wooden box.... some assembly, but no special tools required.

MC,Visa, Disc accepted.

Alex
                207-737-4570
                Last edited by ram95; 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM. Reason: 2013 yen exchange rate change

Comment

Tohatsu

I think the powerhead Darren has is around $2500....might need an item or 2 to make it race ready. That is a very good price. his number is 360 540 2037

Comment

Working...
                  X