44XS or Tohatsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44XS or Tohatsu?

Last autumn, I ran into a financial situation and had to sell my Bass/Tohatsu motor. Since then I've gotten my finances straightened out and am ready to replace my D motor. I still have my beloved D runabout, and I love the power of the D class, so I'd like to stay with the D stock class. That being said, I would like to get a few opinions from other racers here. Should I buy another Tohatsu or should I go with a Merc 44xs? I've already heard the big debate about engine performance and parody in the APBA. I don't want to hear any more of that jazz. What are your opinions concerning the future outlook for the two motors? Are parts available for the two motors? Will the Merc continue to be a legal APBA motor? I'm considering the Merc, because there's a couple right here on Hydroracer that can be had for half the cost of a new Tohatsu.
    I guess I'm looking for a reason to buy one or the other.
    Thanks.

Let your wallet be your guide. Get something and have FUN. Time on this side of the dirt is short. Wish I started back racing when I was younger. Good luck. WILD BILL .

Comment

44 0r t0hot?

jeff, if u decide on a 44 i have a fresh one i am selling. not going to get into the debate on chioce. am in wisconsin. email at r_terzinski@yahoo.com

Comment

44XS/Tohatsu

There are advantages/disadvantages to both engines. The Tohatsu is more expensive to buy initially, but it is currently in production, and you can buy any part needed for it. It is faster on a shorter course, while the XS is a little quicker on a longer course. You can buy a good used XS motor for around 3k, while a decent Tohatsu will cost you around 5K used. Depends on how long you want to race and what you want to do parts wise...meaning do you want to scrounge or do you want to buy new parts Both motors have there good and bad points in my opinion. Dave

Comment

44xs

If a 44xs is your choice contact Jerry W he knows all about them and may have some for sale or lead you to good ones for sale

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/member.php?u=1772
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

44XS fresh one

motor has winning history, motor has been completely gone through rings,reeds,carbs,fuel pump,all eletric parts,and new foot with water pump and merc gears with a new Dewald prop ,pics are under jeepin21 or give me a call at 207-703-3539 we can work with you,

Comment

Tohotsu

I would go with a Tohotsu. One can always build up a 44XS for real cheap if you wanted to and have a spare engine. Depending on which organization you go with, the 44XS is real cheap to build. There are still plenty of blocks out there waiting to be found, and many people making pistons, rings, bearings, and now even the gearcases and gears are easy to find new. I do believe someone makes an ignition system for it that is reasonable, Rapare ? I know the brain boxes are available.

If I were to enter that class I would try to invest in a Tohotsu. One can build one of those up from the scrap yard as well for a fraction of the cost of new, but it is not as easy to find. Best to buy a new one from Sid if possible.

Remember, this is just my opinion.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Jeff,
                If you decide to go Tohatsu, I will be in Toledo on February 23rd for the Region 6 meeting. I can bring you one still in the crate that the SORC purchased for 6500.00.
                Of course there will be no charge for delivery. Ok, maybe a beer at the hotel bar.
                Let me know and I will haul it,
                Jeff
                http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
                  Let your wallet be your guide. Get something and have FUN. Time on this side of the dirt is short. Wish I started back racing when I was younger. Good luck. WILD BILL .
                  Very well said.
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
                    Could not say it better.. Wish I could of started earlier and then I would not be racing now as part of my "bucket list"
                    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                      I would go with a Tohotsu. One can always build up a 44XS for real cheap............ and now even the gearcases and gears are easy to find new. I do believe someone makes an ignition system for it that is reasonable, Rapare ? I know the brain boxes are available.

Remember, this is just my opinion.
                      ??????????????
                      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

It's hard to believe it was 20 years ago that I started racing Dmod. I used to buy plastic reeds and water pump impellers for my mod motor from the local Mercury dealer. Back then, I think I could buy any 44xs part right over the counter. That was so cool.
                        So it sounds like Merc aftermarket parts are readily available for the common failure items like water pump impellers, ignitions, reeds, etc. I worry about things like recoils, engine covers and flywheels.
                        I am already quite familiar with the Tohatsu parts availability. Since I used to own one, I know everything can be purchased brand new for it.
                        I'll give this some more thought.
                        Thanks to everyone who has offered their opinion and information so far.

Comment

Question

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH View Post
                          ??????????????
                          Ya lost me Steve. What are you saying ? Aftermarket parts are a lifesaver for outborad racers. Without the factory support in 2 strokes, I am thinking we will eventually be leaning real hard on after market.

I can think of at least a couple folks who have made parts available new for the 44 gearcase.

Jeff has a good point, not sure on the recoil stuff. I never have used one, so I don't have the first clue how often that breaks.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

no brainer....

Tohatsu all the way.........well worth the extra $$$............bulletproof ignition (no switchbox or stator failures), non-finicky carbs, simple recoil assy, easily replaceable reeds, bulletproof tower and lower unit and BEST of all..........ALL the powerhead components are available within a few days.....if a guy wants to race D for a long period of time, then the Tohatsu is well worth the money, but if one wants to get into D for a lower investment, then by all means get a 44XS, even just for the cool factor of the Mercury.....
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Daren, that's a great outline of all the plus's of the Tohatsu. Maybe I took them for granted after having one for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X