No announcement yet.

Tohatsu in 750mod..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple pretty good 44's(mod), and I think NBRA did an awesome job inserting the Tohatsu in the 40" D class (saved it, and they run almost equal) But now, has any one taken one of these and made it "more legal?" I mean to the point that the Yamato stocker and the OMC and Merc 15 stocker are (shaved, blueprinted, etc. etc) You know, legally supermodified ? Don't flame me on this, I'm just asking, I like the Tohatsu, probablly one in my near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
      Did you guys just kill the DSH class in APBA ? I know the class is very close to not existing as it is, but with this move, do any of you feel it will hurt the DSH class in stock ? It is tough to get enough DSH's in the midwest at local races (from my observations at the races) The 44XS guys around here anyways pretty much gave up and sold off or quit running. Some run their rigs with the mod bunch.

Does anyone feel like this will dilute the DSH class any further ? I have seen many posts on this site regarding the height issues and prop issues running a Tohotsu at the lower levels as required by the rules in stock. Now in Mod, you have no prop restrictions, and you have no height restrictions. Tell me how that is not motive to not race in DSH ?

Curious on opinions on this, as I do know who was the largest complainers of these height restrictions in APBA D Stock Hydro class.

actually this should help the DSH class grow, as it gives the potential new racer who can now buy a Tohatsu for DSH and make it more viable and a better financial decision to being able to race more than just one class. Remember, just because there is no height restriction does not mean they have to go above 1/2" (stock rule) and if they do, it is only a 5 minute change.

I actually got a confirmation that 2 new DSH/750ccmh rigs are being put together now in Reg12 and to grow the classes down there, which have not existed in close to 20yrs!!! Also, a new rig being put together in Reg10 also for this coming season........
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by propfxrO84 View Post
        I have a couple pretty good 44's(mod), and I think NBRA did an awesome job inserting the Tohatsu in the 40" D class (saved it, and they run almost equal) But now, has any one taken one of these and made it "more legal?" I mean to the point that the Yamato stocker and the OMC and Merc 15 stocker are (shaved, blueprinted, etc. etc) You know, legally supermodified ? Don't flame me on this, I'm just asking, I like the Tohatsu, probablly one in my near future.
        that was discussed and that is why the motor is "probationary"......
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          Sounds good to me.. More fun is always good and more racers always helps..Hopefully the rules stay the way they are now less the one year probation.

Parity is a stock term and hopefully will not be applied down the road to this class in the form of rule changes

so, join APBA (and SOA) and come race with us............
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
            so, join APBA (and SOA) and come race with us............
            I really want to since it sounds like there will be a class now.. I just have to figure where I can get my 60 foot rig into and what does not conflict with the two or possibly 3 races we are going to over here. Plus I need to come up with a pit crew.. I am working on it for sure..
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

just get here

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
              I really want to since it sounds like there will be a class now.. I just have to figure where I can get my 60 foot rig into and what does not conflict with the two or possibly 3 races we are going to over here. Plus I need to come up with a pit crew.. I am working on it for sure..
              i'll help you mike. never a shortage of hands out here. would love to have you back. standard region 10 pit crew fee... coors light
              Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Team 222R View Post
                i'll help you mike. never a shortage of hands out here. would love to have you back. standard region 10 pit crew fee... coors light
                Bill we can do that but since I have an electric starter and the work is lighter duty maybe cheap BUD light or homebrew!!
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by Team 222R View Post

you will have your hands full with your own 750ccmh..............no excuses from you this year boy!!
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

no excuses... except money..

750 & 850... soon as I get a little fun money saved up i get laid off again for another month... my new machined comp tower still needs a gearcase.. looks like I need to sell some treasure. having pizza & beer with J-Dub, King & Zonich monday night. curious to see what we come up with.

Comment

C.C s

What is going on guys? you start measuring american motors by C.C s, then complain about a foreign motor running against it, and then keep it from beating you?

Comment

Tohatsu

Not sure what you mean steve....

Comment

To hot so

You know what I mean, By measuring engines in C.C. s you now went Global, Once these ToHotsu's or whatever get dialed in,the Mercs, OMC,e.t.c are going to be a thing of the past. I mean look at the Pro's They went from M,A,B,C,D,and F to 125,250,350,500, 700,and1100cc, no more American Grown, yeah we make em go faster but it ain't the same!

Comment

not true steve

Hi Steve,

Tohatsu in 750 is "Probationary" as Daren has explained it. In region 10 we will look back at the Tohatsu as "the motor that saved" 750. I might be mistaken (but as my friend Pat Gleason will tell you, I'm rarely wrong) but in region 10 we might have had only 1 race in 2012 with enough boats to make a 750cch class. Surely we didn't have enough true Mods without a couple 44xs stepping up to make that class.

2013 would be even worse. I myself and believe Guedo are not running D this season. Gleason sold his Mercury to a non-APBA guy who races actively with The Widbey Island group. That leaves Bork & Cragin with Mercs. Both those guys run limited races. The D class has become a Tohatsu show not necessarily because they are faster but you can buy one new. You can buy a gearcase and any part on that motor new in the box. We will have more Tohatsu D's in 10 this year than Mercurys. It only makes sense that a guy can buy a new motor and be able to race with at least a chance to run near the front in more than 1 class. I think we owe it to our sport to promote sales of new D motors.

That being said I don't think anyone will argue the fact if we modify a new Tohatsu it will run away from a 50 year old motor design. IMO I really don't see that EVER being allowed to happen. There needs to be the Tohatsu in 750 but there are too many Mercurys to modify the Tohatsu.

I'm personally really excited about this "Probationary" year for the Tohatsu. How cool is it going to be to watch guys start to step up and buy D's again because they can run 3 classes with their motor now. Even if they are only competitive in DSH this will be good for APBA.
                            Last edited by Team 12R; 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

hopefully some guys will still want to step up into 850 for some testing and to make a class for us slow guys with v-rudes....

Comment

Think globally - shop locally

I can understand Steve Grays concerns and points of view as far as APBA 750 Mod. In NBRA, the 44 Merc has its own class which isn't threatened by the Tohatsu. There, the "D" class consists of the 40" Merc, the 44 T-bolt, the 44XS, and the Tohatsu, all just having a good ole time.

Maybe we'll do something like that in APBA. But, for now, we're hung up with the class we call 750 Mod and that's it. I can deal with it.

Personally, I do not want to upset (pronounced 'wreck' ) things for the folks who are running the 44Mod Merc.... which usually kicks my butt. However, my efforts to suggest restructuring the make-up of D get about as much attention as a fart-in-a-windstorm.

In the meantime, what all of us have to think about is "shopping locally". And, by that I mean buying stuff from the people who make it for us right here in AMERICA. And, that means gearfeet, towers, brackets, Sidewinders, and Tohatsu's (Merc owns part of Tohatsu).

Alex
                                Sponsored by Victoria Secret
                                'pushup or hushup'

Comment

Working...
                                X