No announcement yet.

Buying a new 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, do all Yamato lower units get blueprinted to the same dimentions? Is a Y80 gear case the same as the 102/302?
    Thanks for the insight.

Comment

If You Are Asking Me, I Don't Know

I know that the 302 gearcase can be bought from several sources. I think it is the same as the 102, but I think the 80's gear ratio is different, the housing might be the same, but I don't know...I know you can run a 302 gearcase on a 102 but you can't run a 102 gearcase on a 302, legally! (But, I think they measure the same)...

Comment

Bsoa/mrc

Apachemax,
        Get ahold of Jessie Swain and/or Mike Mackey, they can get you contact info for racers in your area and a schedule of upcoming boat club meetings. Attending a boat club meeting is a great way to meet some racers and get answers to your questions.

PM me if you need their contact info.
        Mike Pavlick

Comment

What clubs are in So. Cal.? I'd like to look at this closer, ... much closer, ...

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
            I know that the 302 gearcase can be bought from several sources. I think it is the same as the 102, but I think the 80's gear ratio is different, the housing might be the same, but I don't know...I know you can run a 302 gearcase on a 102 but you can't run a 102 gearcase on a 302, legally! (But, I think they measure the same)...
            The only difference is the tail cone. The 302 has a snap ring for the seal. There is no measurement on the tail cone.
            bill b

Comment

OK, ... so the rules pretty much allow 102 parts (that fit) on a 302, but 302 parts on a 102 are a no, no.

Sounds like your allowed to go forwards, but not backwards.

Is this correct?

Bill

Comment

Hi thanks for the info. I raced last year in the 521W boat in BSR. since then, I've purchased two more BSR rigs. Also own a 20SSH with a healthy Y80. Have recently ordered a CSR kit, and am going to be buying a 302 from Ric. But thanks for the new guy info and sorry for any misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                  The only difference is the tail cone. The 302 has a snap ring for the seal. There is no measurement on the tail cone.
                  I have a Y80 with a blueprinted foot. Would you blueprint the 302 foot to the same dimentions? If so, ill just file the 302 foot to match the 80 foot.

Comment

Tail cone

Bill
                    There is two measurements the same on the 102&302 nose cones,
                    CL 1.772 max lenght and CD 2.115 min thickness.
                    Prop shafts and bearings are differant on the 102 & 302 units.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
                      OK, ... so the rules pretty much allow 102 parts (that fit) on a 302, but 302 parts on a 102 are a no, no.

Sounds like your allowed to go forwards, but not backwards.

Is this correct?

Bill
                      no, not correct.............the 302 lower unit IS allowed on the 102, but not vice versa.......only other interchangeable parts are the cylinder head and carb.....oh, and 302 pistons are allowed in the 102 (after repinned)...
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Got it, ... thanks for the correction Daren. Looks like I had it upside down.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Apachemax View Post
                          I have a Y80 with a blueprinted foot. Would you blueprint the 302 foot to the same dimentions? If so, ill just file the 302 foot to match the 80 foot.
                          The APBA site used to have the proper dimensioned for a properly shaped gearfoot. However, I would highly recommend having a professional like Tom Cronk (mensioned above) shape it for you. He does a terrific job, you can have confidence it will pass inspection, and he is very reasonable in his price
                          Sean Byrne

Comment

He did say brand new 302 . not a used Jap race motor i dont thingk Ric has a brand new motor

Comment

302s are essentially new motors.

Contact Ric Montoya or Tom Johnston and they will hook you up. Have them do the kill switch (or have Del help you) and Tom Johnston or Cronk can put in new propshaft and shape the gearcase.

Looking foward to seeing your 20ssH run this year.

Enjoy!!
                              Mike

PS. Dan Evans may have had a CSR boat for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by david bryan View Post
                                He did say brand new 302 . not a used Jap race motor i dont thingk Ric has a brand new motor
                                I would buy a new American race outboard if there was one worth owning...

Comment

Working...
                                X