Buying a new 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new 302

I've been looking into starting CSR and decided on buying a brand new 302. What I would like to know is how much I'm gonna spend and what I have to do to make it legal.
    Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Apachemax View Post
    I've been looking into starting CSR and decided on buying a brand new 302. What I would like to know is how much I'm gonna spend and what I have to do to make it legal.
    Thanks for the help.
    contact Ric Montoya..

http://home.comcast.net/~montoya.r/yamato302.html

......the motor is legal right out of the box..................to make it easier to find good props, you might wanna have a 9/16 prop shaft installed and have Tom Cronk blueprint the lower unit...
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

What is blueprint? By saying blueprint does that mean it may come "not legal" and something else may need done?

Just wanna understand

Comment

Blue print means bringing everything close to the min specs that are in the rule book. That means the stock foot is fat and can be reshaped to min specks.
        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
          Blue print means bringing everything close to the min specs that are in the rule book. That means the stock foot is fat and can be reshaped to min specks.
          Thank You, I just could not understand what "blue printing" was supposed to mean.

Comment

A new 302 is a great choice to get started racing.
            Get in touch with some racers in your area by telephone, or face to face at a club meeting. You'll be amazed with the quality of advice and help they give.
            And I'll give Tom Cronk another endorsement. He can shape your lower unit correctly, and leave it looking like this:
            http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps6656b03c.jpg

Most racers replace the original propshaft with a 9/16 shaft. It's only necessary because nearly everybody does it. Consequently, all used props will be for the smaller 9/16 shaft.

Oh, also I think you'll need some kill switch wires installed on a new 302. No big deal.

Comment

Ric Montoya can ship it race ready except for the lower unit shaping. You can run it without shaping the lower unit though! Don't wait until the last minute to order one because it does take a while to get it to you. I bought one last summer and it took a month or so.
              Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

The term "Blueprint" means to bring that motor to "Original" Blueprinted specs.

Sometimes you can get the person to "De-Burr" the engine also. I have this done to my car engines when they get rebuilt. It removes the sharp inside and outside corners in the engines interior surfaces. Corners are where the stresses are and likely were the block/cases crack.

I am also thinking of getting a new 302 and have asked a few of the dealers about the price. They all seem to be at about $2,200. I originally thought of maybe converting my 102 to the 302 electronic ignition, but it's not cost effective, ... at all. That's what started the conversation.

Bill

Comment

Fyi!!!

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post

Sometimes you can get the person to "De-Burr" the engine also. I have this done to my car engines when they get rebuilt. It removes the sharp inside and outside corners in the engines interior surfaces. Corners are where the stresses are and likely were the block/cases crack.

I am also thinking of getting a new 302 and have asked a few of the dealers about the price. They all seem to be at about $2,200. I originally thought of maybe converting my 102 to the 302 electronic ignition, but it's not cost effective, ... at all. That's what started the conversation.

Bill
                  removal of metal on any cast or forged internal engine surface, including the intake, carb or exhaust is prohibited for the Yamato. Please read pg67 of the Stock Outboard Technical Manual ........available online from APBA.....
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                    removal of metal on any cast or forged internal engine surface, including the intake, carb or exhaust is prohibited for the Yamato. Please read pg67 of the Stock Outboard Technical Manual ........available online from APBA.....
                    No, no, ... no. I was talking about my cars engines as far as De-burring blocks and cases. Not the boat engines. Sorry for the miss understanding.

Bill

Comment

Just a thought , have you considered running the 302ssh class? It's the same motor only no blue printing and a spec prop . You could spend your rookie year concentrating on driving instead of the mechanics of the motor . If you decide to step up in the future you can have the 302 blueprinted and go C hydro or 20 with the same boat . Of coarse you need to find out if anyone else is running this class in your area .

Comment

302ssh

This past year was my rookie season. I would like to run CSR. I just needed some insight on the Yamato since I didn't know what had to be done to it and thank you all for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Apachemax View Post
                          This past year was my rookie season. I would like to run CSR. I just needed some insight on the Yamato since I didn't know what had to be done to it and thank you all for the help!
                          Apachemax where are you from ? WILD BILL ( CSR GREAT PIC )

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill 96D View Post
                            Apachemax where are you from ? WILD BILL ( CSR GREAT PIC )
                            I'm from south eastern Wisconsin. I've been to 4 races and I believe CSR ran at them all.

Comment

Yamato Specs or APBA's Specs?

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post

Bill
                              Every Yamato I've sen meets Yamato's spec to the NATS ASS..."Blue Printing" is what APBA has decided these gearcases should be cut to.

Comment

Working...
                              X